Options

SQL Server 2005-Database Mail

savior fairesavior faire Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hope I am not posting a question that has already been answered. I did do a search but did not find any posts relating to database mail.

Tonight I decided to try to install and use database mail, using the Wizard as described in the Microsoft Press 70-431 Text. Easy enough, took a few minutes. Nothing complicated.

I then attempted to send the "test email", and it failed, with the error message:
"Could not connect to the mail server. (No such host is known)"

I imagine this means the mail system could not find an smtp server named:
"mail.adventure-works.com", as the text indicated was the name of the mail server.

Database Mail is enabled as well as Service Broker. I used the Wizard.

I do not have an SMTP server on my pc, and this may be why I received this error. Does this make sense. The text did not suggest a separate mail server is required... the sql books online sort of alludes to it.

Comments

• Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    That server doesn't really exist, it's just an example from the book for you to replace with your own SMTP server. You could set it up to use your existing email account with whoever your ISP is if you want to verify it works.
  • Options
    That server doesn't really exist, it's just an example from the book for you to replace with your own SMTP server. You could set it up to use your existing email account with whoever your ISP is if you want to verify it works.

Yes, I thought so. I was also wondering if I could use the smtp server with my isp, which is comcast. Interesting, I will try that right now.

I appreciate your reply.

Thanks.
  • Options
    You could set it up to use your existing email account with whoever your ISP is if you want to verify it works.

HEY!!! It worked!! WOW... one step closer....!!!