WinModems?

james3302james3302 Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am wanting to install RedHat Linux 7.1 on my computer but I have a Lucent Win Modem and last I heard Linux does not support Win Modems. Is this still true? I have some experience with Linux from college(took 2 courses on it and created a NFS).

Comments

• nyma96nyma96 Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    It's true that linux doesnt support winmodems...but I heard some modems could be used...depends on the chipset...

try this link...

http://www.physcip.uni-stuttgart.de/heby/ltmodem

also try googling linux+winmodem
  • ucanbbreacheducanbbreached Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have always heard but have never seen a successful modem deployment on LINUX. This is the opportunity to justify a high speed connection (cable, DSL) and utilize linux with an internet connection. Also, if you don't want to pony up for high speed you can network two workstations with a hub or a switch. One has Windows XP the other with LINUX. connect them both to the switch (preferred) and assign them both an address with the same subnet. With the XP workstation enable Internet Connection Sharing on the modem connection. Then just assign the LINUX NIC a gateway of the address that is assigned to the XP box.

You may have to reassign the gateway each time but you'll save money by not having a high speed. (Unless you use $A$O$L$)
  • RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have several different winmodems and have always been able to sort them with RedHat 8.0 / 9.0 and Xandros.
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007