Okay, my turn: Passed!

astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
Passed 294 and 297 today so I am now an MCSE.

70-294 was straight forward (96icon_cool.gif, but those design exams like 70-297 (836) what a god awful format... yuck.

Next up, EMC certs (with a beta Symantec one I stumbled across in the middle). I'm running out of things I know and am debating what to do after the summer is over. Trying to decide between going all out on the RHCT/RHCE path for the next 9 months (which would be about 85% new material - kinda exciting) or wrapping up the CCENT/CCNA before the end of the year... Thoughts?

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Yea, if it takes you over a month for the MCSE, nine does sound right for the RHCE ;)

Congrats buddy!
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats! :)
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • ladiesman217ladiesman217 Member Posts: 416
    congrats :)
    No Sacrifice, No Victory.
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    dynamik wrote:
    Yea, if it takes you over a month for the MCSE, nine does sound right for the RHCE ;)

Congrats buddy!

Good job, astorrs!

Dynamik's quote just makes me want to point out what can be done when you know the subject matter and set some goals. People get all up in arms when I suggest no more than 6 months for MCSE, but astorrs knocked it out in not much over a month!

knowledge + plan + commitment = results!

Way to go astorss! You are an inspiration to us all icon_wink.gif
  • NetAdmin2436NetAdmin2436 Member Posts: 1,076
    Congrats!

I find it simply amazing that you can do all that in a short time period. Although your really making the rest of us look bad. icon_lol.gif Whatever path you do choose we all know you will succeed. Keep up the good work.
    WIP: CCENT/CCNA (.....probably)
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    He's got something like nine years of serious experience. He's basically just making it official.
  • NetAdmin2436NetAdmin2436 Member Posts: 1,076
    dynamik wrote:
    He's got something like nine years of serious experience. He's basically just making it official.

Yeah, I figured that. But still that's quite remarkable in my book, because I know how tricky these tests can be and you do really have to study the objectives.
    WIP: CCENT/CCNA (.....probably)
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Congratulations! Wish I could pass as swiftly as you. :) Good job on that!
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    Congrats icon_thumright.gificon_thumright.gif I say go for both it's too tough of a decision to me between linux and cisco :D
  • astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    dynamik wrote:

Yeah, I figured that. But still that's quite remarkable in my book, because I know how tricky these tests can be and you do really have to study the objectives.
    Thanks everyone. As dynamik says I've been an IC for 9 years (in IT for a few years before that too). I see now that I could have passed these tests years ago but I was terrified of them. :)

I finally pushed past it after doing the VCP and thought, hey that was kinda fun. So everything I'm doing now is just validating existing knowledge. My method thus far has been to do a Self Test Software/Transcender practice exam (all questions) and figure out the areas I don't know perfectly, then going back and reading my old books (I've been sitting on Sybex's MCSE 2003 cert library for 5+ years now) until I understand the areas, then writing the test and moving on. I've doubled up for nearly every test (2 a day) which makes it much easier for me to book the time away from clients.

I have a few more to do (EMC, JNCIA-SSL, ISA and SQL) before I move onto things I've been removed from for a while but still want to prove at least basic knowledge in (Cisco, SharePoint, Exchange) to satisfy what's on my resume.

Next year I'm really excited about, it will all be new. Going to conquer RHCT/RHCE followed by the SCSA/SCNA certs. I haven't worked with either since RHEL2 and Solaris 2.6 (I even threw out my UltraSPARC 2 a little over two years ago). There has been so much change in those products in that almost decade that it will be like starting a new.

The other thing that helps that some of you may not realize is, being a consultant I can take a day off here and there without much notice and really dive into things. I'm thinking about moving to a 4 day work week for next year to allow me a little more time on my new adventures. I think I'll need it. :)
  • TechJunkyTechJunky Member Posts: 881
    Congrats! MCSE 2003 is a huge accomplishment.

4 core, 1 client, and 1 design, and 1 elective... 7 tests total... Talk about a lot of studying!

I am going to get back into the grind and pass my MCSA 2003 finally. I moved from a management position to an IT position and I need to validate my skills.

Congrats. I wish I could obtain an MCSE someday. I just hate sitting any type of test.
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Congrats, both on the respective passing scores and your new designation as MCSE. Sounds like you're in for a challenge with the RHCE, treading new territory. Good luck!

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    Congrats!

Glad to see you did it, very impressive, time to pull my socks up!! :D
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools