leaving stable job for internship

jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
I found this job while I was at school for a part time internship for the 08-09 school year. I'm trying to figure out if I should go for this because I'm already at a place that wants to keep me but I'm doing warehouse work. The only thing I'm concerned about is getting done on schedule for school and what if the place lets me go. I know I'll get experience in the right direction. The internship wants 15 hours a week (flexible for school) and I have that open right now for the fall schedule along with 15 credits for fall semester. I'm trying to look at the pro's and con's and I'm planning on putting in an application. Does anyone have advice on this major move? I won't be able to work at the warehouse job at all because the hours for that job will be moved to the internship.
Booya!!
WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
*****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****

Comments

• nicklauscombsnicklauscombs Member Posts: 885
    Really it only comes down to one thing. If you are financially stable enough to give up your job for the internship then by all means go get experience in the field you are interested in as opposed to a job that does not relate to your future goals, otherwise concentrate on school and keep working the job that pays the bills.
    WIP: IPS exam
  • AldurAldur Member Posts: 1,460
    I agree with nicklaus, if you can do it and survive then you can't pass it up, if you can't because of bills well then your choice is made for you.
    "Bribe is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. The X makes it sound cool."

-Bender
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Make the internship work, period.

Maybe you can continue working P/T at the warehouse or another P/T job if you need some more money. But you gotta jump on the IT experience when you have the opportunity.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • jryantechjryantech Member Posts: 623
    blargoe wrote:

Maybe you can continue working P/T at the warehouse or another P/T job if you need some more money. But you gotta jump on the IT experience when you have the opportunity.

This.
    "It's Microsoft versus mankind with Microsoft having only a slight lead."
    -Larry Ellison, CEO, Oracle

Studying: SCJA
  • vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    blargoe wrote:

+17 for this.
  • shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    i'd have to agree with blargoe it may make things a little tough on ya for awhile but in the end it will be worth it.
  • jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I never did think about the bills part. I'm one of those people that try not to get in debt and I've been doing a good job at it so far. I will be working more hours at the internship then the warehouse job during the school year. I don't mind toughing it out for a little while but if I can't work at the internship then I should be able to get something through work study at school.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****