Two email domain addresses one email server

coax31coax31 Member Posts: 117 ■■■□□□□□□□
We have a Windows 2003 domain and Exchange 2003 server; we have a domain on the outside Prestigerealtygroup.com that routs mail through Postini. We created another domain called prestigebrokerageservices.com and a created an mx record that points to the same email server as prestigerealtygroup.com. I also added the prestigebrokergaeservices.com as another smtp address on the default recipient policy in Exchange System Manger. When I send mail to a prestigebrokergaeservices.com email address the mail doesn’t get there I receive a mail is delayed message then the message never gets delivered. Just wondering if it is possible for one exchange server to send and receive email for two different domain addresses?

Comments

• wedge1988wedge1988 Member Posts: 434 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Im sure you need to set up an routable address dude, i had to play around with this one for where we are (in a school) which is a **** cause you dont maintain your own internet connection!

anyways, under "Routing groups > First Routing Group > Connectors" you should be able to set up additional connectors to forward mail to other exchange servers / other addresses.

see here: http://www.exchangeinbox.com/article.aspx?i=86

My problem was that we have two domains, both under a trust relationship, one is connected to the internet via a domain address (.sch.uk) and one which is (.local) and obviously staff on the .local domain would want to e-mail out, so to do that, i had to set up an routable address for outboud mail to the other exchange server which acted as the Intermediary.

hope that this has helped you dude ;) - i plan on doing exchange after my 291!
    ~ wedge1988 ~ IdioT Certified~
    MCSE:2003 ~ MCITP:EA ~ CCNP:R&S ~ CCNA:R&S ~ CCNA:Voice ~ Office 2000 MASTER ~ A+ ~ N+ ~ C&G:IT Diploma ~ Ofqual Entry Japanese
  • HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    Telnet directly to the Exchange server and try sending to a valid address with the domain in question. If it fails, it's a problem with Exchange.

Also, did you issue a rebuild or anything on the RUS after changing the policy?
    Good luck to all!
  • coax31coax31 Member Posts: 117 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Seems like port 25 is blocked, I did a telnet mail.prestigebrokerageservices.com 25 and the connection failed also telneted the public IP of the mail server it also failed. since we filter incoming mail through postini their may be a firewall rule to only allow port 25 traffic from postini public IPs. I don't know what RUS is?
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    coax31 wrote:
    Seems like port 25 is blocked, I did a telnet mail.prestigebrokerageservices.com 25 and the connection failed also telneted the public IP of the mail server it also failed. since we filter incoming mail through postini their may be a firewall rule to only allow port 25 traffic from postini public IPs. I don't know what RUS is?

Is Postini an externally hosted mail filtering or gateway solution? If so, the procedure is probably very much like what I had to do recently in conjunction with the hosted service we use. And your firewall administrator, if they are smart, is blocking port 25 from all but Postini IP's.

1) Register the domain name with an Internet registrar (I'm assuming you've done this)
    2) Set up Internet DNS - MX should point to the address given to your for your hosted service provider (sounds like you've already done this)
    3) Set up an A record for your email server's IP address, if desired
    4) Go to your hosted service provider and request for them to add the domain. There is configuration they will have to do on their side.
    5) Set up Exchange to be authoritative for the new domain and assign the domain to recipient policies as required (sounds like you've done this)
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    coax31 wrote:

No need to do this from the internet. Do it internally to the mail server. Heck, RDP to the mail server and telnet to itself and do it.
    Good luck to all!