Options

Changing IRQs in Win2K

w^rl0rdw^rl0rd Member Posts: 329
Does anyone know why the Change Setting button is always disabled in Device Manager > Device > Resources? How do you change system resources in Win2K with this button disabled? I am logged in as Administrator too.

Comments

• Options
    roynakroynak Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi there,
    That’s because your pc is probably configured as a ACPI pc ( advanced configuration and power interface).
    In Windows, some or all of the devices on your ACPI motherboard may be listed when you view the resources in Device Manager as using the same IRQ (IRQ 9) (to view the list of resources click either Resources by type, or Resources by connection on the View menu). You cannot change the IRQ setting because the setting is unavailable. This occurs because Windows takes advantage of the ACPI features of the motherboard, including advanced PCI sharing. IRQ 9 is used by the PCI bus for IRQ steering. This feature lets you add more devices without generating IRQ conflicts. If you need to manually assign IRQ addresses through the BIOS to a device on an ACPI motherboard, you will need to re-install Windows to force the installation to use a Standard PC HAL.
    During the first phase of Setup, at the Setup is inspecting your computer's hardware configuration screen, press the F5 key than choose standard pc.
    Now finish the installation of windows again.
  • Options
    I can reconfigure my COM1, COM2, & LPT ports though. Also, My IRQs are normal:

1-System Timer
    2/9 - cascaded
    3- COM2
    4-COM1
    5-LPT2
    6-Floppy
    7-LPT1

etc...

Isn't there a BIOS setting I could enable/disable?
  • Options
    Determine Your Computer Type
    Click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel, and then double-click System.Click the Hardware tab, and then click Device Manager to view what is listed under the Computer branch.
    If its ACPI you have to enforce a standard pc with a new setup. ( see my previous mail)
  • Options
    So it should be a Standard PC then right?
  • Options
    Yep, after that you must be able to change irq settings by changing the use of automatic settings. (You can’t do this with every device, for some devices you must force the use of irq within the bios)