Question regarding MCSA with security specialization.

KatanaSamKatanaSam Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
I am planning to take my Network+ exam in a month or so and then start into the MCSA for Win 2003 certification path. I understand that my A+ and Network+ can count as the elective and that I will only have the 3 core exams to take to be MCSA certified. But ultimately I would like to eventually get the MCSA with security specialization.

My questions are these: Can you get the MCSA and then earn the security specialization after that? Or do you have to earn the MCSA with security specialization right from the get go? And if you can get the MCSA and then after add on the security specialization do you get it by taking exam 70-299 ???

Thanks!

Comments

• quickpotquickpot Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
    To get the MCSA.. you need to take the 3 core exams and 1 elective.. Yes you can use your A+ and Network+ as your 1 elective. If you plan to add the Security specialization, you need to take 2 more electives... One is the 70-299 and the other is the 70-227... but you can also take the Security+ exam to meet the req for the latter... And since 70-299 is a required course as well as an elective for the MCSA.. if I were to take your path, I would just study for the 70-299 and forget the Network+. But that's just my opinion since I did not take into count the amount of time you spent into studying for the Network+ as well as the level of difficulty on the 70-299. But my ultimate goal is to work in security and I would just study for the 70-299 for my MCSA elective and take Security+ last.

From what a I hear, not many employers even know about the Network+ cert anyways.

Good luck! I am planning to start on the MS track real real soon :)
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    And since 70-299 is a required course as well as an elective for the MCSA..
    True, but the Security+ exam is also a valid elective for the MCSA exam.
    Microsoft wrote:
    CompTIA Security+ certification satisfies both the MCSA elective requirement and an MCSA: Security specialization requirement.

icon_arrow.gifwww.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcsa/windows2003/
  • KatanaSamKatanaSam Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks guys. Taking the Network+ exam is a given for me simply because it won't require much of me in terms of new learning. I've borrowed a book and really only need some review of what I've already learned.

Question:

So assuming I have A+, Network+, and the 3 core MCSA exams completed, can I then get the Security+ and meet the MCSA:Security Specization requirements? Because Security+ is another one I would eventually like to do.
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    KatanaSam wrote:
    Question:

So assuming I have A+, Network+, and the 3 core MCSA exams completed, can I then get the Security+ and meet the MCSA:Security Specization requirements? Because Security+ is another one I would eventually like to do.
    You would need the 70-299 exam as well, it is required for the MCSA 2003 security specialization. In that case you wouldn't even need A+ and Net+.
  • KatanaSamKatanaSam Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Webmaster wrote:
    You would need the 70-299 exam as well, it is required for the MCSA 2003 security specialization. In that case you wouldn't even need A+ and Net+.

K, got it. Thank you! I'm going for the MCSA without the security specialization initially and won't be trying to add it for some time after I've already got the MCSA.