Options

clean install w/out losing data

JSW77JSW77 Member Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
My A+ book mentions (in the XP chapter) that if you have an OS installed, but chose to do a clean install of XP instead of an upgrade, that you can install XP over the old OS without losing data (however, OS settings and installed software will not carry forward). I assume this means that XP must be in a separate partition (or volume) than the data, right? (after all, it should be anyway). Is this possible with other OSs too, or is this just an XP feature? For instance, if Im installing 98 over 95 (or 2000 over 98, whatever), and have separate partitions for the OS and data, can I simply do a clean install of the new OS over the old OS in that partition, and expect my data to be untouched (as long as I dont delete the data partition during setup)? Also (stay with me here! :) ), if I keep my applications in a separate partition (or volume) from the others (as they probably should be), why couldnt these remain intact during the "switchover" of OSs as well? Thanks for the help!

Comments

• Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    I assume this means that XP must be in a separate partition (or volume) than the data, right?
    No, because the partition/volume doesn't have to be reformatted for the installation to succeed. But:
    (after all, it should be anyway).
    indeed...
    Is this possible with other OSs too, or is this just an XP feature?
    I guess the first answer, answers this as well. I.e. instead of upgrading from 95 to 98 you could install 98 and keep the data (as long as you don't format the volume or when the data is on a separate volume)
    Also (stay with me here! ), if I keep my applications in a separate partition (or volume) from the others (as they probably should be), why couldnt these remain intact during the "switchover" of OSs as well?
    Because the Windows folder (hence the registry with application settins and folders in the program files folder are overwritten when you perform a clean installation. If you want to 'repair' Windows XP by install Windows XP again, you should choose upgrade if you want to retain the settings and applications. This is called an 'in-place upgrade':
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=312369
  • Options
    lazyartlazyart Member Posts: 483
    I am not 100% positive here, but I have installed a 9x over a 9x as a clean install but didnt reformat-- that is boot from CD and run setup as opposed to upgrading while running Windows.

My recollection is that the software still runs but user settings like desktop wallpaper were wiped out. There is even a point during the DOS based install where it claims to be checking the registry, even though it's a new install.

I don't know how this would present itself in the exam, but it is what I remember. With XP I couldnt venture a guess.
    I'm not a complete idiot... some parts are missing.
  • Options
    Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    I have installed XP over XP, without losing data, booting from a Win98 disk, put in the XP cd, and done. No issues, (other than M$ usuals) to deal with.
    i remain, he who remains to be....