Syngress "Hurt Book" Sale

AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
http://www.syngress.com/bookseries/?series=HURT%20BOOK%20SPECIALS

They may have it fixed by the time you read this but at the moment some of the books are marked as $0.00, if you add this to your cart it breaks your order until you logout and login again. Other than that there's some great knowledge to be had for uber-cheap :) .
We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?

Comments

• bwcartybwcarty Member Posts: 422 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the tip. I just picked up the 70-293, 70-294, and 70-297 study guides for about $25 with shipping.
    Help eradicate blood cancers with a donation to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    If you are only interested in the latest edition of book, check with Syngress to see if a new edition of any book is on their release schedule. Most of the books listed are 2-3 years old, so there may not be a new edition forthcoming. Also, many of these books are even more inexpensive from the new/used book sellers on Amazon.com.
  • AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Well I picked up 8 general Infosec books for $40. Me = :)
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
    Ahriakin wrote:
    Well I picked up 8 general Infosec books for $40. Me = :)
    Yes, quite a few good ones are only $6.95US each.
  • ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    I ordered a couple of ebooks on WireShark and VMWarefor $6.95 each. The VMWare book was written in 2005, but it should be sufficient for an introduction. I really liked Syngress' 70-293 study guide and I can only hope their other titles are just as good. Plus, you can't beat the price.
  • astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    If the VMware book you bought was the scripting one (http://www.syngress.com/catalog/?pid=3704) its a good book, but doesn't cover any of the basics and expects you to have a solid grasp of ESX & VirtualCenter.
  • pwjohnstonpwjohnston Member Posts: 441
    How do they define hurt book?

Damage to the cover or missing pages?

Damage to the cover who cares?

Missing pages could be a big issue.
    pwjohnston wrote:
    How do they define hurt book?
    The book may have external marks or cuts, the cover or pages may have been crushed in storage or transit, or anything else that would make the book look like you don't want to pay full price for it. The printers don't check every book for for blank, mis-printed, missing, or duplicate pages, which are all manufacturing mistakes. If you ever get a book like that, contact the publisher and they will send you a new book, usually without needing to return the erroneous one.
  • AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Did anybody else have trouble with this? They never shipped my order and haven't responded to about 6 emails and 2 phone calls (Got their number from Google finance as it's not on the site but it's just an answering machine). I've gone from loving their stuff to will never order from again. Muppets. I guess I have to get the CC company to cancel it. Apologies if anyone else had similar troubles, now I feel guilty for recommending it.
  • bwcartybwcarty Member Posts: 422 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I hadn't received anything about 2 weeks after my order, so I sent an email to customercare@syngress.com about it. They replied back later that day and said that the 70-293 book I ordered was on backorder, and that was holding up my shipment. The lady who replied said she'd ship out the rest of my order via 2nd day air that day, and the 70-293 was ship as soon as they had it in again. Two days later, I had two shipments from Syngress and all of the books I ordered.
    Help eradicate blood cancers with a donation to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.