Options

Exchange 2007 - MCTS: 70-236 Scheduled 6/29/08

jbaellojbaello Member Posts: 1,191 ■■■□□□□□□□
I'm trying to look for a pocket book, that has a complete comperehensive guides to Exchange 07 Powershell Cmdlets, I can also use a resource over the internet that has a good explanation/syntax for each commands, I can just print this.

I will try to google, but thought I might as well ask here 1st.

Comments

• Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I know there's a couple of books out there specifically for powershell with exchange. You might try searching a site like amazon or barnes and noble instead and checking out reviews of the different guides.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    What practice exam do you guys recommend? is it available on Transcenders? I've been studying for the last 3 months, I've actually configured separate servers for each recommended best practice, with Edge Server on a DMZ, as well a separate DC/AD, a 64 Bit OS where Exchange 2007 is installed and a 32 bit Win XP client running Outlook 2007.

Exchange 2007 is such a broad topic, I know that 70-236 is just a chunk of this, but I wanted to make sure that I at least get my feet wet on every topic there is in Exchange 2007, last time I pass and took an exam was on March 2, ever since I've been studying and prepping for Exchange 2007 and each video/chapters is pretty long, the lab part is such a tedious process, it requires certain configuration for each specific roles and scenario. I felt like I'm back in the days where I had to deal with 70-291 AKA "The Beast" but 236 is just harder paired with Powershell which I find very powerful, some of the advance topics in here is still a blur to me.

I pretty much enjoyed my study with Exchange 2007, I find it very powerful compared to what we currently use "Kerio" it is pretty much a robust and an enterprise email solution, I am going to schedule an exam in the next 1 to 2 weeks, I know that I am still lacking a lot of knowledge, since I just made sure I can run cmdlets script, but I am itching to obtain my MCSA status, this pretty much doesn't end here, I have scenarios on top of my head that I wanted to try on a single Exchange 2007 installation, I will also redo Trainsignal from start to finish, I find it my best arsenal in understanding concepts and actually having a hands on experience etc.

Any feedbacks...

Edited: Since I really enjoyed studying Exchange 2007 and to me that is one of the most important thing to succeed, I am thinking of accomplishing a MCITP: Enterprise Exchange Administrator (not sure of the correct title), as soon I obtain my MCSE in 2003.
  • Options
    HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    You absolutely need to know the Exchange cmdlets, and you need to have a foundational understanding of Powershell to pass this exam.

Don't just know the cmdlets; you need to know how to do basics within Powershell as well. I highly recommend completing this tutorial with its hands-on excercises!

https://blogs.technet.com/chitpro-de/archive/2007/05/10/english-version-of-windows-powershell-course-book-available-for-download.aspx

I would recommend proceeding with MCITP as well. I found 70-236 to be by far the hardest. 70-237 is ridiculously easy in comparison, but 70-238 is in the middle.

I used Transcenders for all three. I think they did a very good job for all of them except 70-238.
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    HeroPsycho wrote:
    You absolutely need to know the Exchange cmdlets, and you need to have a foundational understanding of Powershell to pass this exam.

Don't just know the cmdlets; you need to know how to do basics within Powershell as well. I highly recommend completing this tutorial with its hands-on excercises!

https://blogs.technet.com/chitpro-de/archive/2007/05/10/english-version-of-windows-powershell-course-book-available-for-download.aspx

I would recommend proceeding with MCITP as well. I found 70-236 to be by far the hardest. 70-237 is ridiculously easy in comparison, but 70-238 is in the middle.

I used Transcenders for all three. I think they did a very good job for all of them except 70-238.

This is what I've been hearing everywhere, that if I don't know powershell cmdlets I will fail, so what I basically did was practice a lot of cmdlets including piping and some advance scripting.

But thank you for posting this link I will go ahead and print it, if I run out of time I will reschedule on the 1st weekend of July.

I kinda find OWA to be somewhat sensitive, I installed GFI Mail Archiver and all of a sudden I am faced with another issue "service is unavailable", I tried to search via google, and there's a lot of people having the same issue with IIS/OWA, somehow I am starting to comtemplate that it's a buggy part of Exchange 07.

I was also looking at Transcenders they are a bit pricey for this exam icon_sad.gif, I wish I can buy this used, I will go for MCITP cause just passing this exam, is not enough knowledge, I gotta keep doing/studying the same thing so it get stucked with me, this was the same case with MCSE a lot of the topic is repetitive which gets a little boring but has a lasting affect.

Thanks!
  • Options
    HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    OWA works fine for me in E2K7. Nothing buggy about it in my experience... at least no more than E2K3.
    Good luck to all!