New Security Certifications forum and Moderator

WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
Welcome to our new Security Certifications forum. As many of you know, security has become a hot topic in the IT industry, hence in the IT certification industry. So we felt the time is right to add a new forum dedicated to security related certifications.

The 'sticky' posts in this forum contain basic info about the most popular security certs. When we get a lot of posts about a particular cert or vendor, I will create a separate forum for it (i.e. CEH, or ISC2).

I will also post some of the best resources with study material and practice exams for these certifications and will start on writing practice exams and TechNotes for some of these exams soon. If you think you have something good to contribute contact me using the PM feature and we'll work something out.

Together with this new forum comes a new moderator. I'm proud to announce that Ten9t6 will moderate this new forum. He has an impressive list of security certs in his pocket, including CISSP, SSCP, CEH, MCSE:Security, and more, and will try to answer your questions when he can.

icon_exclaim.gif Please post CompTIA Security+ questions where they belong, in our Security+ forum.

Comments

• x_Danny_xx_Danny_x Member Posts: 312 ■■□□□□□□□□
    EXCELLENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did you checked out the list of certifications of im doing with New Horizons! The very last ones are about security. I was wondering where I was going to find help, lol

Say are you familiar with the security certifications Im going to take? Here they are!

Cisco® PiX—

Teaches the knowledge and skills needed to describe, configure, verify and manage the PIX Firewall product family and the Cisco IOS® Firewall feature set.

Security Certified Network Professional(SCNP)—

Hardening the Infrastructure(HTI)-- Topics will include: hardening Windows, Linux and Routers, Advanced TCP/IP, IPSec, Contingency Planning, Internet and Wed Hardening, and Attack Techniques. This is the first course offered in Level 1 of the Security Certified Program.

Network Defense and Countermeasures--

This is the second course of the first level of the Security Certified Program. It focuses on understanding the architecture for Network Defense.

Microsoft ISA Server—

The goal of this course is to provide Information Technology (IT) professionals with the knowledge and skills to deploy and manage Microsoft® Internet Security and Acceleration (ISA) Server 2000 in an enterprise environment.

Checkpoint Certified Security Administrator/Checkpoint Certified Security Engineer—

Teaches the student how to use and implement the Checkpoint Firewall configurations.
    There There, Its okay to feel GUILTY...........There is no SIN in PLEASURE!
  • Ten9t6Ten9t6 Member Posts: 691
    x_Danny_x,

I have not taken all of those tests...I have studied some of them...And I familiar with most of them...So, feel free to post your questions. If I do not know the answer...I will find the answer. That way we both learn...Good luck in your studies...
    Kenny

A+, Network+, Linux+, Security+, MCSE+I, MCSE:Security, MCDBA, CCNP, CCDP, CCSP, CCVP, CCIE Written (R/S, Voice),INFOSEC, JNCIA (M and FWV), JNCIS (M and FWV), ENA, C|EH, ACA, ACS, ACE, CTP, CISSP, SSCP, MCIWD, CIWSA
  • Don_PADon_PA Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Wow it looks like your overcertified Ten icon_rolleyes.gificon_confused.gif

You are right that the 70-214 exam is kind of hard. I have to take it because I have used a little bit and passed ISA Server 227. Do you get another cerficicate for MCSE Security specialization or is it appended there. I am also interested in the Checkpoint Firewall certs. I have the evaluation software. Do you know anything about a software called SecurePoint and are they related to Checkpoint? What do you consider the best firewall for personal and commercial use?

That's all the Security certs I want to earn plus Security plus; then I want to move to databases and Oracle 8i/9i. icon_cool.gificon_eek.gif:)
    CCNA CCDA CWSP CWAP CCA HP Laser Printers MCTS MCSE 2003 JNCIA JNCIS
  • RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats Ten9t6 icon_thumright.gif
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
    Thanks RussS...

Don_PA....I have not dealt with securepoint. I can tell you that if you are wanting to take the Checkpoint tests, you really need to load and mess around with the software. I have taken several Checkpoint NG practice tests and they were mostly questions about the interface. So, if you had not had a lot of time configuring it...the practice tests would be pretty hard...

For home use....I don't think you can go wrong with any of the main firewalls out there. A common problem with most firewalls is the configuration. So, no matter which one you pick....research the configs...test them....and keep on top of the updates...

Currently I have a Watchguard SOHO. I can not complain....It was free... :)
    Kenny

A+, Network+, Linux+, Security+, MCSE+I, MCSE:Security, MCDBA, CCNP, CCDP, CCSP, CCVP, CCIE Written (R/S, Voice),INFOSEC, JNCIA (M and FWV), JNCIS (M and FWV), ENA, C|EH, ACA, ACS, ACE, CTP, CISSP, SSCP, MCIWD, CIWSA
  • 2lazybutsmart2lazybutsmart Member Posts: 1,119
    Congrats on being made mod Ten9t6. You certainly have what it takes to be one. icon_thumright.gif

2lbs.
    Exquisite as a lily, illustrious as a full moon,
    Magnanimous as the ocean, persistent as time.
    Thanks...

:D
    Kenny

• x_Danny_xx_Danny_x Member Posts: 312 ■■□□□□□□□□
    WoW, Tent, Have to respect your accomplishments icon_eek.gif

No Problem, We both will help each other on this icon_wink.gif
    There There, Its okay to feel GUILTY...........There is no SIN in PLEASURE!
  • quickpotquickpot Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats icon_thumright.gif

I have a feeling I will be using this section a lot :)