NetAdmin2436 VS 'The Beast'

NetAdmin2436NetAdmin2436 Member Posts: 1,076
Well gang, this was a classic heavy weight battle that went went the full 12 rounds and had to go to the scorecards. And The Winner By Split Decision Is......NETADMIN2436! I got a 700 icon_eek.gif I almost wet myself when I seen my score considering I went back and changed about 4 answers.

I absolutely positively BOMBED the RRAS section with a big fat 0. Pathetic icon_cry.gif. I was strong in the IP addressing section and average at the Name resolution, network Security and Network Infrastructure sections. All in all barely enough to squeak by, a pass is a pass I guess. I did give myself 5 weeks to study for this exam....well, 4 if you don't consider the PC game Star Wars II: Battlefront studying. So, I thought I prepared pretty adequately. I used PrepLogic, MS Press Book, my experience....oh and of course this site. I'll admit I only went through 1/2 of the MS Press Book (can you figure what section in the book I skipped?) lol

This was my lowest score of any CompTIA/Microsoft exam. But at least I passed and kept my 'not ever failing a test' streak alive. Needless to say, I won't be skipping any more chapters in the future.

Well, it actually only took me about 4 months....But I can finally say it. I'm a MCSA!

Next I'm thinking is the 70-293. How is it compared to this one in terms of toughness? I hear it has a lot of DNS like the 70-291 does and is very similar.
WIP: CCENT/CCNA (.....probably)

Comments

• AmpdChaosAmpdChaos Member Posts: 130
    congrats.. you did it!! it doesnt matter what happened during the fight, its whose left standing its all that matters!!
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You had a completely empty bar on your printout? I'm sorry, but that's hilarious.

I've never heard of that happening before, especially with a pass. You're a pioneer in my book icon_cheers.gif

Seriously though, congratulations. That's a big one to get out of the way.

I'd encourage you to go back and brush up on 291 before you move on to 293. You're going to make things harder on yourself if you don't have a solid foundation for the material. 293 does have a lot of overlap though, not just DNS. It's the planning side of 291 with a few new things like certificates and NLB/clustering thrown in as well.
  • astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Congrats!

P.S. The empty bar is hilarious, I'm kinda surprised they allow you to pass when that happens. :)
  • NetAdmin2436NetAdmin2436 Member Posts: 1,076
    dynamik wrote:
    You had a completely empty bar on your printout? I'm sorry, but that's hilarious.

I've never heard of that happening before, especially with a pass. You're a pioneer in my book icon_cheers.gif
    Seriously though, congratulations. That's a big one to get out of the way.

I'd encourage you to go back and brush up on 291 before you move on to 293. You're going to make things harder on yourself if you don't have a solid foundation for the material. 293 does have a lot of overlap though, not just DNS. It's the planning side of 291 with a few new things like certificates and NLB/clustering thrown in as well.

So what do you think I need to brush up on? icon_lol.gif Hehe
    http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee183/NetAdmin2436/NetAdmin24362.jpg
    It seems like you know icon_lol.gif

Thanks for the image, that's great.
  • AmpdChaosAmpdChaos Member Posts: 130
    i didnt wanna be the first to admit that i laughed.. lol good job tho
  • SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    Congratulations!!

Did make me smile too, I would get some reading in before setting up and RRAS servers icon_lol.gif
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools
  • rjbarlowrjbarlow Member Posts: 411
    I can't believe it, that's amazing icon_lol.gif .

After all a pass is a pass and You have to be glad anyway, even whereas You studied for a very little time (4 weeks) I'm thinking to take this one at the first days of September.

Are You MCSA? I remember You were at same point as me 70-270 and 70-290. When You found the time to take one other?
    Pork 3
    Maindrian's music

WIP: 70-236, 70-293 and MCSE.
  • MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    What sucks is that you skipped on the 291 RRAS section and now have to do the 293. With the RRAS overlap you are FORCED to study it!

Prepare to turn your home router into a RRAS server!

Good job on the pass.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • NetAdmin2436NetAdmin2436 Member Posts: 1,076
    rjbarlow wrote:
    I can't believe it, that's amazing icon_lol.gif .

After all a pass is a pass and You have to be glad anyway, even whereas You studied for a very little time (4 weeks) I'm thinking to take this one at the first days of September.

Are You MCSA? I remember You were at same point as me 70-270 and 70-290. When You found the time to take one other?

Rjbarlow,
    Yes i'm an MCSA. I actually had my Security+ before I started taking my Microsoft stuff....so I Microsoft will accept Security+ as en elective. icon_wink.gif I had a headstart

What's funny is I have had RRAS running on my home server for the past few years for VPN. I VPN home to my home network all the time. Routing? I call that a Cisco device. Today I have to setup a branch office for my work. Luckily I have two watchguard firewall's and not two 2003 servers. icon_lol.gif

Well, back to the RRAS studying for now....
  • natestreetnatestreet Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    That is absolutely hilarious!

I wish I had passed the first time...or the second time...or the third time...but by the fourth I finally defeated the beast. What is funny is that each time I took the test, I scored really high in one area, than the next time, my score dropped in half in the area I did well on previously, and instead I did well on another area...

I actually enjoy RRAS for some strange reason. Scored a 100% on it the last time around. But the Maintaining a Network Infrastructure section was my Achilles Heel for most of the test. I just could not figure out where the problems were coming from.

It's on to 293 for me too! I wish I could have become an MCSA in four months but I had to learn the hard way.
  • Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    Wow! Congrats!

Hey, maybe you didn't get 0% on RRAS! Maybe you scored so well that it was off the charts! icon_lol.gif
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Wow, that's amazing! I'll confess I laughed. Congratulations on the MCSA!
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congrats! Same thing happened to me on the 350 witht the empty bar, but I scored 911. I suspect there was only one question in that area and I missed it.
  • rjbarlowrjbarlow Member Posts: 411
    Rjbarlow,
    Yes i'm an MCSA. I actually had my Security+ before I started taking my Microsoft stuff....so I Microsoft will accept Security+ as en elective. icon_wink.gif I had a headstart.
    And then congratz! icon_wink.gif
    Pork 3
    Maindrian's music

WIP: 70-236, 70-293 and MCSE.
  • vsmith3rdvsmith3rd Member Posts: 142 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Wow. You're quite fortunate. I thought it was nearly impossible to get a zero in an area, and still pass an adaptive exam. The whole point of being adaptive is to prevent that. Its cool that you made it, my fellow MCSA.
    Certified Lunatic.
    I don't think these exams have been adaptive for quite a while
    Microsoft wrote:
    Computer adaptive testing
    A computer adaptive test (CAT) is customized to the individual exam taker. Examinees all start with an easy-to-moderate question; those answering the question correctly get a more difficult follow-up question. If that question is answered correctly, the difficulty of subsequent questions similarly increases. Conversely, if the second question is answered incorrectly, the following questions will be easier. This process continues only until the CAT determines the candidate's ability.

The key difference examinees notice between adaptive exams and conventional exams is that they cannot skip or go back and review previously answered items on adaptive exams. A screen at the start of the exam informs exam takers that reviewing previous items will not be allowed. (The downloadable demo that follows is intended only to help candidates become familiar with the testing technology. The content may not be technically accurate and should not be used as a practice test.)

That doesn't sound like these exams.

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcpexams/faq/procedures.mspx
  • cnfuzzdcnfuzzd Member Posts: 208
    congrats!

Work In Progress: BSCI, Sharepoint
  • DragonNOA1DragonNOA1 Member Posts: 149 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Looks like you might "need development" in the RRAS area icon_cool.gif Congrat's on the pass!
    The command line, an elegant weapon for a more civilized age
  • tonydotigrtonydotigr Member Posts: 129
    As they say "a pass is a pass" ... congrats!

M$FT thinks your good enough! :D