Vista Business/Ultimate for 70-620 Self-Study

eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
How necessary is it to have Vista Business/Ultimate to study for the 70-620 exam?

I'm using the MS Press book via Techref. For some reason this book through Techref doesn't provide the disk image (where many other books do).

I have a real license for Home Premium. I know that I can't attach that version to a domain, but does this really matter in when studying for 70-620? I'd prefer to go with something that I have in-hand on a disk as opposed to download disk images for a trial, etc...

Thanks,

MS

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    620 is really a home users exam. There's no domain integration, deployment, etc. They don't even cover ACLs. Those are in 622.

Also, I believe you can install any version you want without entering a key and use it for 60 days.
  • eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    dynamik wrote:
    Also, I believe you can install any version you want without entering a key and use it for 60 days.

Thanks dynamik. I've heard this also.

Sounds like Home Premium will work for my needs.

MS
  • MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The eval period is 30 days but you are supposed to be able to extend it to 120 days.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Microsoft-Offers-Official-Hacks-for-Vista-SP1-and-Windows-Server-2008-Free-Rides-78522.shtml
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I just realized that my "Home Premium" disk has all versions on it...including the European ones...

That's what happens when I read the book!

I installed Ultimate under VMware and am going with a 30-day trial...I'm hoping to take the exam as soon as next Monday so I should be good.

MS
    Yea, that's what I was trying to say, sorry.

All the Vista media is the same, the key is the only thing that designates which version you have.
  • brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    To my knowledge, Ult/Business have some of the backup/restore type features taht home premium doesnt. I've read alot where if you want to do X or Y, you need Ultimate or Business.
    Yea, keeping track of all the differences is a nightmare. That alone actually gets a decent amount of attention in the book and on the exam. You're right about the backup, I believe only business, enterprise, and ultimate have the drive imaging feature. And only Enterprise and Ultimate have bit locker, etc. I just went with Ultimate to make sure I had everything available. You can also sell yourself short on this exam if you go with Business because you'll miss out on the media center functionality and things like that from Home Premium. I'm getting a headache, so I'm going to stop now...