ISC2 Associate certs

PCHoldmannPCHoldmann Member Posts: 450
Anyone have any insights, knowledge, comments on, etc. the CISSP/SSCP Associate certifications? How valuable are they to employers?
There's no place like ^$
Visit me at Route, Switch, Blog

Comments

• NadzzNadzz Member Posts: 70 ■■■□□□□□□□
    PCHoldmann wrote:
    Anyone have any insights, knowledge, comments on, etc. the CISSP/SSCP Associate certifications? How valuable are they to employers?

I have the same question too icon_confused.gif:

Thanks
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    Well, my usual advise is to look on the Web job sites (dice.com, monster.com. hotjobs.com, etc.) and search for "Associate (ISC)2" and see how many job posting are returned. My guess is you'll see few to none. The Associate of the (ISC)2 designation is to help people with little or no InfoSec work experience to get a foothold in the field by becoming a quasi-certified member of the (ISC)2 by passing the SSCP or CISSP exam. Most employers aren't aware of this designation, and they are specifically looking for "SSCP" or CISSP" on your resume, which an Associate of the (ISC)2 is not allowed to use until they have acquired the requisite experience.

We have several members here at TE with the Associate of the (ISC)2 designation, and I think each one of them has found it to be a valuable step forward in their InfoSec career. Whether any of them have gained any significant employment opportunities from the associate designation only they can say.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    When I contacted them regarding the experience requirements for the SSCP, it seemed like they were pretty lax about it. You only need one year in one domain, so given your credentials, I don't think you're going to have a problem qualifying for that. The hardest part for me is going to be finding a sponsor.
  • RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you can't find a sponsor locally, there is an option for the ISC to endorse you.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    That's the first I've heard of that. Thanks!
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    Yes, on the (ISC)2 endorsement form there's a section that allows you to request the (ISC)2 to pick an endorser for you.

Also, anyone here at TechExams with the SSCP or CISSP and endorse other people for (ISC)2 certs. The endorser should make all attempts to verify that the endorsee actually has the requisite experience for the cert. For me, I would just need to see the person's resume (on www.linkedin.com is fine) and have some email "tech chat" with the person regarding InfoSec topics. If the person is a prolithic poster here on TE then the resume will be enough. ;)
  • RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    JDMurray wrote:
    Yes, on the (ISC)2 endorsement form there's a section that allows you to request the (ISC)2 to pick an endorser for you.

Also, anyone here at TechExams with the SSCP or CISSP and endorse other people for (ISC)2 certs. The endorser should make all attempts to verify that the endorsee actually has the requisite experience for the cert. For me, I would just need to see the person's resume (on www.linkedin.com is fine) and have some email "tech chat" with the person regarding InfoSec topics. If the person is a prolithic poster here on TE then the resume will be enough. ;)
    With that thought, I created a new thread where TE - ISC2 members willing to endorse new candidates can post their information.

http://www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=238414#238414