CCDA Lab Needed?

darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
I know labs help for CCNA, but I'm looking at covering CCDA on up to CCDP soon. Do labs help with these exams?

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'll bump your thread..

From what I've seen, many people recommend taking the NP before even the DA. I guess you could say that you indirectly need one. Maybe someone else will be able to elaborate a bit more.
  • malcyboodmalcybood Member Posts: 900 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The CCDA is a theoretical exam and there is minimal switch / router configuration knowledge required to pass.

A good understanding in how routing protocols, voice and basic wireless is configured would do no harm, however the CCDA is more focused on knowing which technology or solution to deploy based on a certain requirement or specification.

I would not say a lab is required however it depends on what your lab consisted of and to what extent you used it. A good memory is more important for this one with all the acronyms and the like.

Malc
  • shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    dynamik wrote:
    I'll bump your thread..

From what I've seen, many people recommend taking the NP before even the DA. I guess you could say that you indirectly need one. Maybe someone else will be able to elaborate a bit more.

You don't really have to have an NP they just suggest BCMSN level knowledge for the DA, I'm probably going to do my DA before I start my NP just because it encompasses alot of different things that I want to learn about now.
  • Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    shednik wrote:
    You don't really have to have an NP they just suggest BCMSN level knowledge for the DA, I'm probably going to do my DA before I start my NP just because it encompasses alot of different things that I want to learn about now.

It doesn't hurt. If you want the CCDP you have to pass the BSCI and BCMSN, which is literally half of the CCNP. Just from reading the cert guide over the last week it seems there is more BSCI-like knowledge on the exam (routing protocols, contents of IP packets, etc).

Without a CCNP this exam would be a lot harder to study for. It seems really easy post-CCNP though.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    Doesn't that work the other way around too? hehe I'm sure not quite as much, but it definitely will make it easier, I'd hope! That's the plan I'm working on now....CCNA on Monday, CCDA, CCDP, then CCNP if I dont go for CCDE.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I suppose it would, but it might make the DP significantly harder than it should be. It'd be like starting with calculus-based physics instead of calculus. Sure, calculus would probably be pretty easy when you got around to it, but the former would be a nightmare (I actually know this from personal experience icon_lol.gif)
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I took the "old" exams. There wasn't much to "lab up" for the CCDA, but I found having a good home lab useful for learning some of the "new stuff" for the ARCH exam. But I did read the DESGN and ARCH books while working on the CCNP -- so some of the CCNP lab work probably also "slipped" into my ARCH preparation.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • GT-RobGT-Rob Member Posts: 1,090
    I can't really thing of anything you could do lab wise. There are a couple of case studies in the CCDA book, but they are just theory stuff.

I would REALLY suggest doing to CCNP first, if you are planning to do them both. Its not impossible by any means to do CCDA first, but doing NP first makes CCDA a walk in the park.