Should I go for High MS and CISCO certs?

pLuhhmmpLuhhmm Member Posts: 146
Well im young, 18, and i was wondering if I should go for both MS and CISCO certs, Id love to be a CCIE and Microsoft Certified Master!!! I know its a lot of work but just looking for opinons since i just graduated HS. btw dont give me mean looks if you seem me at work in the future >.<
Ever wonder what makes special sauce so special? YO!

Comments

• astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    No taking both Microsoft and Cisco to their expert levels would be a very bad idea. To take it to that level you will need to specialize or you will be a generalist (which has limited remuneration possibilities). Everyone wants to be an expert in everything, but you really can't. Take some entry-level courses/training/certs in both of them and decide what peaks your interest the follow that until it becomes boring or you find something even more interesting. You're young, try not to plan past a couple of years. :)
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Don't tell that to dtlokee!

I think you should start out by trying a little of everything, and then following through with something you become passionate about. If it turns out that you're bored with a CCIE, you can always add on the MS certs later. Like astorrs said, set short-term goals and go from there.
    dynamik wrote:
    What can I say, some people are cert junkies. icon_lol.gif

If it's all about remuneration for you (its not for me, but it is for many people here), I still think the opportunities are better once you get to a certain level by specializing in a particular subset of technology. There is lots of work for generalists - and it's a great way to move up and gain experience, which you need just to even know what you like! But the very best paying consulting gigs go to people who live, eat and sleep a particular subject.
  • IT ManIT Man Member Posts: 159
    pLuhhmm wrote:
    Well im young, 18,

Oh to be 18 again, the things I would do different.
    Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll still land among the stars. - Les Brown
  • vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    IT Man wrote:
    pLuhhmm wrote:
    Well im young, 18,

Oh to be 18 again, the things I would do different.

Definitely. icon_lol.gif
  • CGN_SpecCGN_Spec Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • jryantechjryantech Member Posts: 623
    MICROSOFT :D
    "It's Microsoft versus mankind with Microsoft having only a slight lead."
    -Larry Ellison, CEO, Oracle

Studying: SCJA
  • AldurAldur Member Posts: 1,460
    JUNIPER !! :D

Just thought I'd join in the fun :)
    "Bribe is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. The X makes it sound cool."

-Bender
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Aldur wrote:
    JUNIPER !! :D

Just thought I'd join in the fun :)

Disqualified! Cisco and MS were the only options.

Thanks, and please play again!
  • AldurAldur Member Posts: 1,460
    dynamik wrote:
    Disqualified! Cisco and MS were the only options.

Thanks, and please play again!

aww... I don't think I can win this game icon_sad.gif
    "Bribe is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. The X makes it sound cool."

-Bender
    Aldur wrote:
    aww... I don't think I can win this game icon_sad.gif
    Not with dynamik acting as judge. :P
  • MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    dynamik wrote:

I think you should start out by trying a little of everything, and then following through with something you become passionate about. If it turns out that you're bored with a CCIE, you can always add on the MS certs later. Like astorrs said, set short-term goals and go from there.

Thats exactly who I thought of when he said that too. Funny
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!