Options

ccna cert w/ bad degree

jellz77jellz77 Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
i have a bach. degree for comm. but have a ccna cert. i'm very tech/computer savvy, but feel not having a comp. science degree will hold me back from any desireable network admin job. do u think i need to go back to school or ccna cert will be good enough to get into an entry level job?? i also have no work experience in the field as well.

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Most CSci degrees are heavily into programming, so they wouldn't help you with networking anyway. Just having a degree looks good, and you can also focus more on a masters. I'm wrapping up a Psych degree myself ;)
  • Options
    HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    No work experience is gonna hurt you far more than not having that degree.

Take it from me. I had a Master's in Secondary Social Studies Education, and MCSE 2000 when I got my first full time IT gig as a Senior Support Engineer @ $72K/yr. I also had years of experience doing PC repair, light networking, then did side job AD/Exchange implementations and internships while I taught middle school history. It's the work experience and certs to validate my skills that did it for me.
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    jryantechjryantech Member Posts: 623
    I agree with Dynamik and the fact I'm enroll in a Computer Science degree right now, it touches base on Programming a lot more then Networking.
    "It's Microsoft versus mankind with Microsoft having only a slight lead."
    -Larry Ellison, CEO, Oracle

Studying: SCJA
  • Options
    jellz77jellz77 Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    what a breath of fresh air....searching the job sites i felt i was s.o.l w/ a ccna cert. everything is asking for it degrees, etc. i'm thinking of going to local offices and searching for jobs there.
  • Options
    scheistermeisterscheistermeister Member Posts: 748 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I would think Telecommunications would help you a lot more than CS since Cisco stuff is a ton closer to that then programming, especially with how much they are pushing converged networks.
    Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
  • Options
    AldurAldur Member Posts: 1,460
    I'm about to finish my CS bach degree and I can tell you that the rest of the forum is correct, lots of programming stuff in here, not as much networking stuff. The sad part is, I've really learned to hate programming :D
    "Bribe is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. The X makes it sound cool."

-Bender
  • Options
    oo_snoopyoo_snoopy Member Posts: 124
    There is nothing bad about having a degree. That degree still gives you a leg up on everyone else who doesn't have one.
    I used to run the internet.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,028 Admin
    You are definitely better off having a non-technical degree than no degree at all. My undergrad degree is in Anthropology. I'm sure there have been a few prospective employers that have passed on my resume because I didn't have a CS or EE degree, but it sure got me the consideration of many more employers that only require having any college degree. Once you have realized your tech area of specialization, you can get a graduate degree in that, and your undergrad major won't matter very much anymore.
  • Options
    brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    Aldur wrote:
    I'm about to finish my CS bach degree and I can tell you that the rest of the forum is correct, lots of programming stuff in here, not as much networking stuff. The sad part is, I've really learned to hate programming :D
    +1