Options

Interview question - And some ranting.

/usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
I've been at my job for about a year now. I love certain aspects of it, but have a large problem with the management structure, the lack of acknowledgment of good employees and the persistent rewarding and support of employees who make mistakes.

I have an interview Tuesday for what they're calling a "Network Engineer". It is a 5 minute drive, in the city I live in. I have a 30 minute drive each way right now. I emailed once with preliminary pay requirements, then sent in my resume and they are apparently still interested in an interview.

I'm not worried about it all that much since I already have a full time job which I could stay happy in for a bit longer. However, I feel undervalued, underpaid and underutilized. It's jot an environment that I will be able to flourish in, I've reached that conclusion.

I am the type of person who doesn't suffer people or jobs very well which directly or indirectly hinder my personal and professional growth. Life is too short and I want to live it to the fullest. I want whatever company I work for to take advantage of this attitude.

With that said, I'll get to my question. What materials are acceptable to take into an interview for reference? I have no idea what they expect to pay the person who does get this position, but I will be asking for a significant raise from my current salary (Around $10,000 per year more) and they may see that as...a bit too drastic. However, I feel absolutely, 100% justified in what I am requesting.

Not sure how much salary.com is worth when it comes to finding "average salaries", but according to that site I am justified in my increase, as my job functions vary so widely that I could easily shift job titles, all of which correspond (on the very low end) to the salary I'll be asking for.

I know what I can accomplish. I am very confident in my abilities, my skill level and my ability to communicate very well with everyone.

I am in the process of compiling a list. For myself to go over before I go to the interview, but also for me to take for reference when I need to make my points. Should I go over this before I go and leave it at home, or will the fact that I took so much time to prepare impress them?

After all, I am putting a lot of effort into this, even if I don't necessarily mind if it doesn't turn out as I hope.

Thoughts, ideas, comments?

Thanks!

And how is everyone? icon_wink.gif

Comments

• Options
    oo_snoopyoo_snoopy Member Posts: 124
    It sounds like you've got the right idea.

If possible I believe it's best to start the salary negotiation after the job has been offered to you. Although you can't always do this, it gives you the upper hand in requesting your fair worth. However it's important to make your desired salary range known beforehand.
    I used to run the internet.
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Whenever possible hold off salary negotiations until they know they want you and they offer you the job. Hold the salary cards very close to your chest. They don't need to know your current salary so they don't need to know that you're getting a $10k+ raise. It shouldn't even matter to them. They will be paying you what they value your skills at. Don't tell them your current salary and get them to be the first to name a number. If push comes to shove then give them a range that you are looking for but make it a broad range.

Put "salary negotiation" into Google. Lots of great advice and articles out there. Don't forget that salary isn't the only thing to look at.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
    Eh, got a rejection letter yesterday.

Guess I'll be trying again!