Options

Wish me Luck

halflife78halflife78 Member Posts: 122
Well, I have been working at my job as a network/telecom engineer for 4 years now. We recently got bought out by a very large company so they are kind of taking some of our local responsibilites away to centralize all of the work. I still get my same pay and hours but I don't have access to our Cisco equipment onsite now, I have to call an internal support desk to get an engineer to work on it remotely.

I have been going on interviews here and there but I have been picky. I had an interview Friday with a company that from a initial perspective I really liked. The company is a Japanese owned company that farms grain here and ships it overseas. I will be in charge of the corporate office (with one other person) that has 60 remote sites across the country connected to it via L2TP IPsec VPN tunneling. I will also be in charge of the Citrix server farm.

I pulled out all the tricks on the interview. I had a 32 page powerpoint presentation I gave them during the interview and they seemed pretty impressed. I was told I would hear from them either by the end of this week or the first of the month about getting the job or a second interview (they didn't mention not getting it so hopefully that's a good sign).

I hope I get a call back as this is the first job I have been excited about this year after the interview :D

Comments

• Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Sounds cool, good luck!

What did you have on the powerpoint presentation?
  • Options
    halflife78halflife78 Member Posts: 122
    I had my basic objectives and goals to start with. Then I broke my work history down into the parts below:
    1. Administration responsibilites such as inventory, ordering, meetings, etc.
    2. Wiring - How I terminated the entire building and other wiring responsibilites.
    3. Network - My network equipment I work on (Cisco 3550 VLAN'd and 2610 and various Nortel stuff) and what I do daily.
    4. Telco - My telco stuff (Avaya G3R, CMS, etc.) and what I do daily.
    I had pictures with each section of the above from my actual work since I can show our dataroom with our company, some of them below:
    http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=331&folderid=142151&groupid=194783&folderview=thumbs&ck=
    I also had a couple pages of skillsets, software, and hardware types and companies I had experience with.

From my work history I rolled into a educational background with pictures of my actual certifications on the presentation. Then I ended it with 6 references including educational references.

I like using the pictures because all of the wiring and equipment I mounted and terminated myself and kept it all in order for 3 years now. Most companies have a data room that looks terrible and I always get compliments from visitors on the organization of ours and it's hard to convey that to someone so using pictures helps a ton.

It was my first time using a presentation on an interview and I will never go into another interview without one. Using the presentation kept my train of thought and flow in order and I didn't go off on random things, forget details, and stumble around.
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Sounds you know how to sell yourself during an interview. Good job!
    I like using the pictures because all of the wiring and equipment I mounted and terminated myself and kept it all in order for 3 years now. Most companies have a data room that looks terrible and I always get compliments from visitors on the organization of ours and it's hard to convey that to someone so using pictures helps a ton.
    It was the very first thing I thought of when I looked at those pictures. Impressive, I've actually never seen something like that before, I'm used to the spaghetti :)