should i go for a BS Degree in MIS?

pesinetpesinet Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi, I am 33 years old system administrator, I hold Microsoft, Comptia and Apple Certification. should i go for a BS Degree in MIS to find a better job.

Thanks.
CompTIA A+, Network+, MCP 70-210, MCTS 70-640, MCTS 70-642, MCITP 70-646, ACHDS 10.4, ACTC 10.4, ACSP 10.5, MCTS 70-620, MCITP 70-623.

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    It wouldn't hurt your chances of getting a better job.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • gojericho0gojericho0 Member Posts: 1,059 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I don't think you can go wrong with getting a degree especially if you want to get into management.
  • pesinetpesinet Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    How long take a Degree +- 5 years?
    CompTIA A+, Network+, MCP 70-210, MCTS 70-640, MCTS 70-642, MCITP 70-646, ACHDS 10.4, ACTC 10.4, ACSP 10.5, MCTS 70-620, MCITP 70-623.
  • mengo17mengo17 Member Posts: 100 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Usually 4 years if you go full time... which is 4 classes per term. You can always do the summer also to get rid of a few classes ealier.
    Thanks
  • Gfactor21Gfactor21 Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    If you are going to get a degree I would recommend WGU. Your certification would count towards your degree
    is this WGU a good one?
    WGU seems to be legit from what research I have done. I have just started my enrollment process there and should be starting soon. We also have a few current students from WGU who post here I believe.
    Thanks

is this a online Program?
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Yea, one interesting piece of information that came out the other day regarding WGU vs. Capella is that WGU is non-profit and Capella is for-profit. I'm kind of torn because I'd rather go with a non-profit, but I like Capella's programs better.

What program are you looking at, networker?
    yes, Networking
    I am going for the BS in IT. I was thinking about the BS IT-Networks Design and Management but decided to just go with the BS IT because I don't really want to go for the entire MCSE as I'm not a Windows administrator.
    Yea, especially since it will be on it's way out by the time you're done with the program. That's the main reason I dislike IT programs that focus on a specific technology.

I wish they offered more than the MBA in IT management for graduate degrees. Capella has a huge range of graduate degrees: http://www.capella.edu/schools_programs/profession/it.aspx When did they add the PhDs!?

Good luck to both of you!
  • darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    To the OP: I have a Bachelor of Business Administration in Computer Information Systems. It definitely helps because you understand why accounting/marketing wants this or that and how to get them what they need, just as an example. If you want to be more business-oriented and you want to find business solutions, the CIS degree is it. If you want to do more programming and understand the underlying architectures of the systems that CIS people use to satisfy business needs, then a Bachelor of Science in Computer Programming is what you want. Best advice is to look at job announcements for jobs you're interested in. If most of them list BS Computer Programming, that's what I'd go for.
    ok but i am not programming, i am networking so what degree is right for me?
    some advice please
  • darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    Networking, I'd go with MIS. It can differ depending on your school, though. Check the school you're interested in and see which curriculum offers networking classes. At my school, all the networking classes were in the school of business, under the Computer Information Systems curriculum.
  • learningtofly22learningtofly22 Member Posts: 159
    dynamik wrote:
    Yea, especially since it will be on it's way out by the time you're done with the program. That's the main reason I dislike IT programs that focus on a specific technology.

I wish they offered more than the MBA in IT management for graduate degrees. Capella has a huge range of graduate degrees: http://www.capella.edu/schools_programs/profession/it.aspx When did they add the PhDs!?

I've been going to Capella for about a year and a half, and am about to finally graduate w/ my BS in Business Admin. After that, I'll be going into their MBA program focusing on IT. At first, I was looking at the MSIT programs, but after researching a bit on job boards and speaking with graduate degree holders, the MBA/IT is more oriented toward my career goals.

Doesn't really bother me that Capella's for profit, I really enjoy their curriculum, and their classes have directly helped me in my career.
  • coffeekingcoffeeking Member Posts: 305 ■■■■□□□□□□
    dynamik wrote:

I've been going to Capella for about a year and a half, and am about to finally graduate w/ my BS in Business Admin. After that, I'll be going into their MBA program focusing on IT. At first, I was looking at the MSIT programs, but after researching a bit on job boards and speaking with graduate degree holders, the MBA/IT is more oriented toward my career goals.

Doesn't really bother me that Capella's for profit, I really enjoy their curriculum, and their classes have directly helped me in my career.

Just a year and a half, that is very quick for a BS. What is the usual length of the program? You must have taken more than full loads.
    Cool. Thanks for the feedback.

I'm itching to get into their InfoSec Masters program.
  • coffeekingcoffeeking Member Posts: 305 ■■■■□□□□□□
    dynamik wrote:
    Cool. Thanks for the feedback.

I'm itching to get into their InfoSec Masters program.

Just looked at the link you have provided earlier. Sounds very interesting. I myself am interested in Infosec program. Looks like they cover plenty in there. I might have to wait on it for a couple years or more since I am just starting my career in Infosec and gotta come up with the money to pay for.
  • rfult001rfult001 Member Posts: 407
    Pesinet,

http://business.fiu.edu/landon/mis.cfm

http://www.cis.fiu.edu/programs/undergrad/#it

You can actually dual major MIS and IT which will get you the business experience as well as technical experience. I just finished my BS in IT and I am starting my MS in Telecommunications and IT. A lot of the classes are available online, and all the lectures are usually after 6pm anyway.
    Quite a few networking and related courses in the IT program. Take a look at it since you are in Miami anyway.