what are some best electives for mcsa exam?

after my 70-270, 70-290, and 70-291, what do u guys recommend next to take? best in term of the easiest or least time to study for? best in term what employer look for? best in term that are applicable for future growth?

i was thinking security + or the exchange...but i heard they both are way harder and take longer to study compare to my other mcsa exams?

i definately don't want to take network + or a+. so what exams do u guys recommend?

Comments

• NetAdmin2436NetAdmin2436 Member Posts: 1,076
    Personally, I did security+ as you can't go wrong with that. It's an elective for MCSE as well, something to keep in mind.

Does your company have an exchange server? If so, maybe it would be in yours and your company's interest. They may pay for it.

However, I would say security+ would give you a more rounded knowledge.
    WIP: CCENT/CCNA (.....probably)
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Are you going for an MCSE or do you just want to wrap up your MCSA?

293 shares a lot of content with 291, so that would be my advice if you're looking at getting an MCSE down the road.

Either Exchange or Security+ would be good choices for completing your MCSA.
  • vincentnyc10vincentnyc10 Member Posts: 133
    but didn't u both see what i wrote for security + and exchange...both electives seems to be very hard compare to other exams. is it true for both of you? what one is the easiet beside the vista exam. i dont like vista and i think most company probably wont upgrade to vista and waiting for windows 7 instead. so i think it is a waste of time and money. what is the next easiest exam?
    I think 291, 293 and a little bit of 294 will help you with Exchange. I've heard that that one draws on a lot of content from other exams. I haven't taken it myself though.

The Security+ wasn't anything to scoff at, but I don't think it's nearly as bad as 291. I can't remember what the objectives are, but the questions will be pretty basic (assuming you've gone over the material).

Actually, you'll probably have an easier time than I did since you've done (or will do) 291 prior to it. For example, I only had a vague idea what IPSec was. You should be able to implement it at that point!
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Don't let the difficulty dissuade you. It's just a challenge to step up to! I don't have any experience with the Exchange exam either but I have done the Security+. I did the Security+ before I touched any of the Microsoft exams. It's also the exam I studied the most for. It was a pretty hard exam, but the material I consider stuff that any sysadmin should know. It will also help make things for the 291 & 293 a bit easier. And since you're taking the 291 before you would possibly take this then it should help you with your Security+ knowledge. Don't let the high passing score scare you away from it.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I'll put in another vote for Security+. In addition to being an elective for both MCSA and MCSE, it's also a stand-alone cert that'll give you a little bit of a boost over others with "just" an MCSE. Barring the need for a specific speciality, (such as Exchange or MOM,) I'd say your best bet is Security+.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • jbaellojbaello Member Posts: 1,191 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Ekchange is useful...
  • Mmartin_47Mmartin_47 Member Posts: 430
    I took Exchange. Was pretty fun and intresting actually. Especially using IIS with OWA. Cool stuff.
  • zen masterzen master Member Posts: 222
    I'm a bit confused, I've completed the 70-270 and the 70-290. My plan is to do the 70-291 next, but what's this about the Security+? Can that count towards the MCSA? If i do the 70-291 and Security+ does that mean I'm done?

I actually wanted to do 70-236 (i.e. exchange) . But, that's not taught here, so I'd have to do it on my own.
    I'm a bit confused, I've completed the 70-270 and the 70-290. My plan is to do the 70-291 next, but what's this about the Security+? Can that count towards the MCSA? If i do the 70-291 and Security+ does that mean I'm done?

I actually wanted to do 70-236 or exchange. But, that's not taught here, so I'd have to do it on my own.

Yep. Scroll down to the "Specific third-party certifications" section under the elective alternatives: http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcsa/windows2003/default.mspx

You're not done though. You'd still have three more for the MCSE, and then there's the new 2008 stuff ;)
  • eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Even though you might not like Vista, 70-620 is a good one to do because of the options it gives you. It applies as credit towards the MCITP: EA for Server 2008.

Also, don't underestimate what you can learn from studying a topic that you don't personally like.

As mentioned, Security+ is a good one for an elective.

Both 70-620 and Security+ are excellent topics for self-study.

MS
    Thanks for the heads up guys. I think I'll go the path of doing the 70-291 and then Security+. I don't think I'll be going all the way to MCSE, not with Microsoft planning to revamp their whole certification process in the near future.
  • HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    Go with Exchange. The sooner you learn enterprise level apps above Active Directory, the better.
    Good luck to all!
    Thanks for the heads up guys. I think I'll go the path of doing the 70-291 and then Security+. I don't think I'll be going all the way to MCSE, not with Microsoft planning to revamp their whole certification process in the near future.

Well, MCSA => MCTIP: EA is going to be 4 exams. You'll need three more exams for your MCSE, but you can go MCSE => MCITP: EA with only going to be 3.

In shorty, 4 exams will get you MCSA/MCITP: EA and 6 will get you MCSE/MCITP: EA. Server 2003 will be in strong use for 3-5 years, maybe longer. I'd definitely put the effort in for two more exams. Plus, having those out of the way will make the 2008 material much more manageable since you're only learning the new features instead of having to learn the foundation-level material as well.

More information on the transition here: http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcts/windowsserver/2008/transition/default.mspx

Also, be wary of Exchange recommendations from a guy with MCSE 2003: Messaging and MCITP: Enterprise Messaging Administrator (he might be biased). Just kidding, it's good advice. It really comes down to whether you want to do security or messaging, and it's always good to be experienced with a little bit of both.
  • HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    dynamik wrote:
    Also, be wary of Exchange recommendations from a guy with MCSE 2003: Messaging and MCITP: Enterprise Messaging Administrator (he might be biased). Just kidding, it's good advice. It really comes down to whether you want to do security or messaging, and it's always good to be experienced with a little bit of both.

icon_lol.gif For the record, had he said SQL, I'd have told him SQL. It doesn't matter. Upper end jobs in the Windows world bottom line often go to people who can do Windows, AD, AND an additional application like Exchange, SQL, whatever. For me, I leapfrogged into senior level engineer type of positions because I'm very good at Windows, AD, and I'm an Exchange superfreak. Without my Exchange skills, I'd probably still be working admin/senior admin level jobs.

The problem with Security+ is going that route probably won't net you a high level security job. You probably should consider CISSP, etc. for that. But nabbing an Exchange cert on your way to MCSE might just propel you a rung or two.

P.S. I'm also certified in Exchange 2000, too. Probably could have passed the Exchange 5.5 exam if the darn thing hadn't expired before I got the chance to take it. :P
    Good luck to all!
    Yeh, I'd like to do exchange, but it's hard to find any material on that. No one here does that for their MCSA, so I'd be basically going it on my own. I don't know, I'll take a look at what my options are once I finish CEH, and 70-291. I was stuck on doing Exchange as my elective, but now that I know I can do Security+, that just seems like the better option, plus, I want to do a masters in Security. But, that's a few months away minimum, so who knows what will happen between now and then.
    Yeh, I'd like to do exchange, but it's hard to find any material on that. No one here does that for their MCSA, so I'd be basically going it on my own. I don't know, I'll take a look at what my options are once I finish CEH, and 70-291. I was stuck on doing Exchange as my elective, but now that I know I can do Security+, that just seems like the better option, plus, I want to do a masters in Security. But, that's a few months away minimum, so who knows what will happen between now and then.

You will need 70-284 Implementing and managing Exchange 2003 to get your MCSA:messaging.

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcsa/messaging/windowsserver2003.mspx
    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/exams/70-284.mspx

If you google 70-284 you will come across tons of resources. MS Press books are good, sybex, preplogic, trancender. Here's a press book from Amazon.
    http://www.amazon.com/MCSA-MCSE-Self-Paced-Training-70-284/dp/0735618992/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1216047859&sr=1-2

eMeS posted this link the other day that breaks down the total amount of Microsoft Certs out there, it's kinda cool to see the Number of MCSA:Messaging out there. There's actually alot more MCSA:messaging compared to MCSA:security. If you take Security+, you'd get your MCSA:security.
    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/certified.mspx
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    If you take Security+, you'd get your MCSA:security.

Not quite accurate, you would need an elective such as 70-299 in addition to the Security+ to get the MCSA: Security.

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcsa/security/windowsserver2003.mspx
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
    undomiel wrote:
    If you take Security+, you'd get your MCSA:security.

Not quite accurate, you would need an elective such as 70-299 in addition to the Security+ to get the MCSA: Security.

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcsa/security/windowsserver2003.mspx

Opps, my bad. Thanks undomiel.