Options

Question

ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hey Guys I am due to start studying my CCNA in September at Uni I want to also get a microsoft exam under my belt before I start I am looking at the self study route for Microsoft as I recently was quoted a price for the MCSA of nearly 4k icon_eek.gif

The exam I am looking at to get before the CCNA is 70-270 I have worked as 1st line support techy and a I.T techinician and have been in the I.T sector for coming up 4 years now, I feel at ease using Xp and realistically if I set my mind to it could hammer through this exam if I put the effort in.

My question is how long would it take me to get the 70-270 secondly is it a good idea to get this before I am due to start my CCNA i just want to build up a diverse range of certs to make my cv stand out the eventual aim after the CCNA would be to become MCSA qualified and get the 3 remaining Microsoft certs.

Am I being a idiot and should just stick to the CCNA for now? lol
Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "

Comments

• Options
    SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    Personally I would say get the Vista Exam if you not planning to finish your Microsoft Exams till later on, would be more future proof I guess.

If you want the 270 then I would say 2-3 weeks with 2 hours a night should do it.

Though if you have used some of the advance features already then that time may be shorter.

Normally I would say sticking to one path would be better but if your waiting around till September to start your CCNA then why not make the most of your time?
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Yup, your best bet would be to study for something like the Vista exam. This exam will count towards both the MCSA/MCSE route, count as its own MCTS certification, and also counts towards MCITP: Enterprise Administrator. The XP exam would get you MCP status, but not MCTS or count towards the MCITP, only the MCSA/MCSE. If you're looking for a "one-shot" exam now, and then maybe do more Microsoft stuff after your CCNA is behind you, I'd highly recommend the Vista test.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thing is though guys I havent got a computer capable of running vista lol
    and i'm guessing I would need access to a pc to practice what I am learning how long do I have left until they phase out the XP exam?

If I get MCP then surely that would be a good thing to add to my cv then go straight onto my CCNA and continue with the Microsoft route afterwards.
    Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "
  • Options
    docspawndocspawn Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Not wanting to put you off but the 70-270 is a lot harder than you'd think and
    so cant say that you should pass after 2-3 weeks studies. I found it quite hard as
    a first exam, its not so much in the way of the subject but the way the exam is
    laid out. If your not use to the question format then it can be quite hard to understand
    what they are asking. By all means give it a month or 2 studies but you really need to
    try a few mocks like transcenders to give you a feel of the accual exam.
    Took me 4 months and 2 sits before i cracked it !
    Cant comment on the Vista
    Good luck
    D.S.
  • Options
    Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    It took me a good solid month of studying for the 70-270 to pass it. It is a harder exam than people think.
  • Options
    HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    ally_uk wrote:
    Thing is though guys I havent got a computer capable of running vista lol
    and i'm guessing I would need access to a pc to practice what I am learning how long do I have left until they phase out the XP exam?

If I get MCP then surely that would be a good thing to add to my cv then go straight onto my CCNA and continue with the Microsoft route afterwards.

You don't need to run Aero. You just need to run Vista.

Virtualize it.

Use the Microsoft Virtual Lab Series online.

Point here being is there are ways to get hands on with Vista even if your machine can't necessarily run Vista in all its majesty.
    Good luck to all!