Purchased a Bike

KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
I got a new job role at work, and it requires that I come in before 5AM and work until 2PM. :)

icon_sad.gif

The buses don't run at that time, and I'm too lazy to pay for taxi...so I went and purchased a bicycle. It looks cool, it rides fast, but...I can't reach the ground when I'm sitting on it. icon_rolleyes.gif
It was the only one that would suit me, and I have trouble climbing onto the stupid thing. I'm a bit too lazy to return it.

While riding back through Santa monica beach, this lady was in my way(in the bike lane) and I tried to go around her but ended up flying off the road and into the beach area. I crashed into the sand.
icon_sad.gif

I got into who knows how many crashes on the way home(dodging people, dogs, trees, etc). I haven't ridden a bike since I was a little kid. I have to ride 9-10 miles for work...so I'm scared now. O_O

Ima gonna die guyz
Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680

Comments

• jryantechjryantech Member Posts: 623
    Totally should have invested in a Segway....
    "It's Microsoft versus mankind with Microsoft having only a slight lead."
    -Larry Ellison, CEO, Oracle

Studying: SCJA
  • RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Good stuff KGhaleon - after a couple weeks you will be much more at home.
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    So what time do you have to leave at? Bars close at 2am, so hopefully all the drunks are off the road by then. You might want to invest in a reflective vest or something similar.

At least you're not going during rush hour.
  • supertechCETmasupertechCETma Member Posts: 377
    Helmet!

...lower the seat. icon_cool.gif
    Electronic Technicians Association-International www.eta-i.org
    The Fiber Optic Association www.thefoa.org
    Home Acoustics Alliance® http://www.homeacoustics.net/
    Imaging Science Foundation http://www.imagingscience.com/
  • KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'll probably be riding on the sidewalk, but do I need lights? Are there laws forcing me to go buy some?
  • dpsdps Member Posts: 116
    You'll get used to it in a couple of days. Just watch out for obstacles - pedestrians, cars, and the like.

Yup, always wear a helmet.

Hope you didn't buy one of these bikes...
    http://geekpicksDOTblogspotDOTcom/2008/02/some-weird-bicycles.html
    Focused and Steady.
  • shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    Thats a bold move but with gas prices you're better off...
  • empc4000xlempc4000xl Member Posts: 322
    is there a place for you to shower at work or near by. We have a few people that like to bike in, but showers are there for them.
  • jbaellojbaello Member Posts: 1,191 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you know how to drive a motorcycle, it can make it alot easier for you...
  • AmpdChaosAmpdChaos Member Posts: 130
  • scheistermeisterscheistermeister Member Posts: 748 ■□□□□□□□□□
    jbaello wrote:
    If you know how to drive a motorcycle, it can make it alot easier for you...

That's exactly the kind of bike I thought he was talking about at first. I love my motorcycle and ride it everywhere.
    Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
  • Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    From someone that's owned numerous sport bikes and bikes of the pedal variety, I say that you've made a great choice. Your physical fitness will be increased and you'll have a good clear head when you get to and from work. Never mind the fact that you don't have to pay for gas or insurance.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would invest in a light for the bike if you're going in that early. Also, do you have alternate transportation for inclement weather? Better to have a plan now rather than wait until that thunderstorm hits. Grab a few supplies too, like sunscreen, bottle for water, a towel, etc. For dogs (or other problems) I would carry a small pepper spray for defence, make sure it's a good one that can spray at least a couple shots and has a stream rather than a mist/spray. Better range and less affected by wind. They make some that come with an alarm attached too.

Memorize way points along the path so if you need to call for help you can identify your exact location. You do have a cell phone, don't you? Be smart, have a plan, carry the right supplies, and be alert. Oh and have fun getting in the extra excersize. How long does it take you to make the 10 mile ride?

Congrats on the new position! icon_cool.gif
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • NetAdmin2436NetAdmin2436 Member Posts: 1,076
    Sorry, but your story made me laugh. icon_lol.gif

9-10 miles to work....That will definitely whip you into shape fast. You won't have to go to the gym anymore at least. Yeah, give it a few weeks and you'll be much more comfortable on your bike. I'd suggest making sure you keep up with maintenance on your bike (tires have air, tighten bolts, ect..) so you don't break down.

I wish I could ride through a beach on the way to work, but I'd go with my rollerblades icon_cool.gif
    WIP: CCENT/CCNA (.....probably)
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    KGhaleon wrote:
    I'll probably be riding on the sidewalk, but do I need lights? Are there laws forcing me to go buy some?

Well, depends where you live.

Lights do help YOU to see what is in front of you, and a little flashing red light is fairly inexpensive.

Serioulsy, getting the right fit on a bike will make a world of difference, if it's that 'big' for you then consider it.

Unless you are super tiny and the bike was made for a giant, you should be able to reach the ground by leaning the bike slightly for mounting and dismounting. There isn't any reason to (depending on the bike) to reach the ground while you are pedaling. If you are standing over the bar of the frame, you should not mash your groin, and while on the seat, your knee shouldn't be fully extentend (a good stretch, but not a reach so your hips don't wiggle as you pedal).

If you didn't get a road bike, but a tooling-around-the-town bike...you may want a smaller overall frame.

Do you have 26" wheels or 27"?
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • pLuhhmmpLuhhmm Member Posts: 146
    just put a sweet baseball card in your spokes to warn the people of a incoming missile. icon_lol.gif
    Ever wonder what makes special sauce so special? YO!
  • Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    sprkymrk wrote:
    I would invest in a light for the bike if you're going in that early. Also, do you have alternate transportation for inclement weather? Better to have a plan now rather than wait until that thunderstorm hits. Grab a few supplies too, like sunscreen, bottle for water, a towel, etc. For dogs (or other problems) I would carry a small pepper spray for defence, make sure it's a good one that can spray at least a couple shots and has a stream rather than a mist/spray. Better range and less affected by wind. They make some that come with an alarm attached too.

Memorize way points along the path so if you need to call for help you can identify your exact location. You do have a cell phone, don't you? Be smart, have a plan, carry the right supplies, and be alert. Oh and have fun getting in the extra excersize. How long does it take you to make the 10 mile ride?

Congrats on the new position! icon_cool.gif
    don't forget stay away from the road. if drivers out there are like those out here i'd reccomend it. i rode home from my work to my house one night about 10pm... not fun.

of course, south carolina doesn't believe in street lights on a regular basis. that made it harder.
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685
    Yeah, a lot of cyclists just ride right through red lights.

I got my front and rear lights, and I also went back to the shop and got the seat lowered. Now at least my toes can reach the ground. :D
    I rode through Venice/Santa monica again today and it was actually really nice.

Now just got to see if I'll be able to make it to work, which is south from me.
    I got to drive from Marina del rey to El segundo in south california. icon_redface.gif
  • AlanJamesAlanJames Member Posts: 230
    I bought a gt legato 1.0 for riding to work :D

fab bike, I recommend it :)
  • RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have a bunch of bikes, but unfortunately I am required to visit clients many times during the day and since some are up to 50 miles away I don't think I could get away charging mileage and travelling time icon_lol.gif
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    KGhaleon wrote:
    I got to drive from Marina del rey to El segundo in south california.
    That's what about 10 miles right? That's a good ride. Hope they have showers. :D
    Dunno about showers, I wasn't that sweaty since there is a cool breeze. We're next to the ocean, remember.

I drove to work this morning at 5:30AM and arrived at 7:00AM. I was about 30 minutes earlier than usual. Big win.

Unfortunately since I have to drive along rodes near the LAX/Los angeles airport, it is rather dangerous. I seriously felt threatened when I had to drive through a dark tunnel with narrow lanes. I'll have to find another way around that part. Everything else was fine, though there weren't any bike lanes on a few roads. I also have to go UPHILL in some places. :O

It's not that bad.
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    5:30 to 7:00 is when it is just starting to warm up around here so I imagine that it doesn't feel too bad over there. Good job on the exercise too!
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I've been thinking about getting a bike also. The benefits of exercise and gas savings seem to out weigh the comfort of driving. I'm about to start a new position that will be about 7-9 miles away and might start riding in. I used to ride a lot, but over the years have gotten away and would like to get back into it.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    What's a reasonable mph rate to use as an estimate for calculating time?

I have 12.5 miles to go icon_sad.gif

Too bad it isn't a viable year-round solution for me. Maybe I can put chains on my bike tires icon_lol.gif
    KGhaleon wrote:
    I drove to work this morning at 5:30AM and arrived at 7:00AM. I was about 30 minutes earlier than usual. Big win.

You drove, or rode? And are you saying a 10 mile bike ride took you 90 minutes? That seems a little slow. Am I wrong, or is that only a bit over 6 miles an hour? I can jog 5 miles an hour pretty easy. That is if I could actually go a full 5 miles without passing out. icon_lol.gif
    Well there are roads that go uphill and a lot of places where there was traffic, red lights, and general craziness. I also had a lot of trouble at this one place right before work...where you pass through a tunnel. Dark, scary and narrow tunnel...don't even know if bikes are suppose to drive through there. I felt death at my feet if I were to crash.

Had the same problem coming back earlier. I came upon the tunnel and there was rush hour traffic, so it was impossible to go through. I had to find another way home, which took me another 10 miles or more out of the way. Took me 3 hours to get home.

That sucks and makes me want to sell the bike now. icon_sad.gif
    I need to find a better route.

I also had my front tire go flat suddenly leaving work. Luckily someone aired it for me, but it started going flat as I got home. Dunno if the tire has something wrong with it, or if it's the roads and my driving. That also sucks, and worries me.

I was at a red light and got the signal to cross, but as I was doing so this car came forward and knocked me off my bike. icon_mad.gif The driver apologized with a hand signal, but I don't know if it was intentional.

I also lost my mastercard, and was panicking all day and searched for it everywhere. Finally found it a little while ago in my pants pocket(another pair from yesterday). icon_redface.gif

I'm about to go see Wall-E, so hopefully it will raise my spirit. icon_redface.gif
    Sounds like a bad day.

So you live 10 miles from work, but whether you take busses or ride your bike it's 90 minutes or 2 hours travel time? And sounds like the bike ride is an accident waiting to happen.

I'd seriously be looking for better options. Buy a car, advertise for a car pool, move closer to work, something.
  • stlsmoorestlsmoore Member Posts: 515 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You should bike part of the way and take a bus for the rest, I'm sure they would allow you take bikes with you on the bus. IF it's anything like where I'm at there's a bike rack in front of the bus you can set your bike on.
    My Cisco Blog Adventure: http://shawnmoorecisco.blogspot.com/

Don't Forget to Add me on LinkedIn!
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/shawnrmoore
  • IncInc Member Posts: 184
    Theme song for your day: "Moby - Why Does My Heart Feel So Bad"