Options

Online Colleges that take certs and job experience

Don 79 TADon 79 TA Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey...
has anyone looked into online colleges that take certs and degree's towards their programs?
i have 20 years in the field
A.A.S in electrical technology
Business Management certificate
CWSP
CCNA
MCSE
RFID+
Linux+
and a few other certs too

i'm looking to see what is the best way to go for a BS/MS degree utilizing my exp/certs

i do plan on getting out of IT if i can't find something reasonable soon
looking towards Radiology/CatScan/X-Ray or suck it up and get back to RF engineering

downside is, i'm 40 so time isn't on my side
and i am thinking of leaving work to do school full time

thoughts?

this economy is really bad huh......
i was laid off, re-hired by 3rd party team, at 70% pay cut
talk about sucking

Comments

• Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    Don 79 TA wrote:
    downside is, i'm 40 so time isn't on my side
    and i am thinking of leaving work to do school full time
    Speaking as someone who used education to redirect his career starting at 41, I'd say that if you use community college and online classes, you won't need to choose between school and work--you can do both. Consider the possibility of only doing one or two classes per quarter and not finishing a degree for 2-3 years. You don't want to have any gaps of employment on your resume, even if it was to attend school.

For a degree, it looks like you are headed towards a BSIT with a specialization in either networking or computer security. Just make sure that the school you choose has regional accreditation, or the units you earn won't be worth anything to should you want to enroll in a proper private or state university for a Masters degree.