My Experience with 70-291

eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
Took this one today and passed with a 715.

It took me about 3 hours to complete, with lots of second-guessing my answers and cursing under my breath.

For those of you that do this stuff everyday, I can see where this exam would be challenging. For those that have little or no exposure to this material, this exam would be impossible.

I studied using the MS Press book and 2 2003 servers at home. The MS Press book was really dull, so I would say that I spent most of my study time actually doing things on my equipment that was kind of in-line with the exercises in the book. I have some prior knowledge of the content, so a lot of the generic stuff was a matter of refreshing my mind about what different terms mean and in what situations you'd need to apply those concepts. I'd say the MS Press book is good for that and probably more if you can stay awake while reading it.

I also purchased the 70-291 PrepLogic study material a while back (when they were offering free vouchers with a purchase). I used this a bit but didn't find it to be very helpful.

Next step is 70-620, hopefully this Friday, which will give me an MCSA. Not sure if I will complete the remaining requirements for the MCSE or not, as having that cert doesn't really provide me with anything extra that I can use. My focus is on other competencies that I am seeing a much higher demand for in terms of qualified instructors.

Best of luck to those attempting this one...don't underestimate it.

MS

Comments

• AmpdChaosAmpdChaos Member Posts: 130
  • SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    Congratulations!! Glad to see another one knocking down the beast!
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Whoa.. that's cutting it pretty close ;)

Congratulations icon_cheers.gif
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    eMeS wrote:
    I studied using the MS Press book and 2 2003 servers at home. The MS Press book was really dull, so I would say that I spent most of my study time actually doing things on my equipment that was kind of in-line with the exercises in the book. I have some prior knowledge of the content, so a lot of the generic stuff was a matter of refreshing my mind about what different terms mean and in what situations you'd need to apply those concepts. I'd say the MS Press book is good for that and probably more if you can stay awake while reading it.

That's what worked best for me as well. Hands on is so much more fun. :D

Congratulations on your pass! Good luck on the next one too.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    congrats, this exam is no slouch. Anything over a 699 is good. Again, congrats eMeS
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    dynamik wrote:
    Whoa.. that's cutting it pretty close ;)

Congratulations icon_cheers.gif

I'd be perfectly happy with simple P/F grading on these exams so that I didn't have to know comparatively how much less I know about this stuff than all of the smart people here!

Special thanks to this forum...although I don't add much here I have periodically read through these posts and they helped a lot.

MS
    Wow...I looked back at my 70-290 score...

http://www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=23978

I guess I got distracted with other things about a year ago....I missed my 6/18/2007 target date for 70-291....

MS
  • astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
  • NetAdmin2436NetAdmin2436 Member Posts: 1,076
    Congrats!

You beat my score by 15 points. icon_lol.gif
    WIP: CCENT/CCNA (.....probably)
  • TechStrikerTechStriker Member Posts: 131
    Congratulations
    Passed SNIA - SCSP
    Working on VCP4
  • mariegeniamariegenia Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Well... it's good to hear that you pass.
    It seems to be one of the hardest exams...

I hope being as lucky as you in 2 weeks!!!
    working on 70-291

70-290
    mariegenia wrote:
    Well... it's good to hear that you pass.
    It seems to be one of the hardest exams...

I hope being as lucky as you in 2 weeks!!!

Buena suerte, y deseo que te vaya todo bien.

Un secreto para tu:

Hoy es mi compleaños (2 de Julio)! Treinta y ocho!

Abuelito....

MS
  • Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I can only hope to get your score. I am seriously finding 70-291 to be the most boring yet in the set.

Hasta luego.
    -Daniel
    Daniel333 wrote:
    hope

Esperanza....one of the few people I miss from high school.

I found it (70-291) to be a severe beating as well. What worked best for me was just practicing with systems.

MS
  • dvalenzueladvalenzuela Member Posts: 123
    Congrats on your Pass. I just got mine. Believe It's so unstresfull......
    close to MCSA!!
  • shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    Congrats MS!! Good luck on 620