Hi everyone

Priyanka KadiyalaPriyanka Kadiyala Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello everyone!!

I am a Master student from Texas. My undergrad has been about Telecommunications, and Masters about Networking, with my thesis on Wireless sensor networks. I am planning to take the CCNA by september '08. What would you think as to the chances of me getting a job with the certification, my background and interest in networking? Any help is really appreciated!! Thank you very very much!!

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    That's actually pretty interesting: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_Sensor_Networks :D

How much networking is involved with that? Is that what you're trying to pursue?

Cisco also recently announced a wireless specialization for the CCNA: http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/le3/le2/le0/le2/learning_certification_type_home.html

Be sure to check out the CWNA and/or Wireless# as well: http://www.cwnp.com
  • Priyanka KadiyalaPriyanka Kadiyala Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi,

Yes, WSNs are pretty interesting. I am not sure of sticking with it, I just want to work with networks, and learn about networking for as long as possible. My thesis is titled "Non-uniform grid-based coordinated routing in wireless sensor networks". It involves in general about the various routing protocols and is more particular in terms of sensor networks. I am very comfortable with LANs, VLANs, routing and switching, Videophones( I have written a paper on videophones), and in general am keen about networking. I am hoping 2 months will suffice for my CCNA prep. Yes I have seen the CCNA concentration certs, but I was assuming CCNA 640-802 was a pre-requisite for them. So, do you think I should land into a job with the help of a CCNA on my resume? I hope to pursue other certs once I can afford them..am still stcuk with student loans for now.. :)
  • GlynixxGlynixx Member Posts: 138
    Hi,

Yes, WSNs are pretty interesting. I am not sure of sticking with it, I just want to work with networks, and learn about networking for as long as possible. My thesis is titled "Non-uniform grid-based coordinated routing in wireless sensor networks". It involves in general about the various routing protocols and is more particular in terms of sensor networks. I am very comfortable with LANs, VLANs, routing and switching, Videophones( I have written a paper on videophones), and in general am keen about networking. I am hoping 2 months will suffice for my CCNA prep. Yes I have seen the CCNA concentration certs, but I was assuming CCNA 640-802 was a pre-requisite for them. So, do you think I should land into a job with the help of a CCNA on my resume? I hope to pursue other certs once I can afford them..am still stcuk with student loans for now.. :)

I would say yes and that you should start looking now. VoIP is becoming so popular that the regular phone & maintenance guys who used to run those systems will have to give them over to the networking folks more sooner than later. That, coupled with your LAN and telco experience should certainly help. CCNA will help but you can always get an admin (as opposed to a net engineer) job, sit on that for a bit, get the experience and then make a move upward.

Good luck!
    G.
    Check out www.manager-tools.com for some great management training for free!
  • Priyanka KadiyalaPriyanka Kadiyala Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the reply Glynixx...I am planning to start looking for network engineer jobs once I am certified, hopefully, I would put that at September.