MY Goal

HÆLLRÆZORHÆLLRÆZOR Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
I started a goal for myself after I passed the A+ exams on the 26th. The goal I have is to get my i-net+, Network+ and MCSA in the next 4 weeks. Now do you think this gaol is attainable?

p.s. It only took me 1 week to prepare and pass both A+ test. I took this week to prepare for the i-net+ and Net+ exams and plan on knocking them out back to back. MCSA I plan on taking 1 exam a week for the last 3 weeks.

Comments

• viper75viper75 Member Posts: 726 ■■■■□□□□□□
    icon_eek.gif
    CCNP Security - DONE!
    CCNP R&S - In Progress...
    CCIE Security - Future...
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    icon_idea.gif Perhaps you might want to add that you already have at least 6 months thorough experience with Microsoft Windows server and client OSs, and that you have been repairing computers for several years, and that when you say 1 week you mean '1 week at least 10 hours a day of studying, reading, and getting hands-on.'

... without that additional info you won't get a serious reply on your questions, nor will you be taken seriously here or on the job.

What do you use to prepare for your exams? icon_silent.gif

Passing certifications is not a race, it's truely the road to it that counts...
  • viper75viper75 Member Posts: 726 ■■■■□□□□□□
    He is right about that.

I was wondering how you were going to do all of that in in month. I thought you were a n00b and was planning on doing that all from scratch.

bowing.gif

Webmaster wrote:
    :Passing certifications is not a race, it's truely the road to it that counts...
    CCNP Security - DONE!
    CCNP R&S - In Progress...
    CCIE Security - Future...
  • BulletToothTonyBulletToothTony Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I completely agree with the webmaster on this one. I went to tech school for the first half of this year with subject starting in A+ and ending in security. I did the whole MS track. I even came in with a programing/Database background. While I was in school, I figured i would work my butt off in school and take all my tests when I get out. One a week. But I'll tell you, A+ and Net+ are the easy ones. Once you get to your mcp, mcsa they get a whole lot tougher. Even if you get to the point when you know what the answers are before you finish the question, when you look down at the answers to select one, they may ALL be valid, and now you are faced with the answer that would end with "desired results". I may not have alot of certs, but I do have alot of experience, and have practically taken the exams all ready while in school (inorder to move on to the next subject) and a test a week is about as hard as it gets.

Not only that, but research more as well. You will noticed that you need a 700 or about for your MS exams, which doesn't give you alot of room to get questions wrong.

Good luck
  • garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    But I'll tell you, A+ and Net+ are the easy ones. Once you get to your mcp, mcsa they get a whole lot tougher.
    Good luck

Thats true...In all honesty to pass an MCP you have to have experience working with it...I assume it would be hard to pass it on just an idea & theory of how things work..
  • lazyartlazyart Member Posts: 483
    If you want to do this, don't buy all your vouchers at once.
    I'm not a complete idiot... some parts are missing.
  • HÆLLRÆZORHÆLLRÆZOR Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Well I have been fixing and playing with computers since I was 13 (I am 24 now) so the A+ was farely easy for me. I am thinking the I-net + and net+ should be the same. I have a degree in Computer Technology with an emphasis on Networking Technology. In my final networking class we had nothing but lectures, theory and labs. If you failed more than one lab you failed the class. The final was setting up RH-linux as a PDC and having windows 2000 workstations Join the Domain(not as easy as it sounds). I think the teacher did the labs like they do labs for certs, since we had to fix all problems with workstations, install all the O/S's and configure everything from scracth. During that course we mostly concentrated on Windows 2k Adv. server. A ton of Active Directory and a ton of IIS along with basic and advanced administration. It was a great class. So I am confident I can knock out these test. It is just something I want to do to prove to myself that I actually learned all of this stuff in college and was not just wasting my time. If I can knock all these test out then I feel confident that I can do my job and anyone elses at the site that I am currently at. Right now I do basic SAN/NAS administration and Break/Fix. I also do the ocasional network install.
    Webmaster wrote:
    What do you use to prepare for your exams?

My school actually had a class geared toward the A+. I passed that Class, the O/S and Hardware portions with a 98.9% so I just took free practice test that I found by searching on google. I think the best aproach is just like most people on here have said. Experience and hands on. Also compile a database of small worksheets. Like if you want to know about 802.11 technology then do a google search gather the information and print out a document that tells you everything about it. I printed off about 100+ pages for the A+ exam itself. I also keep these pages in a binder just incase I need them for something that I am doing on the job.

I hope that is better information, can I now get a serious reply?
  • janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    Best of luck in your career, and in cert exams.

Sounds like you are well-prepared to attempt such a task.

One never knows until one tries!
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    interesting
    icon_eek.gif

from that perpective i would say good look but don't set a too small of a window for taking the tests (don't go in on prideand pay with zeros) past that i say knock it out then shoot at certs you don't know anything about
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
    I-Net+ Passed Network+ test is soon if I can ever get it scheduled.

I also have to change the time frame due to the fact that I have a proprietary cert to get in the next month. EMC proven professional Associates lvl is the cert. I maintain their equipment but I heard the test are not that easy. So I will be taking 2 months now to finish my Comptia/Microsoft/EMC cert track. I also added the server+ and linux+ due to the fact that I may end up maintaining servers that have a linux O/S. I am also in the process of creating my own Cisco lab in my apartment. I bought a nice cheap rack but now I need a couple of routers anyone know of a place besides e-bay I can get used and cheap equipment.

I hope I can knock all of this out. If I suck bad on the EMC practice test I might have to go 3 months to knock this all out. Oh well I hope my brain can take it.
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    I hope that is better information, can I now get a serious reply?
    I figured you weren't go to knock out these exams with just a week study each without prior experience/study icon_wink.gif
    Now do you think this gaol is attainable?
    sure. It sounds the Net+ will be a walk in the park for you, that combined with your A+ is the elective. Then you 'only' need 210,215, and 218. I'm saying only, because if you prepared for 1 or 2 of those, the other(s) will be a piece of cake because of the hige amount of overlap. (the 218 exam is like 210+215+some216+some217.)

Good luck!
    Webmaster wrote:
    sure. It sounds the Net+ will be a walk in the park for you, that combined with your A+ is the elective. Then you 'only' need 210,215, and 218. I'm saying only, because if you prepared for 1 or 2 of those, the other(s) will be a piece of cake because of the hige amount of overlap. (the 218 exam is like 210+215+some216+some217.)
    Good luck!

Thanks for the information. Maybe it is possible for me to knock the mcsa out before I start the EMC Cert track.