Network+ Question

laptoplaptop Member Posts: 214
A few days ago, I posted a thread on the Security section because I wanted to aim for Security+. But I've decided to start with Network+ instead.

I am planning to dive right into Network+ without going through the A+ book. I have no prior experience but have taken Networking classes before in College. I understand Network+ is a challenging exam.

However, does the Network+ exam consist of materials coming from A+ book? (I don't want to get the A+ certificate but just want Network+)

Will it be easy if i spend 8 months studying for this Network+ exam?

Anyone here took the Network+ exam straight? without taking prerequisites?

Thanks

Comments

• stlsmoorestlsmoore Member Posts: 515 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you've taking a networking classes before and understood the topics fairly well you shouldn't have to many problems with this exam. In your case you could probably get it done within 3 months if you spend and hour or two a day studying I bet. I studied for about a month and a half but I also had about 4-5 years experience with networks so I used mostly sites like this one to fill in the gaps about networking terminology.
    My Cisco Blog Adventure: http://shawnmoorecisco.blogspot.com/

Don't Forget to Add me on LinkedIn!
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/shawnrmoore
  • laptoplaptop Member Posts: 214
    thanks for the reply.

by the way, does anyone know any recent Network+ textbooks that would prepare me for the latest exam?

I found a few books on amazon by Mike Meyers (which the book was published about 4 years ago-and could be outdated???) I also found a Sybex Network+ book online, but its about 5 years old and some of the materials could be outdated as well???

Any experts here can make a good suggestion on a textbook?

thanks
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    So long as the books you are reviewing are based on the N10-003 objectives....they are current.

You may check out the PDF TechNotes here.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • human151human151 Member Posts: 208
    I dont know if your still interested but this is a reply I made in another thread, but it may help you too.

"I just studied the Network + book by Mike Myers and then read the Exam Cram Network +. If you just use those two Books then you should not have any problems. All the info you need to learn can be found in those two books.

Good Luck!!!! "
    Welcome to the desert of the real.

BSCI in Progress...

Cisco LAB: 1x 2509
    1X2621
    1x1721
    2x2950
    1x3550 EMI
  • LmanLman Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I took this test yesterday with only 2 weeks of studying and passed. That was a little close (570) but it wont take you no 8 months. If I had waited a month I would have had a much better score. And as far as the A+ material goes I'm not too sure.
  • brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    laptop wrote:
    A few days ago, I posted a thread on the Security section because I wanted to aim for Security+. But I've decided to start with Network+ instead.
    Good decision
    laptop wrote:
    I am planning to dive right into Network+ without going through the A+ book. I have no prior experience but have taken Networking classes before in College. I understand Network+ is a challenging exam.

However, does the Network+ exam consist of materials coming from A+ book? (I don't want to get the A+ certificate but just want Network+)
    If you're already at least a little computer savvy, dont bother with A+. Its not really a pre-req, and you can learn what you need through the Net+ study materials.
    laptop wrote:
    Will it be easy if i spend 8 months studying for this Network+ exam?
    No. The test was rediculous. Not because the material is rediculous, but the people making the test questions intentionally come up with crazy crap to keep their fail rate up to snuff. Its not as much knowing the material as it is being a good test taker.

I'm not trying to scare you, just trying to say dont take it lightly, and expect to get railroaded with B.S. questions