Options

Spam filtering

slinuxuzerslinuxuzer Member Posts: 665 ■■■■□□□□□□
exchange 2003 running on server 2003. Front-end / back end setup. I am getting a lot of spam, and am very new to administering exchange, got cbt nuggets and working on deploying a test environment, but wanted to get everyone's opionon about spam filtering, I am leaning towards Gfi mail essentials.

Thanks guys.

Comments

• Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    how many users in the environment?
  • Options
    slinuxuzerslinuxuzer Member Posts: 665 ■■■■□□□□□□
    our Ad has about five companies in it, each company has 2 exchange servers, the two exchange servers Im dealing with I would guesstimate about 300 mailboxes.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    My company has been using a frontbridge hosted filtering solution for years, we get virtually zero spam come through to the mailboxes and very few false positives. Blocked spam volume is over 1 million a month for about 500 email users. No idea on the cost.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    cablegodcablegod Member Posts: 294
    slinuxuzer wrote:
    exchange 2003 running on server 2003. Front-end / back end setup. I am getting a lot of spam, and am very new to administering exchange, got CBT Nuggets and working on deploying a test environment, but wanted to get everyone's opionon about spam filtering, I am leaning towards Gfi mail essentials.

Thanks guys.

Same situation here. Used GFI for several years, but it starts to let more and more spam through. I just dropped it and put a Barracuda appliance in place. Wow. Instant results, and very easy to use.
    “Government is a disease masquerading as its own cure.” -Robert LeFevre
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Yeah Barracuda's are great appliances. I have other clients who outsource theirs to Postini and they have been very happy (but its probably too expensive for a smaller shop like yours to be worthwhile).
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Here's another Barracuda-related thread: http://www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=33427

Sorry I have nothing else to contribute, I'm a messaging noob icon_redface.gif
  • Options
    HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    Postini isn't too bad for small shops as long as you group all your user email addresses under a small number of accounts (perhaps just one).

I've had good results with Symantec Premium Anti-Spam.

Make sure you set your SPF records up, and encourage others to do the same. The reality is spam wouldn't be the problem that it is if everyone would freaking setup SPF records. Bugs me to no end people don't do that in this day and age.
    Good luck to all!