Best way to contact people for references?

GundamtdkGundamtdk Member Posts: 210
I have worked under several supervisors that have left the company and I am thinking about using them for references. I have done good work with them and I have their e-mail address.

I have not been in contact with them ever since they left about 1 year ago.

What is the best way to contact them for references without looking like you're harassing them?

Comments

• undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    "Sir, could I use you as a reference in my current job search?"

Always worked for me so far. Best would be to ask a supervisor before they leave the company though.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    Electronic Mail Message, or a telephone inquiry call if you dont have the former.
  • vistalavistavistalavista Member Posts: 78 ■■□□□□□□□□
    brad- wrote:
    Electronic Mail Message, or a telephone inquiry call if you dont have the former.

icon_rolleyes.gif
  • scheistermeisterscheistermeister Member Posts: 748 ■□□□□□□□□□
    brad- wrote:

I prefer telegraph my self. icon_lol.gif
    Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
  • astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I prefer telegraph my self. icon_lol.gif
    What's a telegraph? That must be one of those new horseless carriages... Personally I find messenger pigeons far more reliable than all that new fangled tech you guys are going on about...

Seriously, like others said, just send an email and ask. The worst they can say is no.
  • AnonymouseAnonymouse Member Posts: 509 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I suppose a friendly call or email works. I just had to call an old supervisor for a reference yesterday afternoon. I hadn't talked to her in months and I left the company on bad terms but me and my old supervisor were chill. I kinda felt bad just calling out of nowhere for that. She's really the only other supervisor than my current one who liked me. Well I had another one who thought highly of me but that was a silly retail job.