Notification of CCIE pass during lab exam?

CiscopimpenatorCiscopimpenator Inactive Imported Users Posts: 134
Doesn't the CCIE Proctor notify people before the end of the day?
Actually, I thought they told you the score before you left the lab.

Could anyone clarify?

Maybe a CCIE who has passed?

-Ciscopimpenator

Comments

• mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    The proctors have already spent the day working.... and there is no 2nd shift for grading.
    mikej412 wrote:
    If someone has sweet talked the Proctor into running the grading script, a group may stick around to see if they have a "lucky one" in their midst. That would take about 25 minutes to run, and if the script says you passed -- you passed. If the script blows up or "fails" -- then a proctor looks at your work -- and probably removes debugging/alias scripts that may have killed the script -- so thats a proctor probably in Tokyo, Beijing, or Sydney -- and we all find out for sure tomorrow (unless its a Friday exam -- then the result probably comes in Sunday).

I think the Voice Exams are graded locally because it's hard to check fax machines remotely. The other exams are graded remotely by the proctors in the labs farther down the time zones. The RTP/San Jose Proctors probably grade the Brussels labs.... in addition to answering Darby's questions.

Things like the security lab may require a proctor to access some of the software interfaces (or maybe they can just check the logs) to see if you met some of the exam conditions.

It would be nice if R&S & SP Candidates could hang around at the end of the day to see if the scripts ran and get a number if its a pass.... or at least get the heads up that the script either blew up or failed you (but then you'd still have to wait for a proctor somewhere to eyeball all your configs). But since the proctors have to get the lab ready for the next days group would you really want a cranky proctor who works 10-12 hours grading your lab?

The NMC DoITs have TCL scripts that you can run against their workbook labs -- which gives you an idea of the commands you can use to verify your configurations and what commands may be used in the Lab grading scripts. If you figure out the questions in the lab and then test your work like it will be graded, then you stand a chance of passing.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • CiscopimpenatorCiscopimpenator Inactive Imported Users Posts: 134
    I could have swore, maybe 5 years ago, everybody that walked into the lab knew if he passed a few hours after the exam....

The NMC DoIT scripts sound like a good place to understand the criteria of the lab.

Thanks
    -Ciscopimpenator
  • NightShade1NightShade1 Member Posts: 433 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Do you work for cisco mike ? :o
  • tech-airmantech-airman Member Posts: 953
    I could have swore, maybe 5 years ago, everybody that walked into the lab knew if he passed a few hours after the exam....

The NMC DoIT scripts sound like a good place to understand the criteria of the lab.

Thanks

Ciscopimenator,

About 5 years ago, the CCIE Lab exam was a two day exam. The first day was to design and implement the network. Then, during the night of the first day, the proctors would create problems into your network that you had to troubleshoot the second day. So I guess it's during the night of day one is where they determine if you designed and implemented the network properly and if you could restore the network back to operational on day two, that's how the candidate may know that they passed the exam after completing day two.

Currently, the CCIE Lab exam is a single day exam. The theory being, the candidate may inject enough problems into their network during the implementation phase for them to troubleshoot therefore examining both implementation and troubleshooting in the same day without proctor intervention.
    Do you work for cisco mike ? :o
    No. But I was at Cisco in RTP last Friday. :D
    The theory being, the candidate may inject enough problems into their network during the implementation phase for them to troubleshoot therefore examining both implementation and troubleshooting in the same day without proctor intervention.
    I'll vouch for that! icon_lol.gif
  • CiscopimpenatorCiscopimpenator Inactive Imported Users Posts: 134

Thanks

Ciscopimenator,

About 5 years ago, the CCIE Lab exam was a two day exam. The first day was to design and implement the network. Then, during the night of the first day, the proctors would create problems into your network that you had to troubleshoot the second day. So I guess it's during the night of day one is where they determine if you designed and implemented the network properly and if you could restore the network back to operational on day two, that's how the candidate may know that they passed the exam after completing day two.

Currently, the CCIE Lab exam is a single day exam. The theory being, the candidate may inject enough problems into their network during the implementation phase for them to troubleshoot therefore examining both implementation and troubleshooting in the same day without proctor intervention.

That's right! I remember that now! :)

So they make you troubleshoot your own mistakes? What happens if you do everything right the first time?
    -Ciscopimpenator
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    So they make you troubleshoot your own mistakes? What happens if you do everything right the first time?

I'm guessing they give you a CCIE number and send you home.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
    Slowhand wrote:
    And maybe give you $5 to buy lottery tickets for them. icon_lol.gif
  • seraphusseraphus Member Posts: 307
    mikej412 wrote:
    Slowhand wrote:

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
    Lab first, ask questions later
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    mikej412 wrote:

Those proctors are pretty hard-bitten. . . you've gotta pass two labs in the same day if you expect them to share their lottery winnings with you. :P

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • mikeeomikeeo Member Posts: 71 ■■□□□□□□□□
    This is exactly what happend to me. I was able to get the proctor to run to the grading script for me and I passed :) I think I'm one of the very few that actually know my grade and see my passing scores.

Mike
    CCIE #17982
  • mgomezmgomez Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Lucky Mike,
    amazing,
    you have see your score....

It should be few guys in the world that have been able to see their score and see the script running,

i hope you have paided a beer to the proctor after
    icon_lol.gif
    manu
  • damsel_in_tha_netdamsel_in_tha_net Member Posts: 75 ■■□□□□□□□□
    i'm deciding between a friday or tuesday date for voice. since voice exams are done locally, would the friday date be *that* bad of a wait for the results?????
    would the friday date be *that* bad of a wait for the results?????
    I did the lab on Fridays at San Jose since that was the only day there was a direct flight back to Chicago in the evening. I've since decided it wasn't worth the wait for the Lab results... nor the extra hours sitting in the San Jose Airport waiting for the direct flight to leave.
    ew . icon_sad.gif yeah i think it'll kill me having to wait all weekend.

i was just hoping that since voice is different, people would find out sooner. icon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gif
    you know very quickly if you passed by script....I passed by script.
  • dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Same here, it took the proctor 5 minutes to run the grading script, 2 of the 4 passed right away then he had to go back and do some hand grading for the other 2, I don't know if they passed or not.

With or without a grade you pretty much know if you have a shot at passing or not when you walk out the door of the lab at the end of the day.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
    does that work for voice too?

i guess i figured the grading process was more involved.
  • dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The voice lab is graded partly by script but mostly by hand from what I was told so I would think it takes longer.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
    Well the voice lab is a totally different animal and the proctors have lots of leeway on how they interpet an answer.

I know two people that are voice CCIE's and know for a fact they didn't score 80 points.
  • keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    mikej412 wrote:
    I did the lab on Fridays at San Jose since that was the only day there was a direct flight back to Chicago in the evening. I've since decided it wasn't worth the wait for the Lab results... nor the extra hours sitting in the San Jose Airport waiting for the direct flight to leave.

so did you get a result?
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    keenon wrote:
    mikej412 wrote:

so did you get a result?
    He's booked it for mid-August.