I flunked the CCNA 640-802

mike3mike3 Member Posts: 136
Yep so I flunked the test today. It's a result of time and the person next to me getting on my nerves because he had problems with his test. So about 30 minutes of it was the employees helping the other test taker fix his problem.

Also, I skipped 3-4 simulation questions due to time.

All and all I'm very upset and do not feel I had any concentration due to the other guy's problems.

Well here are my results.

Describe how a network works 85%
Configure, verify and troubleshoot a switch with VLANs and interswitch communications 66%
Implement an IP addressing scheme and IP Services to meet network requirements in a 62%
Configure, verify, and troubleshoot basic router operation and routing on Cisco devices 36%
Explain and select the appropriate administrative tasks required for a WLAN 33%
Identify security threats to a network and describe general methos to mitigate those 100%
Implment, verify, and troubleshoot NAT and ACLs in a medium-size Enterprise branch office 28%
Implement and verify WAN links 0%

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Sorry to hear that you failed. Stick with it and you will get it.

If I were you I would call Vue and try to get a free retake due to the interruption.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • mike3mike3 Member Posts: 136
    How long do I need to wait to rebook. I just rebooked today for 2 weeks down the road. I will reschedule if needed.
  • laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991
    niter3 wrote:
    How long do I need to wait to rebook. I just rebooked today for 2 weeks down the road. I will reschedule if needed.

sorry to hear u missed it....

you need to wait a min of 7 days between tests......
    based on your comments and scores it dont sounds like you too far off passing....

time management is a key part of it and the sims id say 2 weeks is good time frame...

did you say anything at the time in test centre about being disturbed ??
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
  • Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I've had some situations like that and you just have to fight through it.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
    Honestly, I"m not sure what to touch up on. I don't even know where to address the few sections I did horrible in.

Can somebody be of some guide possible? The only question related to NAT was one question. The same thing as ACL. There was only one question.
    What are your study materials? If you're using Cisco press stuff they usually print what objectives are included in each chapter. Whenever I miss a few questions on an exam I go back and re-read the chapters that include the objectives I did less than perfect on. That may help you.
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    yeah i think id look at some alternative study sources, i found the cbt stuff was good to help focus on the key areas.....

and hit the labs hard..... are using hands on or simulators ??
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
    I've called the test center and have complained. I forgot to add in that the guy next to me was drinking coffee during his test which is bull. That alone was completely distracting. I'm seeing if the test center will allow me to write the test for free instead of using the SECONDCHANCE promotion code.

Things I have done.

1.) Read Sybex 6 Edtion
    2.) Watched all the CBT Nuggets
    3.) Used the CCNA Visuailizor simulation application.

I have put in A LOT of time into studying and feel I should have been able to pass. I am going to do all the labs in the Sybex book from front to back to ensure that I know all the material.
  • suffahsuffah Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The results are probably not 100% accurate, but it looks like you need more practice in routing, wan and nat/acl's? All 3 of these can be tackled via a home lab or even dynamips since they don't involve switches.

I would sit and force myself to be super comfortable with EIGRP/OSPF, NAT/ACL, and Frame-Relay/PPP. Just focus on getting these up and running with the CLI. I've been trying to spend lab time on these topics every day as I'm reviewing for the exam this weekend. Two weeks should be plenty if you spend the time everyday in the lab on these topics.

To help with your time management, how did you feel on the subnetting questions? If those are eating up too much time then hit up subnettingquestions.com everyday for a good practice session.
    I was not asked one subnet question. Just to allocate IP addresses to an existing network.

The funny thing is, I have setup all the things you mentioned below more than once.

suffah wrote:
    The results are probably not 100% accurate, but it looks like you need more practice in routing, wan and nat/acl's? All 3 of these can be tackled via a home lab or even dynamips since they don't involve switches.

I would sit and force myself to be super comfortable with EIGRP/OSPF, NAT/ACL, and Frame-Relay/PPP. Just focus on getting these up and running with the CLI. I've been trying to spend lab time on these topics every day as I'm reviewing for the exam this weekend. Two weeks should be plenty if you spend the time everyday in the lab on these topics.

To help with your time management, how did you feel on the subnetting questions? If those are eating up too much time then hit up subnettingquestions.com everyday for a good practice session.
  • suffahsuffah Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I think you'll be OK for the re-take. Hopefully the testing center will be understanding and not charge you for the re-take.

I think skipping those sims really hurt your score. They are weighted a lot more I believe?
    Yah I'm pretty upset with it all. All I can do now is bug them tomorrow and just do a ton of labs until the next test.
    suffah wrote:
    I think you'll be OK for the re-take. Hopefully the testing center will be understanding and not charge you for the re-take.

I think skipping those sims really hurt your score. They are weighted a lot more I believe?
  • Ye Gum NokiYe Gum Noki Member Posts: 115
    You can't skip questions and expect to pass... especially sims. But at least you know what to expect now. Work on those weak areas and get some hands on practice.

Good luck
    "What we think, or what we know, or what we believe is, in the end, of little consequence. The only consequence is what we do." John Ruskin.
    I am thinking, maybe it would be best to go for the CCNET for now. However, I'm wondering can I use the SECONDCHANCE promotion for that test?
    im fairly sure the comeback offer has to be for the same exam number as previously taken...
    Pfft, don't give up just because you failed it. The CCNA is traditionally a hard cert for people to get because it encompasses so many new and unusual technologies. Stick it out and get your cert man.
    pbosworth@gmail.com
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Paul Boz wrote:
    I've had some situations like that and you just have to fight through it.

I Agree with paul, you've gotta fight through it! im currently going through the icnd2 for the first time and i can tell straight away that im goiing to need a hell of a lot hands on.

I have to admit i have been in MS exams where there have been distractions and its hard but you've gotta do it. Next time try putting the ear plugs in to block out anyone else in the room. Also the guy at the test centre should only have water in there and nothing else.

You have to be honest with yourself As you've said you've skipped alot of sims you should of at least had a go. Either way, regardless of distractions, you should of known it well enough to attempt them. i actually find the hands on part the strongest part of my game! i think its down to the fact thats what i enjoy most. Remember practice, practice, practice...and more practice!
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
    Keep in mind also that the more you know the material the less distractions will well, distract you. If someone drinking coffee throws you off it's probably a good clue that you're under-prepared to sit the exam.

When I sat the CCNP ISCW exam the guy next to me was so flustered from his exam that he literally took out a pair of nail clippers and started going to town. It was mildly distracting when he started clipping his nails but after a few seconds I realized he was just nervous and under-prepared and let it go. I wound up getting a perfect score on the exam because I went in to it ready to take it. When you're in college and you're in a class of 300+ students there's no way to tune out the sound of hundreds of bluebooks being filled in, pages turning, people showing up late, etc. No testing environment is ever perfect.
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    You got a good point. I had no problem back in school. Well all I can really do is focus on labs for the next week and quickly review my notes the day before the exam.

I seem to do well out the Theory portion of the test....

Hopefully the next go and I will pass. I've booked it a Monday from this Monday. I'm on vacation all this week so I'm bring my laptop so that each morning I can go over all the labs in the Sybex book and the labs that come with the simulator.

Any other suggestions?
    Paul Boz wrote:
    Keep in mind also that the more you know the material the less distractions will well, distract you. If someone drinking coffee throws you off it's probably a good clue that you're under-prepared to sit the exam.

When I sat the CCNP ISCW exam the guy next to me was so flustered from his exam that he literally took out a pair of nail clippers and started going to town. It was mildly distracting when he started clipping his nails but after a few seconds I realized he was just nervous and under-prepared and let it go. I wound up getting a perfect score on the exam because I went in to it ready to take it. When you're in college and you're in a class of 300+ students there's no way to tune out the sound of hundreds of bluebooks being filled in, pages turning, people showing up late, etc. No testing environment is ever perfect.
  • bone_matalebone_matale Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    sorry bout the fail!!!

brush off the problems wit you had and focus on the next exam!!!!!!
    you came this far, jst finish wat you started!!!!! and do yoself proud!!!

anythin you worked hard for is worth it!!! and enjoy it!
    Anything is possible wit a lil Hard work
  • netwaynenetwayne Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hey, lots of people fail this test the first time. I just passed last week on my THIRD attempt. Keep at it. The one benefit you have now is that you have seen the test once before. If you haven't already, try to recall the questions you struggled with (sounds like the sims) and see if you can get them down on paper and try to figure them out now while you are not in the pressure situation of the test. I think the test recap is fairly accurate so spend your time now on the areas you scored low on. Sounds like though you weren't in an ideal test environment with the other test taker there needing all the assistance (so your scores are probably skewed and not totally indicative of your preparation). It wouldn't hurt to ask VUE for a free retake. All they can say is no. On that sheet with the breakdown on it will list the first available date you can retake. I believe it is 5 days not including Sundays.

Try to enjoy your vacation....
    Yes I rebooked..
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    You can't give out the information about your exam. You should read the NDA. I suggest you edit your post.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    I'd recommend editing your post you are definitely violating the NDA your signed, you can't give details of your exam just talk about you're weaker areas.
    Sorry about that guys. It's removed.
    Where can I find some good simulation practice questions at? I'm good when it comes to theory I just need practice questions related to hands on.
    My best advise would be to go through your practice material (your books, practice labs, etc) and get the commands into your fingers. What I did when I didn't have access to the internet (and my lab by proxy) was to just do configs via notepad.

I also made plenty of flashcards.

for example, one side may say "What is the command to establish an ospf processs?" with "router ospf [process ID] on the other side

Usually the hardest part of the CCNA isn't the knowledge, but getting used to the commands.
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    Yah.. The commands aren't really slowing me down.. I don't know.. I guess all and all I'm just going to do a crap load of labs and designing my own networks in the simulation program. Other than that, I'll rewrite in 9 days or so and see how I do.
  • TryPingingTheServerTryPingingTheServer Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    niter3 wrote:
    Things I have done.

1.) Read Sybex 6 Edtion
    2.) Watched all the CBT Nuggets
    3.) Used the CCNA Visuailizor simulation application.

I find that the CBT nuggets videos are best used as a secondary or tertiary sources. Odom's book should be at the top of your list.
    "His GPA is a solid 2.0. Right in that meaty part of the curve - not showing off, not falling behind."