Is Novell a problem?

LmanLman Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
Well, I am taking my N+ this Friday for the first time. I have noticed that some people who took it were caught off gaurd by Novell and Apple. Just kind of want to know how deep the questions are for those subjects to be prepared.

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• nicklauscombsnicklauscombs Member Posts: 885
    the best thing for you to do is to goto CompTIA's website and review the current objectives to get a full clear idea

if you have a good understanding of basic novell and apple knowledge you should be good to go, just don't underestimate them asking questions on these topics
    WIP: IPS exam
  • LarryDaManLarryDaMan Member Posts: 797
    I don't remember the questions getting too deep. It was more about knowing about the interoperability between systems. Just make sure you print out the objectives from CompTIA and review the technotes here in addition to what you have been doing.... and we'll all be saying congrats in a few days!
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Those questions are only a problem if you don't know or haven't studied networking on Novell and Apple. icon_wink.gif

Since the Network+ exam is vendor-neutral, a lot of people are thrown off by questions about network operating systems they've never touched. Most people know Windows, a lot of people know Linux/Unix, but not as many are familiar with Apple networking, and even fewer remember anything about Novell networking. Be sure you know all the topics listed on the exam blueprint on the Network+ site, and you should be alright. No need to dig too deep, just know the basics.

And, of course, good luck on Friday!

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • miller811miller811 Member Posts: 897
    Lman wrote:
    Well, I am taking my N+ this Friday for the first time. I have noticed that some people who took it were caught off gaurd by Novell and Apple. Just kind of want to know how deep the questions are for those subjects to be prepared.

Thanks for your help.

You better know this stuff......
    I thought this was a tough exam, which covered anything and everything from the blueprint.
    In my opinion, there were a ton of out of left field questions.
    It also states there a multiple ungraded questions. So try not to get rattled.....

I became extremely p.o.'d during the exam, but came out swinging with a pass.
    I don't claim to be an expert, but I sure would like to become one someday.

Quest for 11K pages read in 2011
    Page Count total to date - 1283
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Slowhand wrote:
    Those questions are only a problem if you don't know or haven't studied networking on Novell and Apple. icon_wink.gif

Since the Network+ exam is vendor-neutral, a lot of people are thrown off by questions about network operating systems they've never touched. Most people know Windows, a lot of people know Linux/Unix, but not as many are familiar with Apple networking, and even fewer remember anything about Novell networking. Be sure you know all the topics listed on the exam blueprint on the Network+ site, and you should be alright. No need to dig too deep, just know the basics.

And, of course, good luck on Friday!

Ditto! :D
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • seuss_ssuesseuss_ssues Member Posts: 629
    The only questions i missed were related to Apple networking. So yeah there are some novell/apple questions. However I still scored very highly on the test. That does not mean that i am not encouraging you to study those topics. However i did put them off and still easily passed. Also take note that i took network+ 3 years ago. Im sure it has changed.

Do as others have suggested check comptias website and learn the objectives. Never hurts to learn anything.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    The thing that annoys me about it is that both Appletalk and IPX are on their way out. I've worked with Macs for years, and they all use TCP/IP. Novell included TCP/IP in version 5 of Netware (199icon_cool.gif, and both Apple and MS no longer natively support it.

I'm all for broadening my horizons, but it's frustrating to have to spend time learning about things that will soon move from obscure to completely obsolete, especially considering that they could add more relevant content in it's place.
  • astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    dynamik wrote:
    I'm all for broadening my horizons, but it's frustrating to have to spend time learning about things that will soon move from obscure to completely obsolete, especially considering that they could add more relevant content in it's place.
    I should give you my copy of the CCNA Study Guide circa 2000, its got a couple pages on ARCnet, now that's useful. ;)