Taking the A+ Tomorrow... Help!!!

mrgetdown88mrgetdown88 Member Posts: 43 ■■■□□□□□□□
Ok so I am taking the 601 and 602 tomorrow but not sure if I am ready. Firstly, is it wise to take them both in one sitting? How many of you have taken them both the same day? Secondly, I've been strictly studying out of the Mike Myers A+ Certification Passport book (the small one that is green), and I want to know if the info covered in there is enough to get a passing grade. Thirdly, I will be cramming all night long, so what are some key objectives that I should touch up on?
XBox Live: xGetDownNoobx
Working towards 70-291 and CCNA
Future Goals (In this order):CCNA, MCSA, CCNP, MCITP:EA, CEH

"Consider yourselves lucky I'm not after your gully holes..."

Comments

• cacharocacharo Member Posts: 361
    Have you found This or This yet?
    Treat people as if they were what they ought to be, and you help them become what they are capable of being.
  • mrgetdown88mrgetdown88 Member Posts: 43 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The technotes? Yes, very helpful... The practice exams seem a little outdated, can I still expect DMA and IRQ questions on the essentials and 602?

• nicklauscombsnicklauscombs Member Posts: 885
    If you fail the 601 are you allowed to take the 602? I would assume this wouldn't be a problem but you should check on that. Hate to see you fail the first then lose the money for the second because you aren't eligible to take it.

If you're feeling shaky on the material and are able to reschedule I would push it back a week or so to make sure you really hit the topics hard. If you haven't yet, go to CompTIA's website and print out the current objectives for the exams to make sure you know exactly what could be asked on there.

For your review the Technotes on here are a fantastic resource and would encourage you to use them as well as skim over your book. Also for future tests I would also highly encourage you to use as many resources (books, technotes, practice exams, etc.. as you possibly can) so you get as many different angles on the topics as possible. Not sure what the passport book covers exactly but those smaller books are usually used as review before the test not necessarily your primary source but that doesn't mean you will fail either.

Good luck on the exams and let us know how you do!
    WIP: IPS exam
    The technotes? Yes, very helpful... The practice exams seem a little outdated, can I still expect DMA and IRQ questions on the essentials and 602?

To my knowledge the tests are up to date, my A+ is 7 years old so I have not actually looked at the current objectives. Keep in mind that any A+ resource will hold obsolete material before it even hits the shelves. Even the book you are reading is over a year old.
    If you fail the 601 are you allowed to take the 602?

I could not find any information saying that the 601 was a prerequisite for the 602. I could take the hardware and software in any order back when I took mine.
    Treat people as if they were what they ought to be, and you help them become what they are capable of being.
  • jscimeca715jscimeca715 Member Posts: 280
    I took the A+ about two months ago and the practice tests are a little out of date. I wouldn't worry about DMA or IRQ for the new test objectives. You can take 601 and 602 seperate of each other. Pay attention to the questions and you'll do fine.
  • mike3mike3 Member Posts: 136
    Yah I took my A+ a few years back myself. My exam covered questions regarding IRQ's...
  • mrgetdown88mrgetdown88 Member Posts: 43 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Ok so I am taking the 601 and 602 tomorrow but not sure if I am ready. Firstly, is it wise to take them both in one sitting? How many of you have taken them both the same day? Secondly, I've been strictly studying out of the Mike Myers A+ Certification Passport book (the small one that is green), and I want to know if the info covered in there is enough to get a passing grade. Thirdly, I will be cramming all night long, so what are some key objectives that I should touch up on?

Just a little update for everyone, I passed both exams with a 750. There were a whole lot of networking questions, especially on the 602..

• jryantechjryantech Member Posts: 623
    Grats :D
    "It's Microsoft versus mankind with Microsoft having only a slight lead."
    -Larry Ellison, CEO, Oracle

Studying: SCJA
    Well done!