Options

DataBase Mirroring and Manual Failover-question.

savior fairesavior faire Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello everyone,

I have a question about manual failover in a high-safety(synchronous) configured mirroring session.

I am using PrepLogic study/exam materials and a question about manual failover seems to be incorrect. Here is the question and explanation as to why it is correct:

B. Manual failover can only occur with database mirroring sessions running in high-safety
modes.
Correct. This type of role switch is particularly appropriate when you want to upgrade
hardware or software on either the principal server or mirror server in a database
mirroring session. Because you can only implement a manual failover with high-safety
mode, there is no possible loss of data.

Based on all my studies I have determined that manual failover is required when mirroring is configured as High Performance(async/low safety) and High Protection(synchronous/high safety).
Since manual failover is required in a High Performance configuration, this means this answer is incorrect.

Thanks for any responses.

Comments

• Options
    brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    I could be wrong, I'm tired and dont feel like finding the straight answer right now...

but I thought that the only time you had automatic failover was with high availability and a witness, else it was manual failover.
  • Options
    Thanks for the reply Brad.

Manual failover, according to all documentation I have read(including the MS Press 70-431 text) can occur in high performance(low-safety, no witness) and high protection(high safety with no witness).

I appreciate your reponse.
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    savior faire, are you using the full version of preplogig including the sims? If so, how do you like it?
  • Options
    savior faire, are you using the full version of preplogig including the sims? If so, how do you like it?

I do not have the simulations... just the multiple choice. I was not aware they offered those, I should check their web iste again.

I had asked for feedback and/or opinions about PrepLogic materials. I purchased the exams, the Mega Guide, the Audio CDs for both the Lecture and Quiz Me Series. I listened to the CDs when in the car, which I rarely am in, and while going to sleep at night(better than sleeping pills!).

When I first started the PrepLogic Practice Exams and read the first question, my eyes glazed over and I had no clue what the question was asking. I did customized tests of 10 to 15 questions at first, depending on how much time I had. I barely got any questions right. Forced me to get into the SSMS GUI and the documentation, and really get buckled down. I seem to have gotten my act together...