Options

Scripting (perhaps) question about Outlook Public Folders

Kevin J WilliamsKevin J Williams Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
I have a folder on a business network, that is frequently updated by a non-it department. I am trying to give access to this folder to users who access the network via VPN. The problem is that the total size of the folder is too large to merely map a share to the folder, so the thought was to copy the data to a public folder and then allow the users access through their outlook, once they are in the VPN.
What i would like to do is have some sort of automated function that will send an email to the public folder, which has been set up as an email recipient.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!!
Remember...pay attention to your attention, be aware of your awareness, be conscious of your consciousness because what you think, what you say, what you do is always based upon what you know...and what you know might be wrong.

Comments

• Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    The problem is that the total size of the folder is too large to merely map a share to the folder

I don't understand this... I don't remember the size of the folder being a constraint for being able to map a drive to it...
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    Hi Blargoe,
    No, you're right, there arent size constraints, i just wasnt very clear with the explanation. What i am trying to get at, is that the users (working on laptops) trying to access the folders are at a remote site, with a VPN over a wireless connection, and the connection is not always fast enough to be able to open the folder. Thus the public folder idea.

I just re-read my original post and saw that i wasnt clear with another point.

The email that i want to generate is to sync data in the original folder with data in the public folder. Basically the "non-it" department that i mentioned in my original post, will make changes or additions to files in the original folder, then there is a scheduled task and script that runs at night that will update files in a folder to 50+ pc's, at locations connected by ADSL (therefore these copy over fine). I need the laptop users to be able to see the same data, updated at the same time, so i setup the public folder as a mail recipient and .am hoping there is a way to have an email generated automatically whenever there are changes made to the original folder.

I am obviously having a hard time putting into words, exactly what my question is but, Thanks for thinking about it!!
    Remember...pay attention to your attention, be aware of your awareness, be conscious of your consciousness because what you think, what you say, what you do is always based upon what you know...and what you know might be wrong.
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    What about using SharePoint instead of a folder?
  • Options
    Sharepoint would work, and we are working towards a sharepoint server which will solve a lot of problems, but right now i am just trying to get 4 users connected