Options

Passed CISSP!!!

jwlazarjwlazar Member Posts: 21 ■■■□□□□□□□
I had sat the exam on May 25th after an excruciating one-week bootcamp and six months of intense self-study with Shon Harris' 4th edition guide and a few marathon sessions of CBT nuggets. I felt blindsided by the topics in the actual exam to the point that I was reasonably sure that I hadn't passed. Fortunately, ISC(2) found otherwise and sent me the notification last Monday. :D

Ironically, I had drilled myself on the security models (Bell-Lapadula, Biba, Clark-Wilson, etc.) but didn't get many questions covering that section. I did get quite a few questions on BCP and Common Criteria, as well as a bunch of questions covering application security and risk management.

The instructor in the bootcamp was phenomenal (he was a contributor to some of the material in the official ISC(2) guide). The tips he had for the exam are what probably made the difference between a pass and fail. The CBT nuggets were also a good complement to the material in the book.

I'm just glad it's all over. icon_wink.gif

Comments

• Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Congratulations!

What was the instructors name? I find that kind of information really valuable as the quality of trainers can really vary from one to the next.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    So do you have the sponsor and experience validation left, or is that all OK'd as well?

Regardless, you have my congratulations! That's a huge accomplishment, and I'm not ashamed to admit that I'm quite jealous.
  • Options
    shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,026 Admin
    Yes, congratulations! icon_thumright.gif I'm hoping to take the CISSP exam later this year myself. I know what you mean about the "six months of intense self-study."

Do you think that you'd have passed without the bootcamp?
  • Options
    ULWizULWiz Member Posts: 722
    Good job on the pass. Whats next for you?
    CompTIA A+ Nov 25, 1997
    CompTIA Network+ March 7, 2008
    MCTS Vista 620 June 14, 2008
    MCP Server 290 Nov 15, 2008
    MCP Server 291 In Progress (Exam 12/28/09)
    Cisco CCENT In Progress
    MCP Server 291 In Progress
    C|EH In Progress
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    Congratulations, All the best :)

Question:

six months intense study.

how many hours per day on average ?
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    mengo17mengo17 Member Posts: 100 ■■■□□□□□□□
    jwlazar wrote:
    I had sat the exam on May 25th after an excruciating one-week bootcamp and six months of intense self-study with Shon Harris' 4th edition guide and a few marathon sessions of CBT Nuggets. I felt blindsided by the topics in the actual exam to the point that I was reasonably sure that I hadn't passed. Fortunately, ISC(2) found otherwise and sent me the notification last Monday. :D

Ironically, I had drilled myself on the security models (Bell-Lapadula, Biba, Clark-Wilson, etc.) but didn't get many questions covering that section. I did get quite a few questions on BCP and Common Criteria, as well as a bunch of questions covering application security and risk management.

The instructor in the bootcamp was phenomenal (he was a contributor to some of the material in the official ISC(2) guide). The tips he had for the exam are what probably made the difference between a pass and fail. The CBT Nuggets were also a good complement to the material in the book.

I'm just glad it's all over. icon_wink.gif

CONGRATS !!!!!!
  • Options
    jwlazarjwlazar Member Posts: 21 ■■■□□□□□□□
    What was the instructors name? I find that kind of information really valuable as the quality of trainers can really vary from one to the next.

I'll pm you the name; I'm not sure if the trainer would appreciate my discretion in referring him on a public forum. The organizer was TrainingCamp.
    So do you have the sponsor and experience validation left, or is that all OK'd as well?

Both, although I have to tailor my resume since I haven't updated it in almost two years. icon_confused.gif
    how many hours per day on average ?
    Do you think that you'd have passed without the bootcamp?

On dedicated days, about 4-6. On the bootcamp days, 12+. icon_eek.gif

The bootcamp definitely helped to refresh my memory and get the juices flowing in terms of terminology and mindset. It wasn't comprehensive, but still enough to give one a good basis of the 10 domains.
    Good job on the pass. Whats next for you?

Probably a CCNP module to renew my CCNA which expires next month icon_sad.gif , then the CEH followed by either the CISA or one of the SANS programs (GIAC or GSEC).
  • Options
    leefdaddyleefdaddy Member Posts: 405
    Awesome! Congrats!
    Dustin Leefers
  • Options
    gojericho0gojericho0 Member Posts: 1,059 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Quite and accomplishment! Congratulations bowing.gif
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Congratulations on the pass, sounds like you had quite the gauntlet leading up to it. Good luck with the Cisco exam(s) and the C|EH.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    bcairnsbcairns Member Posts: 280
  • Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    congrats
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete