CISSP VS. CCSP

M@rv1nM@rv1n Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
I will ask this question in the cissp forum also. Which is more useful to get. I work with the DOD, and they use primarly CISCO equiptment, and i personally feel the CCSP is easier being that i work in that enviornment, but it will give me a warm and fuzzy having the CISSP. I need guidance. Im lookin at a 3 month 4+ hour days 7 days a week studying for both. So any advice is welcomed.
Working on the CCSP... Help

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    These are really two totally different certifications. One is for specific vendor equipment and the other covers a broad range of security topics.

If I were you I'd go ahead and knock out the CCSP while you actually have hands on with the equipment.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I don't think that's a reasonable time-frame for either though.
    Three months per CCSP exam I hope he means icon_wink.gif
  • M@rv1nM@rv1n Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    dynamik wrote:

Been studyin for both, im at a point where i need a direction.
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    M@rv1n wrote:
    dynamik wrote:

What kind of study materials have you been using?

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
    Slowhand wrote:
    M@rv1n wrote:
    dynamik wrote:

What kind of study materials have you been using?

CBT's and tech forums, and I work with some CISSP's and CCSP's. SO alot of reading and hands on ad lecture from my co-works.
    From what I understand, you'll be doing a whole lot more theory and reading for CISSP, and if you've been doing hands-on work with Cisco equipment, you're probably better off studying for the CCSP exams. You can always do CISSP later on, if you should still want it.

Slowhand wrote:
    From what I understand, you'll be doing a whole lot more theory and reading for CISSP, and if you've been doing hands-on work with Cisco equipment, you're probably better off studying for the CCSP exams. You can always do CISSP later on, if you should still want it.

Which one looks better on my resume. Im not doin this for love, Im doin it for money. Im askin cuz alot of you guys and gals have the certs im lookin for.
    If its just for money the CISSP probably has more earning potential. It will be a lot easier to to study for something you enjoy though.
    If its just for money the CISSP probably has more earning potential. It will be a lot easier to to study for something you enjoy though.

Ok, thanks. CISSP= More Money, CCSP= easier for me. but along with my other certs MCSE2K3: Security, Sec +, CCNA. My earning potential should ok right?
    The real question is, do you meet the experience requirements for CISSP? If you don't, then CCSP might be your only option, of the two. As far as earning potential goes, you'll be making plenty of cash either way, but CISSP is high in demand and very recognizable, (it's become an industry buzz-term that HR managers pounce on). The tradeoff, though, will be that you'll be put to work doing very difficult, time-demanding things. The name of the game will be high levels of responsibility, knowledge, and pressure, in order to maintain that paycheck. Experience will also play a big part in that, you'll be expected to demonstrate a high level of security expertise along with producing a long list of previous security management and administration work.

I have the Experience required for the CISSP, and I already have a co-worker to endorse me when I pass. I think I will go CISSP jus for the Money and the share EGO boosting of it. Thanks for all the advice, but keep it comming I am always open, my CISSP book is not here yet.