Options

What to do?

mikasakamikasaka Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi guys,

I am currently studying for my MCDST qualification which most of you probably know is the 70-271 and 70-272 exams. I'm just wondering how I would then reach MCSA? I know i'm probably asking a little soon, but I'd like to know for future reference.

So basically, what other exams would I need to do in order to get the MCSA qualification? Just want to try and get as many qualifications under my belt.

Cheers

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcsa/windows2003/default.mspx

You'll have to do 290, 291, and your choice of a client exam (70-270 or 70-620, XP or Vista, respectively). 270 would probably be pretty easy after 271 and 272, but 620 will give you an opportunity to learn something new and prepare for the MCITP: Enterprise Administrator.

Also note that your MCDST elective will only count for the MCSA, not the MCSE
  • Options
    Cheers for that :D

I think I will go for the 620 examination tbh, especially being as it would get me the MCTS and go towards my MCITP:EST.

Think they are a long way off to be honest xD
    Got to find myself a job too >.<

Thanks again.
  • Options
    Looking at your situation, I'm going to change my advice. You should take 621. That's the upgrade to take your MCDST to MCITP:EST, and it will also fulfill any requirement/elective that requires 620 (such as MCITP:EA).
  • Options
    The MCITP:EA is all 4 MCTS's right?

Hmmm, I guess I'll do that, would have to buy 2 books though instead of just the one.

Guess it's worth it.
  • Options
    Well, if you get your MCSA, you can take an upgrade route as well: http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcts/windowsserver/2008/transition/default.mspx

If you have MCSA and MCDST. You should take 621 to upgrade your MCDST to MCITP:EST, and 648 to upgrade your MCSA. You'd then have to take 643 and 647 to earn your MCITP:EA.

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcts/windowsserver/2008/transition/default.mspx
  • Options
    Thanks again, you have been a great help.

I think I'll aim for the MCSA and then upgrade both the MCDST and MCSA like you said. Then I'll try for the MCITP:EA.

What about the CompTIA examinations? They worth taking?
    I am already A+ certified and have studied N+ (not taking the exam untill I gain some experience).
    Should I be considering the Linux+, Security+ etc?
  • Options
    No problem.

The CompTIA certifications are good for developing a foundation in whichever discipline you choose to pursue. Personally, I enjoyed studying for the Security+ and found the material to be interesting. A good understanding of basic security concepts will benefit pretty much everyone, so you may want to look into that one at some point. If you have an interest in Linux or want to be a bit more well-rounded, tack that on as well.

You might want to add them into the mix if you get bored with studying nothing but Microsoft. However, it would probably be beneficial for you to finish an MS track sooner rather than later. There's no right or wrong way to do it. Just work with what interests you and don't burn yourself out.
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    dynamik wrote:
    The CompTIA certifications are good for developing a foundation in whichever discipline you choose to pursue. Personally, I enjoyed studying for the Security+ and found the material to be interesting. A good understanding of basic security concepts will benefit pretty much everyone, so you may want to look into that one at some point. If you have an interest in Linux or want to be a bit more well-rounded, tack that on as well.

I'll second this one here. Also don't forget that the Security+ will count as an elective towards the MCSE. I think that every good admin should have the Security+ under their belt.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/