Post worthless jobs here

pwjohnstonpwjohnston Member Posts: 441
Broadband Technician " Support Desk" (Burlington NJ)
Reply to: tazelby@bwsdsl.com
Date: 2008-06-25, 5:06PM EDT

Help Desk Technician

Nationwide Provider of Broadband and Hosting Services. Roles include: (1) Technical Support Technician on a HelpDesk that supports business broadband clients, (2) Experience with IP Networking, signaling Systems. (3) Must have experience with Windows Application and LAN peripherals and configurations (4) Applicants should have 2-3 years experience working with DSL/T1/ MPLS internet technologies, VPN/Security services and Routing Protocols. Windows and Unix Server experience is a plus. CCNA/CCNP/MSCE certifications are not a requirement but are a strong asset. Telecommunications Background a plus. Must have leadership and excellent communication skills! Please send resume to tazelby@bwsdsl.com for interview consideration.

* Compensation: $12-$14 start Full Health & 401K

You mean I could be doing all that for 12-14 bucks an hour!!!!! Sign me up!

Comments

• AmpdChaosAmpdChaos Member Posts: 130
    wow.. those people should hire themselves..
  • pwjohnstonpwjohnston Member Posts: 441
    AmpdChaos wrote:
    wow.. those people should hire themselves..

Ya, I just need someplace to vent. I know the economy is bad, but 2-3 years experience with CCNA/MCSE preferred for less than 30k a year. whatev icon_sad.gif
  • bighuskerbighusker Member Posts: 147
    I had a company in Omaha, Nebraska that wanted to hire me as a PHP/mySQL/Flash developer for $25,000/year with no 401K, no dental insurance and only 1 week of paid vacation. They also wanted me to fill in at the reception desk and work the phones.
  • AmpdChaosAmpdChaos Member Posts: 130
    lol... did they throw in a house and a car?? lol.. thats worst ive heard..
  • jbaellojbaello Member Posts: 1,191 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I can't believe what I am seeing...
  • jryantechjryantech Member Posts: 623
    Haha! My best friend makes more money and he is a Game Master for the online MMO World of Warcraft. He just sits there and takes questions from gamers all day :D
    "It's Microsoft versus mankind with Microsoft having only a slight lead."
    -Larry Ellison, CEO, Oracle

Studying: SCJA
  • bighuskerbighusker Member Posts: 147
    AmpdChaos wrote:
    lol... did they throw in a house and a car?? lol.. thats worst ive heard..

I wish I still had the written job offer they gave me, because it was such a ridiculous offer that I won't blame anyone if they think I'm making it up. To this day, I don't know how I stopped from laughing in their faces...I think I was in shock over such an insulting offer. It did all work out in the end for me, as I found other companies that knew what good IT staff is worth.
    I searched my local craigslist and found this:
    Network Engineer

AdepTech, Inc. is seeking to fill two positions, 1 part time, and 1 full time for an experienced network engineer and system administrator. Mininum requirements: AA degree or greater or MCSA or greater and Comptia A+, mininum 2 years hands on experience with domain contollers, active dirctory, hardware, troubleshooting, network configuration and implementation. Must also be a team player capable of working diligently on their own. Must have relationship skills and be personable and well groomed. AdepTech, Inc. is an established 11 year IT company that is continuing to grow and looking for a dedicated loyal team player to grow with us. Please note, this position also requires hands on pc repair and managing clients remotely as well as on site. AdepTech is an equal opportunity employer and hires based on qualifications, skills, and experience. All applicants will be required to take a 1-2 hour test and agree to be background screened.

* Compensation: $11 per hour to start DOE plus driving allowance & paid time off, education, & LA Fitness Membership.

Well at least you get an LA Fitness Membership LOL icon_lol.gif

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    That's actually not a bad entry-level gig. Pay's a bit low, but it'd be a good way to get your foot in the door. I bet they'd pay you double that if you had an MCSE and a six-pack.
    dynamik wrote:
    That's actually not a bad entry-level gig. Pay's a bit low, but it'd be a good way to get your foot in the door. I bet they'd pay you double that if you had an MCSE and a six-pack.

Which job are you talking about? Most of these the employer is requiring 2+ years of experiance... so they can't be entry level icon_lol.gif

Unless you were kidding then my bad icon_cool.gif

• eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I get random nonsense all the time.

One of my favorites....A recruiter called me out of the blue one day. He acted like we were old friends and told me that he had reviewed my resume and that he had the perfect job for me. I told him to send it to me.

The "perfect job" was a junior-level position doing some database work and writing Perl code for a large retail chain with "Wal" in the name.

I played along, and asked him how much they were paying. He said, based on experience, up to $18 per hour!

Me: "Wow", I said. "Where do you see the words 'Perl' or 'database' in my resume?"

Him: <silence>

Me: "Did you read my resume?"

Him: "Are you saying that you don't know how to do these things?"

Me: "Are you saying that you don't know how to read?"

Him: Stammering..."I just thought that since you were in IT that these would be things you could do."

Me: "And I thought that since you identified yourself as a 'recruiter' you'd be able to figure out what people are right for what jobs."

Him: <silence>

Me: "Ok, here's the deal. We've been talking for a little less than 5 minutes. I don't normally bill in 5 minute increments, but for you I'll make an exception. Based on what I normally earn, you owe me $18 for wasting the last 5 minutes of my life. How do you want to pay?"

Him: <silence><click>

I never sent an actual bill, but looking back that would have been funny.

MS
    Nope. I'm dead serious. Flashing your six-pack at a job interview is a great way to increase your salary.

Seriously though, those places will take what they can get once no one with those qualifications steps forward. Don't hesitate to apply when you see some place post ridiculous requirements like that. There's no way they're going to have someone meet them for what they're offering.
    dynamik wrote:
    Nope. I'm dead serious. Flashing your six-pack at a job interview is a great way to increase your salary.

Seriously though, those places will take what they can get once no one with those qualifications steps forward. Don't hesitate to apply when you see some place post ridiculous requirements like that. There's no way they're going to have someone meet them for what they're offering.

Argh... And I just got done doing 500 sit-ups icon_mad.gif

Darn...

• sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    jryantech wrote:
    dynamik wrote:

Which job are you talking about? Most of these the employer is requiring 2+ years of experiance... so they can't be entry level icon_lol.gif

Unless you were kidding then my bad icon_cool.gif

This is nothing new, when I first broke into IT over 5 years ago it was the same. Companies in the area I live in would ask for someone with 2-3 years experience for what seemed to be an entry level job with pay between 20-30k per year. Asking for Linux, Cisco, and Windows Server experience to boot. I just applied for those jobs anyway even though at the time I only had a few months experience volunteering to gain IT experience and doing computer repair on the side. I had little problems finding fulltime IT work even though the area I live in is especially bad employment wise. I did have to settle for a lower salary but it was all good. Like others have said on this forum companies post a "wish list" in on job descriptions but will have to settle for the best applicant which if the salary is low like that will be someone with little IT experience usually.
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
  • whistlerwhistler Member Posts: 108
    dynamik wrote:

Why when I see six-pack I automatically think of beer gut.
  • astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    whistler wrote:
    dynamik wrote:

Why when I see six-pack I automatically think of beer gut.
    Yeah I was thinking six-pack as in bribe. icon_lol.gif
  • scheistermeisterscheistermeister Member Posts: 748 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Sadly that is what all the IT jobs around me are like right now. That is why I don't have a job. I don't have my certs and 3 degrees for $10\hr. Not ganna happen.
    Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
  • pwjohnstonpwjohnston Member Posts: 441
    eMeS wrote:

eMeS YOU ARE MY NEW PERSONAL HERO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That was hilarious!
  • eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    pwjohnston wrote:
    eMeS wrote:

eMeS YOU ARE MY NEW PERSONAL HERO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That was hilarious!

At what number would you like to me conference you in at when I get today's random call?
  • cbigbrickcbigbrick Member Posts: 284
    Being offered my pervious job though Monster email for application packaging with WISE STUDIO, at a lower salary!!!!! icon_eek.gif I laughed and laughed. I had to email all my former coworkers so they could get a good laugh too............. icon_lol.gif

eMeS.....your story was priceless!!!
    And in conclusion your point was.....???

Don't get so upset...it's just ones and zeros.
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    cbigbrick wrote:
    Being offered my pervious job though Monster email for application packaging with WISE STUDIO, at a lower salary!!!!! icon_eek.gif I laughed and laughed. I had to email all my former coworkers so they could get a good laugh too............. icon_lol.gif

eMeS.....your story was priceless!!!

Yep, I've had that one happen to me as well. It's quite hilarious.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • jbayne3jbayne3 Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Sadly that is what all the IT jobs around me are like right now. That is why I don't have a job. I don't have my certs and 3 degrees for $10\hr. Not ganna happen.

...I second that...if I was worth $10 an hour, I would still be working for my family's moving company icon_wink.gif

IT is skilled labor....even entry level IT positions should be compensated well enough for someone to make a living. If the pay isn't all that well, I would at least expect a solid benefits package.

Oh, and what if you already had a 6 pack? icon_wink.gif
    Work on an 8-pack. Go for 10 or 12 after that. That'd show you're really unique icon_eek.gif

Unfortunately, most people are going to have to start with lower pay. Sure, you're worth more, but unless you have experience to back it up, you're probably not going to get more. You could either take a $10/hr job for a year or two, or you could spend that time spinning your wheels complaining about how bad the job market is.

I'd encourage anyone who is looking for entry-level work to focus on experience and not pay, as long as it isn't detrimental to your well-being (i.e. starving, being homeless, etc.).
  • dubbs112dubbs112 Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Here is an example of one that I see daily. Is a 4 year degree really only worth 30-35k?!?

Company name: PGK ENGINEERING
    Product line/service: Design And Engineering Service
    Web site: Click here to go to site
    Job title: Help Desk Support - Level 1
    Job type: Full Time
    Hours per week: 40
    Job(s) available: 1
    Job location: Auburn Hills
    Salary: From $ 30000.00 To $ 35000.00 per year.
    Benefits: dental insurance, life insurance, medical insurance, optical insurance, paid vacation, 401(k)
    Job description: Tier 1 Automotive Supplier currently has an opening for an IT Support Analyst in our Auburn Hills facility. Qualifying candidates must have: 2-3 years experience in a helpdesk support role performing remote and hands on trouble shooting. 3- years experience Configuring and deploying new computers. 3+ years experience in MS Office, including Outlook. 3+ years experience in the maintenance and troubleshooting of Compaq PCs, Dell PCs, IBM notebooks, and printers in a large network environment. 3+ years experience supporting Windows 2000 and Windows XP. Windows networking, including TCPIP Protocol and mapping network devices experience also required. Familiar with creating and using Symantec Ghost images, basic management Active Directory user accounts, building/network wiring, video conferencing systems, Cisco IP phone systems, MS Exchange Servers and Blackberry devices. Able to work after business hours. Knowledge of SMS and MS-Sharepoint a definite plus.

Job requirements: This job requires a bachelor's degree and 2 years of experience.

Specific requirements: This job has some special requirements. You must possess a private drivers license and undergo drug screening.
  • shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    eMeS wrote:

Me: "Ok, here's the deal. We've been talking for a little less than 5 minutes. I don't normally bill in 5 minute increments, but for you I'll make an exception. Based on what I normally earn, you owe me $18 for wasting the last 5 minutes of my life. How do you want to pay?"

Him: <silence><click>

I never sent an actual bill, but looking back that would have been funny.

MS

That was too funny MS!!
    I don't know.. I think his "people wanting something for nothing" section in this post beats that: http://www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=229203#229203
  • AldurAldur Member Posts: 1,460
    dynamik wrote:
    I bet they'd pay you double that if you had an MCSE and a six-pack.

HAHAHAHAHA, oh hell, that gave me a real good laugh! Ya know, physical appearance is sometimes very important in an IT position. :D
    "Bribe is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. The X makes it sound cool."

-Bender
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I hate the daily calls I get from the recruiters in India who speak with a thick accent and say their name is John Smith.....
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • GT-RobGT-Rob Member Posts: 1,090
    I have actually been approached TWICE in the last couple of months for a job by recruiters off workopolis.

The only problem, I ALREADY WORK THERE.

How hard is it to read a resume? Why would you offer me a job I already have? I sometimes want to go through with it and see if I can get an interview set up lol
  • SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    I hate the daily calls I get from the recruiters in India who speak with a thick accent and say their name is John Smith.....

I know some support staff at a company not too far away that do that.......
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools