Questions about WLAN standard

kadshahkadshah Member Posts: 388 ■■■□□□□□□□
I just picked up Richard Deal CCNA book which says that the number of channels for 802.11b
is up to 23 channels and for 802.11a it says 3 channels. Lammel's book say's just the opposite 802.11b has 3 channels and 802.11a has 23 channels. So which is it? Also there's a huge difference in range comparison on 802.11 for both books. I don't think Cisco would include test range in the exam since there is different opinion from different vendors or would they?

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    802.11b/g has three non overlapping channels and 802.11a has been expanded to 23 non overlapping channels.
    kadshah wrote:
    I don't think Cisco would include test range in the exam since there is different opinion from different vendors or would they?

The only vendor opinion you should worry about for a Cisco exam is Cisco's!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • netwaynenetwayne Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    802.11b/g has three non overlapping channels and 802.11a has been expanded to 23 non overlapping channels.
    kadshah wrote:
    I don't think Cisco would include test range in the exam since there is different opinion from different vendors or would they?

The only vendor opinion you should worry about for a Cisco exam is Cisco's!

By different vendors, I think he meant different books. Sounds like he is getting conflicting information in the different books.
  • kadshahkadshah Member Posts: 388 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Actually from both vendors and books. But I had already memorized the right
    answer I just wanted to make sure, thanks!

Richard Deal's book is excellent but there are a few errors.
    As long as you know can eyeball his typos it
    shouldn't be a problem but if you are new to CCNA the conflicting
    answers from different books will drive you nuts.