eBooks or normal books?

TalicTalic Member Posts: 423
Which one do you guys prefer to study from? I'm thinking about starting some MS stuff when my unix class is done, just to mix it up a little.

I'm asking this because I noticed it seems annoying to keep a open book next to you while trying to input commands. Sure it sounds funny but I think having a eBook seems a bit more convent when running commands in a text based environment.

Comments

• astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I personally hate eBooks for reading. I love them for quick lookups though (and grumble bitterly when they aren't included on a CD with the printed copy of tech books). I like the convenience of flipping through a book in bed, or at lunch, where I don't really want to cart my laptop along with me.
  • TechStrikerTechStriker Member Posts: 131
    Prefer hard copy for convenience so that I do not need to worry about flat battery for my laptop when going to the park for example.
    Passed SNIA - SCSP
    Working on VCP4
  • royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I usually get a hard copy, read that, and then copy the ebook to my laptop if I need to reference something and remember it being in the book.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • gojericho0gojericho0 Member Posts: 1,059 ■■■□□□□□□□
    i prefer hard copies as well. It becomes cumbersome to scroll through material on a PC, plus a book is a little easier on the eyes
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    royal wrote:
    I usually get a hard copy, read that, and then copy the ebook to my laptop if I need to reference something and remember it being in the book.
    Same here. Its easy to read from a book in bed than a laptop :)
  • jryantechjryantech Member Posts: 623
    eBooks have the internet, my desktop and to many distractions to deal with.

Get the actual book and go to your local coffee shop and read. Just make sure your away from things like your T.V., your Computer and hobbies! Distractions are the worst enemy when it comes to reading.
    "It's Microsoft versus mankind with Microsoft having only a slight lead."
    -Larry Ellison, CEO, Oracle

Studying: SCJA
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    from a book anyday!

I just find it easier to read than looking at the computer screen
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I did nearly all of my MCSE reading from Safari. I have a nice LCD, so reading off the screen doesn't bother me, but I've found that it's nice to get away from the computer and go outside or to a comfy chair. I think I'm going to be buying actual books from here on out.
    dynamik wrote:
    I did nearly all of my MCSE reading from Safari. I have a nice LCD, so reading off the screen doesn't bother me, but I've found that it's nice to get away from the computer and go outside or to a comfy chair. I think I'm going to be buying actual books from here on out.

Come on tell us how many times you searched these forums in the middle of reading :):D

• PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Prefer a hardbook, though it may just be because I'm that old.

I don't mind electronically searching for things, but if I want to read a text for 'study' then I prefer to sit back and read.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • AldurAldur Member Posts: 1,460
    I can understand the pain of having a hard book in front of you while your attempting to reach over it to type commands. For that reason I'll take the ebook over the hardbook while I am typing commands, such as doing the labs for the JNCIP, but I also will have the hard book so I can highlight, sit on the couch and read, and take it anywhere with me.

I suppose it all boils down to which is more convenient for the setting, plus having multiple lcds is helpfull with the ebooks as well.
    "Bribe is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. The X makes it sound cool."

-Bender
    Aldur wrote:
    I can understand the pain of having a hard book in front of you while your attempting to reach over it to type commands. For that reason I'll take the ebook over the hardbook while I am typing commands, such as doing the labs for the JNCIP, but I also will have the hard book so I can highlight, sit on the couch and read, and take it anywhere with me.

I suppose it all boils down to which is more convenient for the setting, plus having multiple lcds is helpfull with the ebooks as well.

This.

Having two screens is the way to do labs and anything you need to read while working on something.

But other then that I still stick with a hard book.

• ladiesman217ladiesman217 Member Posts: 416
    Ebooks are good if you can tolerate the Eyestrain. I still prefer the old fashion way of reading a real book.
    No Sacrifice, No Victory.
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Non-preference here, I would generally take whichever is cheaper. I like the alt-tabability of ebooks and the copy-and-pastability of them as well. Searching is great as well. I like the chance to get away from the distractions of the keyboard with the physical book. Physical books go better with a cup of tea.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    If I'm going to chill out and read for a while then a hard copy is the way to go. If I'm doing a lab or just referencing a book then an ebook is the way to go.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    I will switch to eBooks when a good, portable eBook reader is available that allows me to hi-lite and annotate text and illustrations, and also interfaces with an inexpensive, duplex color laser printer. At that point eBooks will be on par with hard books.
  • pwjohnstonpwjohnston Member Posts: 441
    For quick reference ebooks and safari are the best. But log reading sessions on a monitor give me a headache. So I prefer hard copy.
  • BeaverC32BeaverC32 Member Posts: 670 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Anyone use Amazon's Kindle? A bit pricey, but looks like something I would enjoy using.
    MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003, LPIC-1, MCP, MCTS: Vista Config, MCTS: SQL Server 2005, CCNA, A+, Network+, Server+, Security+, Linux+, BSCS (Information Systems)
    I'd like to try one out some time, but that probably won't be happening for a while. More necessary things to buy.
    BeaverC32 wrote:
    Anyone use Amazon's Kindle? A bit pricey, but looks like something I would enjoy using.

The background is a light gray, not white. I would have liked better contrast. There's an annoying flicker each time you change pages (could be overlooked). Some kid in one of my classes had one. It seemed pretty neat, but it's not there yet for me, especially at that price.
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    dynamik wrote:
    The background is a light gray, not white. I would have liked better contrast. There's an annoying flicker each time you change pages (could be overlooked).
    Limitations of the ePaper technology at the moment. Apparently you get pixels not switching properly if you don't do the blanking thing.

The contrast should be better than a screen though.
  • vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    undomiel wrote:
    I'd like to try one out some time, but that probably won't be happening for a while. More necessary things to buy.

Like beer! drunken_smilie.gif

I prefer hard copy. icon_cool.gif
    tiersten wrote:
    Limitations of the ePaper technology at the moment. Apparently you get pixels not switching properly if you don't do the blanking thing.

There's no back buffer for offscreen drawing available? Or is the processor just not fast enough to match the vblank? That would be my guess if they're blaming it on pixels not switching properly.
    undomiel wrote:

Like beer! drunken_smilie.gif

I prefer hard copy. icon_cool.gif

You picked the guy here who doesn't drink. :)

dynamik's the drunkard here! drunken_smilie.gif
  • astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I'll buy one in a second as soon as they allow you to download from Books24x7 into it (say maybe 3 at a time). Now that would rock.

In the mean time... icon_study.gif

I'm with undomiel - dynamik's a total lush
    undomiel wrote:
    There's no back buffer for offscreen drawing available? Or is the processor just not fast enough to match the vblank? That would be my guess if they're blaming it on pixels not switching properly.

It's not like an LCD screen. It pretty much flips the "pixels" from black to (off) white. It only uses power when you change pages. There's a little flicker when it refreshes. It's not a big deal, but it's slightly annoying.

Check this out: http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/amazon-kindle-answers/amazon-kindle-hands+on-and-questions-answered-gallery-324375.php
    You picked the guy here who doesn't drink. :)

dynamik's the drunkard here! drunken_smilie.gif

Yea, which is why I have to make up for him. He doesn't eat meat either. Adam and I don't think it's possible for him to derive any joy from life. He leads a sad, pathetic existence.
  • shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    Normal book for reading...
    eBook for when I'm on my pc labbing up something...
  • IncInc Member Posts: 184
    Harcdopy when studying at home and e-books while on the road.

I have no problem reading from screen since I'm a tree hugger ;)

And CCNP Cert Library weights more than my laptop, so laptop ftw while commuting.
  • vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    dynamik wrote:

Yea, which is why I have to make up for him. He doesn't eat meat either. Adam and I don't think it's possible for him to derive any joy from life. He leads a sad, pathetic existence.

I don't eat meat either. icon_redface.gif
    dynamik wrote:

I don't eat meat either. icon_redface.gif

You're out numbered dynamik. Surrender!!!
    No way. Adam just got back from vacation. Reinforcements have arrived!

She does drink though, so she's not nearly as bad as you. I was going to make a comment about how I could probably get her to eat meat after a few drinks, but I couldn't figure out a way to not make it sound incredibly dirty icon_redface.gif

Wait.. what was this thread about again?