Getting a Tech Job with this kinda Background

AndreLAndreL Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
I'm a 30 yr old with high school diploma that did not attend college, but had a few classes I also have 3 certifications very little experience. About to attend New Horizions for A+, N+, MCSE 2003, Secruity+ and CCNA. They also will help me persue employement. But with all this what are my chances of landing a sweet Lan/Wan Admin job.
Oh yea I live in NC RTP (Research Triangle Park) - Raleigh/Durham

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    How hard you willing to work?

Are you going to volunteer or take a low-paying job to gain experience?

More than likely, you're going to have to start at the bottom and work your way up.

It's absolutely possible. There are people here who started their IT careers in the 40s and beyond. Just don't expect to be handed a sweet gig solely because you've got a few certifications.

There's been a couple of negative posts about New Horizons, so you may want to look into them a bit more:
    http://techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=76047
    http://techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=41950
  • draineydrainey Member Posts: 261
    Don't know anything about New Horizons but I basically went the same route as you. Although I had about 2 years of college before I dropped out to work (not the best decision).

Went back to school for a semester, switched to a 6 month MCSE certification program at the local college and got my MCP. Then got a 3rd shift gig on the help desk and have just kept working and learning from there. I'm currently a Network Tech with a Managed Service Provider and doing fairly well in the salary dept. So go for it and keep chuggin' on.
    The irony truly is strange that you're the only one you can change. -- Anthony Gomes
  • Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    That is a crazy amount of certifications to set your sites on. Might take you years. Either way, no gathering those certs without experience isn't going to help much. Experience is going to remain #1.

Good luck!
    -Daniel
  • oo_snoopyoo_snoopy Member Posts: 124
    Are you willing to go back to school and get the required degree?

If so yeah, age doesn't matter

Degree does.
    I used to run the internet.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    AndreL wrote:

Oh, since you're there, why don't you just go for a CCIE? icon_lol.gif
  • AndreLAndreL Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I plan on going to College but I'll keep my certification current and up to date
    I Plan on getting a CCIE but thats after the NH stuff and the CCNP then the CCIE ...
    Question ... is RTP a center point of CCIE members.
    What about ITT tech or Devry what if I go that way
  • jryantechjryantech Member Posts: 623
    AndreL wrote:
    What about ITT tech or Devry what if I go that way

icon_sad.gif

This is a split issue, some say go for it some say do not.

Do your research before you invest your money into a for-profit school.
    "It's Microsoft versus mankind with Microsoft having only a slight lead."
    -Larry Ellison, CEO, Oracle

Studying: SCJA
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    RTP is very competitive. There are lots of opportunities here but all those certs with no experience isn't going to land you an admin/engineer gig around here.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • ironlungironlung Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
    oo_snoopy wrote:
    Are you willing to go back to school and get the required degree?

If so yeah, age doesn't matter

Degree does.

You dont need a degree to land a lan/admin position.Sure it helps but not required.
    Sometimes you just gotta bite the bullet.
  • sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    AndreL wrote:
    About to attend New Horizions for A+, N+, MCSE 2003, Secruity+ and CCNA. They also will help me persue employement.

How much are you going to pay to take the New Horizon's classess? I assume it won't be cheap. If you are paying several thousand dollars out of your own pocket I would recommend self study instead. You can get all of those certifications you mention above (along with most other certs really) by self study. I also would not recommend getting your MCSE until start to gain some experience in IT. That does not mean you should not start studying for it though. I would go for A+/Net+ and then start on MCSA or maybe CCNA though I am not sure how much the CCNA will help someone with no IT experience. The main thing to do is to get experience and work your way up. Most people have to start out at the bottom and work their way up. Usually be doing Helpdesk, or perhaps Desktop support. It is possible to get a Jr. Network/Systems admin job also but with only certs and no experience it will be difficult. Good luck!
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
  • hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    Apparently if you go to ITT Tech you will get a degree in no time, and you'll get a high-paying job at some awesome company, and still have time to snowboard and mountain bike with some extreme guys.

Check the job postings for RTP companies, if that's your target, and find something you would LOVE to do. Find out what these type experience/education/certification these jobs require.

Network with some people who work at RTP and find out what they do/what they've done/how they did it.
  • jryantechjryantech Member Posts: 623
    nl wrote:
    Apparently if you go to ITT Tech you will get a degree in no time, and you'll get a high-paying job at some awesome company, and still have time to snowboard and mountain bike with some extreme guys.

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
    "It's Microsoft versus mankind with Microsoft having only a slight lead."
    -Larry Ellison, CEO, Oracle

Studying: SCJA
  • TryPingingTheServerTryPingingTheServer Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    dynamik wrote:
    AndreL wrote:

Oh, since you're there, why don't you just go for a CCIE? icon_lol.gif

:) I'll do whatever it takes to get work inside that campus. I'll start with janitorial services if I have to...
    "His GPA is a solid 2.0. Right in that meaty part of the curve - not showing off, not falling behind."