I'd like some advice

briandwestbriandwest Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
I passed the A+ & Network+ tests last month, so I thought I'd try for the Security+ this month. There's a job posting that expires end-of-day tomorrow, so I thought I'd try and pass the Security+ before then. I used the ExamCram2 series for the first two tests, and thought they were helpful. On this one, I got the EC2 book again. On their first practice test, I got an 83%. On the second, I got a 94%. By that measure, I should, in theory, be ready for the real thing, right? Well, I bought an exam voucher from GraceTech Solutions, and they included the Security+ Beta Exam version of BeachFront Quizzer. After running through 193 of those questions, I only got about 64% of them right. On initial run-throughs of free online practice exams, I've got similar 60-70% results.

So I guess my question is, are the ExamCram2 results trustworthy? Are the questions in their printed practice exams in keeping with what's really on the exam? Are other practice exams needlessly rigorous? I'd like to get the test over with, but I'd also like to pass it. Any thoughts or advice? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Lets just say that you want better than 90% on the beachfront and others. I was getting better than 90% and I stuffed up and missed. The thing you have to remember is that Sec+ is unlike any other Comptia exam.
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • briandwestbriandwest Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the input. So...
    1) Are there any practice tests that are particularly good or bad?
    2) Are practice tests created for the beta version of the Security+ test still accurate or helpful? Did CompTIA significantly change the test from the beta version to now?
    Ummm - first off, my understanding is that everyone who sat the beta passed no matter what their score.

Recommended reading is Tcat Howsers excellent pdf - the full paid one & not the free version.

Recommended CBT - CBT Nuggets

Recommended test - Boson #3

The test when it first came live was a shambles and very inaccurate. From speaking to people who sat it last year and then resat it this year it appears that many of the questions have been changed to be more accurate and some of the totally incorrect ones have been dropped. There are still some misleading questions and some with multiple correct answers, but fewer than there was.
    www.supercross.com
  • BulletToothTonyBulletToothTony Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I found this post thread to be very eerie, because I am now stuck on the same couple of questions. I just passed my network+ exam today and I am looking forward to my next exam. My choice, 70-270 (XP) or Security+. I have been using Exam Cram2 for my previous two certs and have already purchased the Exam Cram books for both security+ and 70-270. Right now I am trying to figure out which is worth more to me. On one hand, the A+ and Net+ will sub for an elective for my 2003 (track I am choosing to go) MCSA, but when I go for my MCSE, I will need my security+ for an elective. I figure that both are going to need some serious study time.

Also, as the original poster asked, what is the overall opinion of exam cram books? Although they have helped me in the past, I know both my certs are entry level and really cannot be compared to anything I have coming up in the future.

Thanks
  • janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    My opinion--

Get the XP out of the way and probably the 2k Server or Server 2k3, then you'll have a good understanding of what it is you have to secure.

That's my path...........and my opinion.

Best of luck!
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
    Thanks for the advice. I just finished Tech School about a week or so ago and I am now just catching up on all my certs. During my tenure, I took a pretty intense security class, and was graded highly for it, which is the only reason I would be thinking about taking the security+ so soon. But I believe that you are right and I should at least get my MCP out of the way.

Thanks again.
    A brief update: I used the beta-era BeachFront Quizzer study sessions until my study percentages were over 90%. I took their exam and got 98%. Hey, I think, we're doing great. So I took the PrepLogic practice exam from the CD that came with the ExamCram book. 70-something percent. Not so great. I spent the money on the full set of PrepLogic tests. First practice exam, 78%. Ugh. Kicking my butt. So I studied up, memorized more port #'s, TCSEC classes of trust (which aren't even mentioned in the EC book), encryption algorithms, attack names, more OSI layer details, etc. Took exam #2--only 80%.

By this time, it was too late to take the Sec+ exam in time to benefit this particular job posting. So I backed off, actually slept, and will come back to it all tomorrow. I think I did so well on the BFQ exam because I had virtually memorized the 500 or so questions they used in the study sessions (and the exams--same wording, etc.). So, I'll review the PrepLogic exams I've already taken, until I feel really comfortable with them, then see how I do on the last practice exam. If I can get that at least 90%, maybe I'm ready. *sigh*
    And THAT is the problem....

You memorised the questions rather than learned the subject matter in a way that you could recall sufficiently. When you were hit with a similar question you kept thinking the answer U had in your mind.
    www.supercross.com
    I know that memorizing the questions is not a good thing, but I think it can also be used as an advantage as well. The way I look at it, if you are able to memorize the questions and answers, and you understand why the answers are the answers, you should have a pretty good understanding of the subject matter. But on the flip side, I can see where it will hurt you if you don't understand why the answers are what they are.
    Good point, but unfortunately many of the practice questions are close enough to the real ones, but written differently. This difference does tend to confuse when faced with the real deal. Especially when you are used to the practice questions being more challenging than the real ones icon_confused.gif
    www.supercross.com
    Final Update: I reviewed the first two tests in the paid PrepLogic package, re-took them, and got 95% on both. So I took the last test in that package. 83%. Grrr... With reckless abandon, I decided enough was enough. I reviewed my mistakes on the last one, and scheduled the Real Deal. I got an 836!!! (i.e., 93%) There were a number of questions that kicked my butt, but I reviewed all 100 questions (corrected a few stupid mistakes) and carefully thought through the logic and grammar of all those that didn't seem clear or obvious to me. Where with the A+ and Network+ exams I only took something like 35 minutes or so, I used 88 out of the 90 minutes allowed for this one. *WHEW* Big sigh of relief.

I still don't have a good answer for my original question. In the end, I had to digest everything from all three sources (ExamCram, BFQ beta, & PrepLogic, free & paid) completely to do as well as I did on the real test. Unlike a lot of people that post on these forums, I don't have a lot of experience with different brands of prep materials. FWIW, before I really dug into the EC Security+ book, I already ordered their books for the 70-270, 290, 291, 293, & 294. Hopefully that wasn't a mistake.

Thanks for the advice and banter from everyone on this topic.
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
  • KatanaSamKatanaSam Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    janmike wrote:
    My opinion--

Get the XP out of the way and probably the 2k Server or Server 2k3, then you'll have a good understanding of what it is you have to secure.

That's my path...........and my opinion.

Best of luck!

Just wanted to mention that someone has told me that you should have a good understanding of the server side even for the client exam. Apparently a good number of the questions are anything but limited to the client. They took their server exams first and felt it paid off in spades for them when they went into the client exams. Just a thought.
  • janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    KatanaSam,

This is no doubt true. I've been studying M$ client and Server together and have no doubt. Some day soon, I'll get my nerve up and take an exam!

briandwest,

Congrats on the Security+ Certifcation!. Excellent score!
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
    Congrats briandwest icon_thumright.gif
    www.supercross.com
  • lsealslseals Member Posts: 240
    Congrats Brian
    24 Hours in a day...24 Beers in a case...Coincidence?