What is best ? MCSE 2003 or MCSA 2003 + MCITP: Server Admin

CosmocatCosmocat Member Posts: 60 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi,

I have a little dilemma here and wonder if the experts can help me out. I have 70-291 left for MCSA 2003 but wonder if its better to go some other way ? I have limited time to complete my certs and must be ready before the end of november 2008.

What is best (1 or 2) below and what would give you the best credit (chance to get a new job) if you aim towards network admin ? I have been working with IT for some years but it's helpdesk and runner + a job as admin/support at a company with 10 people only. I'm sick and tired of it and now I'm aiming high to change my situation.

1. MCSE 2003 (5 tests left: 70-291, 70-292, 70-293, 70-298, 70-284).
2. MCSA 2003 (1 test left: 70-291) + MCITP (2 test left: 70-648, 70-646 ): Server Administrator

Or maybe you have some other suggestion based on your experience..please let me know!

Thanks for you opinion icon_smile.gif

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    2003 is going to be the dominant platform for quite awhile, so my vote is to stick with the 2003 MCSE.
  • Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    If it's a choice... MCSE. Much more material there. You would be repeating yourself with the MCITP. Not to say it's not good to be familiar with the Vista/2k8 line up though.

But I would still say MCSE.
    -Daniel
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I would do the MCSE because its still current and will be around for a while yet...then do 2! :D
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    MCSE also still has wide recognition. Most people hiring have no idea what MCITP even is.

MCSA was very similar when I first got into IT. I got it on the way to MCSE, thinking that could help get me an Admin type of position, but all I was asked was if I had MCSE. When I pointed out I had MCSA though, they didn't care.
    Good luck to all!
  • royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Another vote for MCSE and eventually upgrade to MCTS 2008 then MCITP 2008.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    HeroPsycho wrote:
    MCSE also still has wide recognition. Most people hiring have no idea what MCITP even is.

MCSA was very similar when I first got into IT. I got it on the way to MCSE, thinking that could help get me an Admin type of position, but all I was asked was if I had MCSE. When I pointed out I had MCSA though, they didn't care.

HeroPsycho's case was also my case. Once I got the MCSE I began getting contacted for higher level jobs. As an MCSA I was still always gettinh help desk positions. If you have MCSA and three years experience it might be different.

Additionally I have the MCITP EA and have yet to get any recognition for it. Have yet to encounter 2008 in the field yet either. I still run into 2000 quite often, though. So that should tell you how long 2003 will of benefit to you!
    Additionally I have the MCITP EA and have yet to get any recognition for it. Have yet to encounter 2008 in the field yet either. I still run into 2000 quite often, though. So that should tell you how long 2003 will of benefit to you!

This is why I haven't gone for it yet. When Server 2008 becomes the norm for clients just as Server 2003 eventually replaces 2000 Server for most businesses, I will go for the certification. To me, there's more important things to be studying for that are much more abundant in the field. For example, Server 2003, Security (ISA, protocols), SAN, Office Communications Server, SQL, SMS, MOM, SCOM, ITIL (not so abundant but a good knowledge base to work on), etc...
  • HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    royal wrote:
    This is why I haven't gone for it yet. When Server 2008 becomes the norm for clients just as Server 2003 eventually replaces 2000 Server for most businesses, I will go for the certification. To me, there's more important things to be studying for that are much more abundant in the field. For example, Server 2003, Security (ISA, protocols), SAN, Office Communications Server, SQL, SMS, MOM, SCOM, ITIL (not so abundant but a good knowledge base to work on), etc...

The one good thing about getting it now is you'd have an advantage potentially to land positions who are migrating to 2008 when they come up. But for long term jobs, MCSE would be more valuable for now.
    Good luck to all!
  • JNUNJNUN Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm just now getting started toward my MCSE. It was good reading this. I also had the question of whether or not to get the MCITP. I have a question though! Is all of the exams as "wordy" as the practice. I have the testout cd's and most of the questions give a lot of information that is really more than needed. I wish the questions were more straight to the point.
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    JNUN wrote:
    I'm just now getting started toward my MCSE. It was good reading this. I also had the question of whether or not to get the MCITP. I have a question though! Is all of the exams as "wordy" as the practice. I have the testout cd's and most of the questions give a lot of information that is really more than needed. I wish the questions were more straight to the point.

Yes, you will find the MS exams very "wordy" icon_lol.gif ...usually going into several paragraphs for one question!
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
    nel wrote:
    JNUN wrote:

Yes, you will find the MS exams very "wordy" icon_lol.gif ...usually going into several paragraphs for one question!

Worst exam I've had so far is 70-285. The Case Studies were sometimes more than 2 pages long; far longer than the 70-297 case studies. And there were 11 case studies unlike the 4 case studies for 70-297. Hated the 70-285 exam. :/
  • CosmocatCosmocat Member Posts: 60 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks SO much for all the input about this dilemma. I'll aim 100% to be ready with MCSE before the end of november. After that it's over to the Cisco track but that's another story for now :D