JNCIA-EX Fast Track

networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
Anyone plan on taking advantage of the free Juniper Enterprise Switching certification through the Fast Track program? It is free through August 31st and then after will be 50% off.

I might go through some of the material, but won't take the exam since I have never actually seen a Juniper switch. It is hard to pass up on a free certification though....

Here is a link with more information.
An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.

Comments

• malcyboodmalcybood Member Posts: 900 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I started going through the "juniper as a second language" course for the jncia-er when they first made the exams / courseware free, but just stopped as i reckoned i don't work with the kit so there wasn't much point in going for the cert.......at the momemt......

Like yourself I still like to have a browse at the technology for my own knowledge / industry awareness though so thanks for the link.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I was going to do the JNCIA-ER when the fast track first came out as well. My local testing center stopped doing Prometric though so I decided it wasn't worth the travel at the time since I only worked with Juniper a few times....
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • nullrouternullrouter Member Posts: 52 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I took the pre assesment exam to see what it was like - pretty much if you know your switching technologies from say doing cisco studies, you shouldnt have any problems, just remember IEEE standards no cisco protocols, naturally.
    CCIE R&S All Done :D

Web Blog of sorts:
    http://blog.nullrouter.com
  • keviokevio Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    you can fast-track for the following:-

JNCIA-ER
    JNCIA-EX
    JNCIS-ER
    JNCIS-ES

The new Enterprise Switching courseware and preassessment exam have been added to the Fast Track Web Portal with Prometric vouchers offered at a 100% discount through August 31, 2008!

Take advantage of this now, because on September 1, 2008, vouchers will be offered at a 50% savings

cheers

Kevio
  • zoidbergzoidberg Member Posts: 365 ■■■■□□□□□□
    For those that are affiliated with a Juniper Networks Partner, you may want to check out the Partner Center of Juniper's website for some Lab Access. On the Training & Certification page there is a link to Training Virtual Labs. The labs are available 24x7, several pods each, and you get a 60 or 90 minute time slice. Good opportunity to check out the switches in action. They also have setups for ES, FW, IDP, VPN, WX, UAC.

My apologies to those that do not have access.
  • ccnpninjaccnpninja Member Posts: 1,010 ■■■□□□□□□□
    thanks for the info,
    I have a 128k internet connection. Is it the cause of the slowness of command displaying?
  • zoidbergzoidberg Member Posts: 365 ■■■■□□□□□□
    no... it was pretty slow for me on faster connections.... even in the middle of the night. a couple times it even crashed completely on me icon_sad.gif

when you first connect to the switches, you're using the console port. once you configure inband management on the switches, you can telnet to the switches instead. that should improve performance somewhat.
  • PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Thanks for the info networker :)

Anyone on these boards who uses a lot of juniper switching and routing gear and has experience to compare to Cisco, would love to hear opinions.

Cheers,
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • mamonomamono Member Posts: 776 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The material looks interesting.

http://www.juniper.net/training/fasttrack/

I'm not familiar with Juniper, but I've heard a lot of good things about them. How would people rate the learning curve for Juniper material coming from a Cisco foundation?
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    mamono wrote:
    The material looks interesting.

http://www.juniper.net/training/fasttrack/

I'm not familiar with Juniper, but I've heard a lot of good things about them. How would people rate the learning curve for Juniper material coming from a Cisco foundation?
    I've actually worked with a couple of network-gurus that have experience with both Cisco and Juniper equipment, (among other things). They've said that it's very much like going from Microsoft to Linux, or vice-versa. You're not re-learning the foundational material, like TCP/IP fundamentals and subnetting, you're learning how to do all that stuff the Juniper way, as opposed to the Cisco way. And, just like with operating systems, once you make the jump past 'how do I do this thing I know on Cisco, on a Juniper box', you begin to explore the features Juniper was designed to do differently, and learn to take full advantage of the "new" hardware and software. Basically, you begin making the transition to the Juniper way, as opposed to trying to make a Juniper box do nothing more than imitate what a Cisco box can do.

Don't take it from me, though. I'm still a Cisco-guy; I've only done work on one single Juniper Netscreen firewall in all my days, and that was through the GUI. icon_lol.gif

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.