New House

MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
So I have paused the certification track because I bought a house. Not only did the entire process of buying the house take a lot of time, research, and thought but afterwards it took a lot of physical effort to start getting it back into shape to be lived in.

I am completely wore out and just want to fall asleep at my desk right now. I have all the main furniture moved over to the house. Everyday I worked on the home after work so it's been 24/7 non-stop. I finished that yesterday. I have spent more money than I would have imagined buying crap for the home and on moving. Everytime I tell people I spent all this money they say "welcome to home ownership". lol

I had the carpets cleaned and now all my stuff is sitting in the garage... So more physical labor to actually put it in the house and for some things, assemble it.

Here are before pictures

200707177_01.jpg
200707177_05.jpg
200707177_06.jpg
200707177_09.jpg
200707177_13.jpg
200707177_15.jpg
My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!

Comments

• blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    That's really cool Mishra. Looks like a great home, congratulations and "welcome to home ownership".
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Congratulations :)

One thing tho, if you're intending to run any wiring then do it now when you've not got much stuff in there. If you do run any wiring then run way more than you currently need.
  • MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    tiersten wrote:
    Congratulations :)

One thing tho, if you're intending to run any wiring then do it now when you've not got much stuff in there. If you do run any wiring then run way more than you currently need.

There is some aluminum wiring in the home that I will be buying connectors for the outlets and junction boxes. http://www.alcopstore.com/

Then I need to at least run Cat5 and coax in the living room... But I can't quite get to it before I put the furniture in the home sadly. I had to worry about cleaning and painting while the furniture was out of the home.

You may learn something!
  • royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Just moved into my new house yesterday as well! I'm still unpacking but I'll take some pictures and start a new thread in a couple weeks after I get some new furniture and hook up my stuff.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats to both of you. What a great time to be a buyer in the housing market!

MS
  • shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    Very nice house there Mishra, I'll be looking forward to seeing some pics of yours as well royal.
  • jryantechjryantech Member Posts: 623
    eMeS wrote:

MS

Instantly what I thought.
    "It's Microsoft versus mankind with Microsoft having only a slight lead."
    -Larry Ellison, CEO, Oracle

Studying: SCJA
  • BeaverC32BeaverC32 Member Posts: 670 ■■■□□□□□□□
    jryantech wrote:
    eMeS wrote:

MS

Instantly what I thought.

+1

I bought a house a few months ago and the interest rate was 5.375%.
    MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003, LPIC-1, MCP, MCTS: Vista Config, MCTS: SQL Server 2005, CCNA, A+, Network+, Server+, Security+, Linux+, BSCS (Information Systems)
  • gojericho0gojericho0 Member Posts: 1,059 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Awesome house and congratulations!

It might even be more work if you are married or having a girl friend living with you. My wifes project list grows much faster than the completion list! We repainted one room so many times I can quantify it as Class R insulation!
    gojericho0 wrote:

It might even be more work if you are married or having a girl friend living with you. My wifes project list grows much faster than the completion list! We repainted one room so many times I can quantify it as Class R insulation!

Girlfriend of 2.5 years living with me. She SAYS she wants to work on projects but I just dunno how much that will last. Honestly I still don't even know if my motivation will be strong in the home.

LoL paint insulation. Funny. You could also say that it turned from drywall into lamentant flooring. ;)

I really don't think she will be one to want to paint 500 times but who knows!

You may learn something!
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats! Now you can get back to studying, right? ;)
  • hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    Congrats -- looks good. I don't see any fiber in the pictures though.
    dynamik wrote:
    Congrats! Now you can get back to studying, right? ;)

Not quite yet. :-\ Other projects have to get done to make sure my house doesn't catch on fire icon_eek.gif

But I might be able to ease slowly into it and get my 293 over with.
    I've been wondering if snadam put down the controller yet.

You may learn something!
    nl wrote:
    Congrats -- looks good. I don't see any fiber in the pictures though.

There should be a box of Wheaties in the kitchen somewhere. Does that count? ^_^

You may learn something!
  • coffeekingcoffeeking Member Posts: 305 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats to you Mishra, and to Royal as well. Must feel good to be a home owner. Its a lot of work and a big step, but its one of the best investments regardless of how things are right now.
    Forgot to even thank Mishra in my original reply. How selfish of me! Huge congrats to you Mishra.
    royal wrote:
    Forgot to even thank Mishra in my original reply. How selfish of me! Huge congrats to you Mishra.

And congrats to you! This is my first house and it feels so nice just to stand out in the driveway and not have to worry about apartment idiots.

You may learn something!
    This is my first as well, but it's a townhome. Can't afford a good single family home out here in Chicago.
    And congrats to you! This is my first house and it feels so nice just to stand out in the driveway and not have to worry about apartment idiots.

Just wait until you have to shovel the snow :)
  • eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Mishra wrote:
    gojericho0 wrote:

Girlfriend of 2.5 years living with me. She SAYS she wants to work on projects but I just dunno how much that will last. Honestly I still don't even know if my motivation will be strong in the home.

LoL paint insulation. Funny. You could also say that it turned from drywall into lamentant flooring. ;)

Whatever happens, when she discovers "faux finishes", hire a professional. I have decided that there is some kind of magic involved in this work.

MS
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    nl wrote:

I'm not sure how much snow he gets in Kentucky icon_lol.gif
    dynamik wrote:
    nl wrote:

I'm not sure how much snow he gets in Kentucky icon_lol.gif

I would say I get snow but if you are trying to compare Minnesota and Louisville then go ahead and say I don't get any. :)

You may learn something!
    Oh sorry I thought it was Chicago.
  • gojericho0gojericho0 Member Posts: 1,059 ■■■□□□□□□□
    eMeS wrote:
    Mishra wrote:
    gojericho0 wrote:

Whatever happens, when she discovers "faux finishes", hire a professional. I have decided that there is some kind of magic involved in this work.

MS
    icon_shaking.gif
  • jbaellojbaello Member Posts: 1,191 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats Mishra, I wonder if I'll ever afford even a condo in LA...
  • Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
    House warming party i feel, invite everyone from Techexams

Now wouldnt that be funny

icon_lol.gif
    Lee H wrote:
    House warming party i feel, invite everyone from Techexams

Now wouldnt that be funny

icon_lol.gif

The creepy part would be if you showed up! lol

You may learn something!