IE Audio bootcamp - opinions?

GT-RobGT-Rob Member Posts: 1,090
I am thinking of buying these, just thought I would get a review from someone here who may have them.

Are they a good review? Easy to listen to? Accurate?

15hrs for $100 seems like a decent deal.

Comments

• GT-RobGT-Rob Member Posts: 1,090
    Well I went ahead and bought them anyway.

Overall, I would say its a pretty good deal. For the cost of about 2 books, it looks to cover a lot of topics and fairly decent depth.

Obviously its not a main learning point, but its not supposed to be. Its a nice way to study while on the drive to work, or at the gym, or while sitting at work but tired of reading :D

They also threw in some tokens for rack time which was pretty sweet.

So far, I would give it my recommendation to anyone doing CCNP or CCIE R/S.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    If they are still $99 (or less :D) -- definitely lots of bang for the buck! I've considered suggesting them for the CCNP people because of the value.

I initially found some of the pauses by Brian annoying... but I eventually got used to it. But I still get annoyed by the "will be covered in the advanced audio series" statements. When is coming out!!! WHEN!!! When is the Advanced Audio Series coming out!! WHEN!! ARGH!!!!

Scott's audios from IPExpert have lots more content and are my favorite -- but also has a bigger price tag.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
    Ya I looked at those, but like you said, the bigger price tag drove me towards IE.

I would for sure recommend them to the CCNP track for people who have the budget for it.

Hmmm I wonder if Scott will be doing any work on the audio classes for IE now..... ;)
  • nicklauscombsnicklauscombs Member Posts: 885
    link please :D:D
    WIP: IPS exam
    I really liked how the Brians have the QOS split up with Legacy and MQC audios -- so I'd also recommend them for people doing the QoS exam for the CCIP or CCVP -- the QoS audios alone make it worth the price. Listen to an mp3 for a few minutes, hit the routers, listen again, back on the router, check the Odom book, back on the router, have an AH!!! moment, repeat with next audio.

I guess the IE Audios are the better ones to start with -- they are in nice bite (or study) sized chunks. Then use Scott's audios (or DVD COD) later.

Plus you can listen to them online in a java audio player or download zips of mp3s and put them on your MP# player, phone, ipod, etc., or burn them onto your own CDs.

I finally figured out I could speed up the playback on my PC a little to reduce the length of the pauses (without making Brian sound like a chipmunk) -- but then I also realized that at normal speed the pauses would give me a chance to pause the audio and jump on a router to check something out immediately. Plus after listening to them for a while, I found myself doing a "mental review" during the pauses. So while the I was annoyed by the pauses initially -- I consider them a "feature" now. :D
  • Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The Morris audio lectures are by far the most palletable to me. His voice is reassuring and firm, like a good professor's.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I likes Brian McGhan's audio presentations better than the ones that Brian Dennis did. It just seems Brian McGhan put more time into preparing for the presentation and it had a better flow and consistency. Brian Dennis often went on tangents and seemed to rely on his 4 CCIE's to get him through it and maintain his creditability. All in all the ones I listened to were pretty good.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
    just ordered these for my CCNP studies, I have some new audio for the gym and when I travel for work
  • ITdudeITdude Member Posts: 1,181 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I guess that you will have another way to sweat in the gym! icon_lol.gificon_wink.gif
    I usually hang out on 224.0.0.10 (FF02::A) and 224.0.0.5 (FF02::5) when I'm in a non-proprietary mood.

just ordered these for my CCNP studies, I have some new audio for the gym and when I travel for work

Let me know how they work out for the NP studies for you once I get around to starting mine I may pick these up from all the recommendations.
    I went through most of the OSPF audio at the gym tonight and I can already see its bang for the buck especially since i'm at the gym for around an hour everyday and I drive four hours round trip once a week for work
  • nullrouternullrouter Member Posts: 52 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have the IPExpert Audio, Scott is great with the delivery. I've just recently ordered the IE Audio in a bundle with the Advanced Class on Demand from IE (basically everyone's ranting on the DVD product, has influenced me to get it to fill any gaps in my knowledge in addition to the IPExpert material, also to check them out for any future potential material if I decide to start SP, after R&S) - So hoping for some good quality stuff here too.
    CCIE R&S All Done :D

Web Blog of sorts:
    http://blog.nullrouter.com
    overdub a smooth bass line and you could even put on the audio lecture while you're having a romantic dinner with your significant other, think of the learning possibilities...
  • ITdudeITdude Member Posts: 1,181 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yea right........ :P
    I usually hang out on 224.0.0.10 (FF02::A) and 224.0.0.5 (FF02::5) when I'm in a non-proprietary mood.

guys - i can't find the ccnp audio tracks. are you using the R&S CCIE audios to learn for CCNP or are there actually separate CCNP audio materials?

thx
    guys - i can't find the ccnp audio tracks. are you using the R&S CCIE audios to learn for CCNP or are there actually separate CCNP audio materials?

thx
    using the CCIE audio tracks
  • JohnDouglasJohnDouglas Member Posts: 186
    thanks. do the audios go much deeper than's needed for CCNP?

i guess i'll get them anyway as i aspire to at least the written exam after NP and IP.
  • nullrouternullrouter Member Posts: 52 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yes they do
    CCIE R&S All Done :D

Web Blog of sorts:
    http://blog.nullrouter.com
    I wouldn't say they are completely out of the league of CCNP. Other than a couple of topics (frame relay, system management) it pretty much all applies.
    I don't think the IE Audios went much deeper than the CCNP Level -- they're just more condensed than the books. You probably wouldn't use them as your first method of study -- but once youve read the book chapters for the topic and maybe checked out the CBT Nugget or Trainsignal Videos, then they should be easy to follow.
  • JohnDouglasJohnDouglas Member Posts: 186
    thanks guys. i've downloaded them. will be able to follow up my overt study at work in the mornings with covert mp3 study now.