Options

299 & 298

Tyrant1919Tyrant1919 Member Posts: 519 ■■■□□□□□□□
got a 669 and a 730 on 299 and 298 respectively.

These are almost a complete review on everything covered before on 290, 291, and 293. Lots of IPSec, PKI, SUS, Wireless Sec, Encryption, Authentication, Smart Cards, and random other stuff.

298 was straight forward, I followed the advice on this site and read the questions first and then skim through the needed info. 5 testlets, varried from 5 questions to 9. I had two testlets with 5 and they were very easy considering I didn't have to skim through too much stuff. 9 Question sublets were harder as you had to skim through more information on the case study. My relatively low score makes me wonder if I missed some things. I felt ocnfiedent and didn't review any, got a 730.

299 didn't have any out of left field I felt. There were some questions I didn't know 100% and couldn't eleminate most of the correct ones so, I took a stab. Some questions were VERY easy. I got a 669 on this one. My score report indicated a 30% on Sec Policies, so I know what to re-cover. I felt I was reasonably strong on this test... The other three areas were 90%-100%. I didn't like that it was only 30 questions, seems like so few to base a cert test on. I could have just got the wrong combo of questions.

I studied maybe a dozen hours for both, everytime I would study I'd essentially be 'reviewing', so I'd do it real quick and call it gravy. I'll hit 299 again soon. I actually might start 294 and take 299 afterwards. Anyways.... two more tests to go. First MS Fail, 2nd fail overall (Svr+, damn those SCSI specs). Wasting $106 will motivate me to study more.

I fell I'll learn the most from 294 knowledge wise, can't wait.
A+/N+/S+/L+/Svr+
MCSA:03/08/12/16 MCSE:03s/EA08/Core Infra
CCNA

Comments

• Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Congrats on the 298 pass and I'm sure you'll get 299 next time (you were very close, spend a few days on sec policies and it'll be yours for the taking).
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    That's weird. I was quite confident with 299 and really unsure of 298. I guess didn't take too well to the design format.

That's neither here nor there though. I offer you my congratulations and sympathy ( icon_cheers.gif / icon_cry.gif ).

I'm sure you'll nail 299 next time, and 294 will probably seem like a breeze at this point. Good luck with both of those!
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    astorrs wrote:
    Congrats on the 298 pass and I'm sure you'll get 299 next time (you were very close, spend a few days on sec policies and it'll be yours for the taking).

+1
    Good luck! :)
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    Or just take 70-350 or 351 and be done with it. You don't have to take 70-299 to get MCSE 2003: Security.
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    _maurice_maurice Member Posts: 142
    HeroPsycho wrote:
    Or just take 70-350 or 351 and be done with it. You don't have to take 70-299 to get MCSE 2003: Security.

I can't agree more. I failed 70-299 twice. I passed the 70-350 this morning. It was the 7th test and finally MCSE. I plan on taking 70-351 later on for the Security specialization.

Transcender and ISA trial software got me through 70-350. Looks like not much has changed in 2006 version except for new publishing rules.
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    _maurice wrote:
    I can't agree more. I failed 70-299 twice. I passed the 70-350 this morning. It was the 7th test and finally MCSE. I plan on taking 70-351 later on for the Security specialization.
    Well congratulations are in order then! icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    Tyrant1919Tyrant1919 Member Posts: 519 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hmmm, I dunno. I could see taking 350/1, but I figured 299 would be easier as it's simply review(Yeah real simple since I didn't make 700). My only weak area was secpolicies, so I know where I have to review. I may consider 350, but I'd have to buy some material for it. I think I'll stick with 299 though. I just love/hate that it's only 30 qeustions, it's sweet.
    I'll start studying for 294, and review 299 whilst doing that. I may have a 2k3 MS Press pack available for sale soon!
    My confidence in 299 was about the same as 622, was pretty confident I didn't pass when I submitted. But passed 622 by a good margin.
    The 298 did seem easier, I felt more question were almost common knowledge. I did get a few domain trust questions, but I 'think' I got those ones right.

I do just have 294 left, so I'm going to study my but off for this one, and probably take it in a month, maybe sooner. Since this would be the last one, I already feel motivated to take it and pass, hopefully with my highest MS score, only have to get like an 820.
    A+/N+/S+/L+/Svr+
    MCSA:03/08/12/16 MCSE:03s/EA08/Core Infra
    CCNA