Where the jobs are...

eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□

Comments

• snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    eMeS wrote:

damn firewall doing its job!!! :)

ill have to check it out when I get home.
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    snadam wrote:
    eMeS wrote:

damn firewall doing its job!!! :)

ill have to check it out when I get home.

Yeah, they don't want you finding a new job...
  • GrynderGrynder Member Posts: 106
    Interesting article. I have a BS in Biology before making my hobby (computers in general) my job. I would probably be better off having a Computer related degree. I did get an Associates in Networking from an local Community College.
    Is it possible to get a second Bachelors degree and use some of the credits from my previous education? I don't want to have to take Humanities etc requirements again.
    I will have to look into that. Instead of concentrating on certs I might be better off getting a Computer related degree.
  • scheistermeisterscheistermeister Member Posts: 748 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Screw those states. I love tech, but I have no love for the places they named as the top places. Too many people and too strict gun laws for my tastes.
    Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If you read the Salary Strength and Shrinking Pool of Potential US Hires section, it sounds like tech is doing great. Then there's a bunch of other stories that say it's not. What's the deal?

On a side note, I make less than the average IT person in Puerto Rico. I think I'm going to start working on my resume tonight...

Thanks for the link.
  • LarryDaManLarryDaMan Member Posts: 797
    Great article. I am in the D.C area and there are a fair amount of IT jobs, and if you have a Top Secret security clearance, a degree, and some certs... you are a shoe in for a nice position. The problem is that the traffic is terrible, it is expensive to live here, and the traffic is terrible.
  • jbaellojbaello Member Posts: 1,191 ■■■□□□□□□□
    How do I get a security clearance? I will be applying for citizenship soon.
    jbaello wrote:
    How do I get a security clearance? I will be applying for citizenship soon.

http://www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=185307#185307
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Engineering... computer science... chip manufacturing... software engineering... that's not the track most of us are on right now, I don't see the discrepancy in stories. These tracks could be on the rise while IT administrator positions be on the squeeze.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
    Grynder wrote:
    Interesting article. I have a BS in Biology before making my hobby (computers in general) my job. I would probably be better off having a Computer related degree. I did get an Associates in Networking from an local Community College.
    Is it possible to get a second Bachelors degree and use some of the credits from my previous education? I don't want to have to take Humanities etc requirements again.
    I will have to look into that. Instead of concentrating on certs I might be better off getting a Computer related degree.

Yes, you can and you won't have to retake English, etc.. Usually schools require a minimum of 30 additional hours in residence for the 2nd degree.

I did something very similar to this many moons ago (like in the early 90's). My opinion is that it wasn't worth it, because having any undergraduate degree mattered much more than having any specific undergraduate degree.

If I had it to do over, I would skip the 2nd bachelors and do more graduate work.

MS
    Screw those states. I love tech, but I have no love for the places they named as the top places. Too many people and too strict gun laws for my tastes.

If you're not already here...you'd love Texas.

With that in mind, I think Colorado is reasonable in this regard as well.

MS
    dynamik wrote:
    If you read the Salary Strength and Shrinking Pool of Potential US Hires section, it sounds like tech is doing great. Then there's a bunch of other stories that say it's not. What's the deal?

I think the deal is that anything can be spun to fit whatever picture needs to be painted....

MS
  • Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096

hahaha agreed on that one. i don't mind the people so much but i'm not leaving my guns behind.
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685
  • vistalavistavistalavista Member Posts: 78 ■■□□□□□□□□
    dynamik wrote:

On a side note, I make less than the average IT person in Puerto Rico. I think I'm going to start working on my resume tonight...

Thanks for the link.

Their basis for forecasting less number of people entering IT is less people going for a CS degree. While in reality there's more than enough people entering IT through tech schools and community colleges which I think is a better way of doing it.
  • astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    too strict gun laws for my tastes; you'd love Texas; i'm not leaving my guns behind.
    OMG, sometimes you Americans are funny with your gun obsessions. :)

There's nothing for me quite like visiting a client in the US and going out for dinner with them, having them show you their beautifully restored '57 Chevy (or whatever) and remarking on the fully populated gun rack they've installed in the back. icon_lol.gif
  • vistalavistavistalavista Member Posts: 78 ■■□□□□□□□□
    ^^ ha ha

Talk about obsession!
  • IT ManIT Man Member Posts: 159
    Grynder wrote:

Don't get a 2nd bachelors, go for the Masters. My undergrad degree was in Physics and I was looking into 2nd bachelor programs for IT. I then discovered I could get into grad school programs for IT without any trouble. So for I have 12 credits towards my MS in IT. Just my 2 cents.
    Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll still land among the stars. - Les Brown
    astorrs wrote:

There's nothing for me quite like visiting a client in the US and going out for dinner with them, having them show you their beautifully restored '57 Chevy (or whatever) and remarking on the fully populated gun rack they've installed in the back. icon_lol.gif

Screw leaving them in the car, I take my guns with me :D
    Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
  • vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    What are the top states? I can't see them because I'm at work. icon_eek.gif
    astorrs wrote:
    too strict gun laws for my tastes; you'd love Texas; i'm not leaving my guns behind.

No gun racks here, but I'll gladly show you the guns I carry. My wife and I both pretty much always have one, and we have one in each car. Both of our cars are European, so a gun rack might look a bit funny.

I read once that per capita gun ownership was much higher in Canada than the US (in fact, I think this statistic was mentioned in Bowling for Columbine).

http://www.cdnshootingsports.org/tenmyths.html

If the "3 guns per household" thing is true, then that would be much higher than the average US household. But perhaps not higher than the average Texas household. :D

Concealed carry is a privilege here in Texas. There is mandatory training and a really nasty background check before a permit is issued.
    Geez. I'm going to have to get a gun just so I can protect myself from you guys icon_eek.gif
  • cbigbrickcbigbrick Member Posts: 284
    If you are worried about gun ownership, just move to Virginia. We have some of the most PRO gun rights in the nation. And the NRA headquarters is right there in Fairfax, I pass it twice everday.

There are also plently of contracting jobs with the federal government in the Northern Virginia area.

And just like larrydaman said......traffic is horrible and it is expensive to live here.
    And in conclusion your point was.....???

Don't get so upset...it's just ones and zeros.
    dynamik wrote:
    Geez. I'm going to have to get a gun just so I can protect myself from you guys icon_eek.gif

Good news! I can carry in MN!

http://carryconcealed.net/legal/reciprocity.php

MS
    dynamik wrote:

I can carry there too. But we aren't the ones you have to worry about. It is the people who don't bother getting the permit you have to worry about.
  • cbigbrickcbigbrick Member Posts: 284
    In the DC area, CISSP plus a clearance is very hot right now. I'm seeing alot of jobs that you must have a Security Clearence and be clearable to a Top Security Clearence.

HHHHHHHMMMMMMMMMM??? icon_wink.gif
    And in conclusion your point was.....???

Don't get so upset...it's just ones and zeros.
  • LarryDaManLarryDaMan Member Posts: 797
    cbigbrick wrote:
    In the DC area, CISSP plus a clearance is very hot right now. I'm seeing alot of jobs that you must have a Security Clearence and be clearable to a Top Security Clearence.

HHHHHHHMMMMMMMMMM??? icon_wink.gif

I have a Top Secret SCI clearance and I will be taking the CISSP on October 19th... so I will be in good shape. I read about people on these forums with loads of certifications and some experience making $12 per hour. That seems so very low to me, because you can't afford live in D.C on that. I make 4 times that and I do not live any great lifestyle, and I am not especially happy with my situation.

I wonder if it is better to make $12 in BFE nowhere and survive okay with no traffic and less stress....

or to make $48 an hour living in an overpriced house in an expensive town with 2-3 hours of traffic everyday?

I have the latter, but I think I might rather have the former....
  • stlsmoorestlsmoore Member Posts: 515 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Or move somewhere in the middle like St. Louis where you can kinda have the best of both worlds. Good pay with very inexpensive living.
    My Cisco Blog Adventure: http://shawnmoorecisco.blogspot.com/

Don't Forget to Add me on LinkedIn!
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/shawnrmoore
  • TryPingingTheServerTryPingingTheServer Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    eMeS wrote:
    Concealed carry is a privilege here in Texas.

Guns and Texas? Well that's just mashed potatoes and gravy isn't it? icon_lol.gif
    "His GPA is a solid 2.0. Right in that meaty part of the curve - not showing off, not falling behind."
    eMeS wrote:
    Concealed carry is a privilege here in Texas.

Guns and Texas? Well that's just mashed potatoes and gravy isn't it? icon_lol.gif

There is a county in Georgia where the head of the household is required by law to keep at least one gun in the house.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kennesaw,_Georgia#Gun_law

MS
  • astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Oh dear now that's loony. I like how they forgot to exclude felons, etc the first time around... :D
    "eMeS, you're under arrest for unlawful non-possession of a firearm. You have the right to remain silent..."